Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you an Iron Butt? or a Touchy Touche'?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Check all that apply: 1. My butt is so sensitive, I have never found that "perfect" saddle.

5 10.42%
  • My butt is sensitive, but I finally found the right saddle after about 10 different tries.

6 12.50%
  • I found "my" saddle after about 5 tries.

11 22.92%
  • I found my saddle after about 2 tries.

10 20.83%
  • I found my saddle first try.

1 2.08%
  • I am an Iron Butt and can ride anything!

5 10.42%
  • Brooks saddles "rock."

16 33.33%
  • Brooks saddles are "the pits."

4 8.33%
  • I use a unique or different saddle - split or no horn or whatever. Please describe below.

3 6.25%
  • My idea of a entirely unique or different saddle is described below:

2 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saddle Problems - Do You Have Any?

This is a public poll. Folks can see your response by clicking on the response numbers.

OK - I promised this!

Check all that apply.

We frequently hear a lot about folks having saddle problems. Since we hear mostly from the folks who DO have problems, how many don't?

Are you an iron butt? Is your touche' a sensitive place?

Of course, we all know that the Bent folks have no saddle problems. Just ask them and they will gladly tell you! So, they are not included herein.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-01-06 at 07:36 AM.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I found the right saddle after ten tries. Liked it so well I bought three of them. Down to one left now. And OF COURSE they quit making them. Serfas Monaco RS. So, soon I will start my search for the next perfect saddle.
    Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 04-06-06 at 10:00 AM.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks B-67, the Holy Grail. Great for around town or looong day trips.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks never worked for me despite several hundred miles of adjustments, whining, feelings of inadequacy, etc. I always come back to my Regals....they're still available although not (to my knowledge) in perforated, yellow, white, or the incomparable, greenish authentic snake skin. There may be a holy grail, The Ultimate Saddle out there...but, like looking for the Perfect Woman, one has to be realistic and sometimes grab the nearest Almost Perfect Woman. Besides, I don't have a Perfect Butt anyway.

Ultimately, around mile 60 or so......no saddle will be like "floating on a cloud".

Riding sensibly, coming up off the saddle periodically, moving up and down the saddle, being aware that super light gear spinning puts more weight on your butt, etc......can make a saddle seem more comfortable.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    but, like looking for the Perfect Woman, one has to be realistic and sometimes grab the nearest Almost Perfect Woman. Besides, I don't have a Perfect Butt anyway.
    Yeah, but I'm looking for the Perfect Woman with the Perfect Butt.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    with the Perfect Butt.
    Deege, BUTT out.....or, you're gonna love this, put a sock in it!
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Deege, BUTT out.....or, you're gonna love this, put a sock in it!

Touch!

Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this talk makes me squirm. As Far as I am concerned- if I can feel a saddle- then it is going to be uncomfortable. If I can't feel it- then it is the perfect saddle. Must mean that I stand a lot. Only ever found one like that and I broke it after 500 miles.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Yeah, but I'm looking for the Perfect Woman with the Perfect Butt.
    No woman has a perfect butt, just ask her. Well maybe no woman except Queen Latifa in Beauty Shop. . .

"Does my butt look big in this?
    "Yes mama.
    "Great!"
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary.......that saddle offer still stands. BTW....that comment above was made in fun ....sometimes my flip style goes over the top-- no if's, ands, or butt's.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    All this talk makes me squirm. As Far as I am concerned- if I can feel a saddle- then it is going to be uncomfortable. If I can't feel it- then it is the perfect saddle. Must mean that I stand a lot. Only ever found one like that and I broke it after 500 miles.
    Precisely. That is the exact quality I get from my B-67's. They disappear after three miles and don't come back no matter how far i ride. There are other great saddles out there, but I've stopped looking.

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys, no wise-cracks here!

During my first summer touring I was on the verge of quitting several times because of constant chaffing. I had a good ergonomic saddle - don't remember the brand. For my second summer, after fantasizing for months about the perfect saddle, I simply added a heavy duty cushion to the "butt-plate" of the saddle, and lowered the saddle an equal amount. Voila! No more chaffing. My initial thought each morning now is "Ahhh, that feels good". I've had 3 summers using it, and I wouldn't trade it for ...well...I might consider that Perfect woman with the Perfect butt.........

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first rode trails, the pain afterword would last at least a week. I purchased a Bontrager CRZ Plus saddle and that solved my problem. Now, I use a stock Specialized mountain bike seat for trails and a Ritchey saddle for the limited road biking that I do. I still use the CRZ Plus on my Nishiki that use on the local MUP.
    Strange, I can't ride the Bontrager saddle and wear Pearl Izumi padded shorts. either one works fine, but together I get substantial chafing.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WORST recumbent seat is still 10 X better than the best DF saddle!

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    All this talk makes me squirm. As Far as I am concerned- if I can feel a saddle- then it is going to be uncomfortable.
    Sounds like saddle nirvana! If only...

Steve

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we can saddle our differences...

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried lots of different saddles. Ended up with a Terry Liberator Sport. The model is not made now, so if I ever destroy it, guess I'll be searching again. Probably try the Terry Ti Race, have heard it is a good one, at least I can get my money back if I don't like it! (I do like Terry's refund policy-though I didn't have to use it).

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat
    The WORST recumbent seat is still 10 X better than the best DF saddle!
    You got that right!

When I used to punish myself by riding a hybrid, I must have went through about 10 saddles trying to find one that wouldn't hurt. I finally found one that was tolerable. Shortly after that I test rode a bent. I'm very comfortable now and haven't ridden the hybrid since.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, but 'bents are still not the equivalent of The Perfect Butt. I recall from putting in miles on my Tailwind a pain in the tailbone-- and one doesn't shift weight quite as easily on a bent. But, yes, most people would agree bents are better for your butt.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't have a huge problem finding a good saddle, althought these days, a lot of the new stuff has embroidery and multiple seams, which just ain;t right! To my mind, a completely smooth surface material makes the most sense; and my own personal testing seems to bear this out.
    Sooo, a lot of the new stuff is out. Also, the narrow stuff is out. Even though I can ride a <140 mm width, it means more chance of possible injury. Just a slight movement to one side, on a narrow saddle, means I might slip off a bone and put hard pressure on a major nerve (read sciatic...), blood vessel or one of the other numerous tubes goin thru there. A saddle of 143+ mm offers enough insurance so I won;t slip off.

Then the problem is finding enough good seats to equip the 'fleet', which currently stands at 10 steeds, and varies at any time between 6 & 10. Imagine if I were to decide some $100 piece of overpriced plastico was the only thing I could ride?
    lately I've lucked into finding some good used seats on ebay, but that isn't an assured supply.
    New riders (last 6-8 years) don't know how good the older stuff was. Their universe is only populated by squishy gel or overstylized, overpriced butt hatchets.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    This is a lesson learned for me...don't ride anything but a Regal. It is just too close to being my ideal saddle.
    How close is a Regal to a Brooks? I ask, because I had bad luck with a B.17. Are the Regals better suited to riding in the drops than a B.17?

Steve

Florida to Oregon in 2007 lighthorse@eart's Avatar
    My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been a part of the great saddle hunt since I began riding three years ago. I can ride on anything but some saddles really piss me off. I liked one that came stock on my Trek 7500 but I wore it out (the cover ripped and came completely off). The stock saddle on my Lemond was a real torture device. I found one (Specialized brand) that I have 6000 miles on but its cover is also splitting. The seat that came on my Scattante seems to be a good one for comfort, but I replaced it with a Brooks Pro. Now I have two that I will use until they wear out.
    lighthorse
    03 Lemond Buenos Aires
    97 Trek 7500 (needs work)
    05 Scattante CFR
    06 Burley Hudson
    Melbourne, Fl.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After putting a ton of miles on a Marin hardtail mountain bike I found the stock saddle to be quite good. I just got a new Novara Randonee and set up the bike up to match my mountain bike:

Saddle Height (See Rivendell Bikes for a great fitting guidelines http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/htm...tisframes.html)

Saddle Distance from Bars

Angle of Saddle - Nose Up / Down

I have used (just bought a B17) Brooks in the past and love them. Just haven't put it on my new bike yet.

I have found that with a good saddle set up wrong your going to hurt! A bad saddle plus bad fit just compounds the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    How close is a Regal to a Brooks? I ask, because I had bad luck with a B.17. Are the Regals better suited to riding in the drops than a B.17?

Steve
    Regals are about 5mm narrower across the back than a B-17 and, like the B-17, have a slight dip between nose and tail (as opposed to, say, a San Marco Rolls of the same era which is flatter). I like the swoop for my particular behind...it allows my fore/aft movement while riding to get a different "angle of pressure" (call it whatever) on my sit bones. Also something to push back against when climbing.

I returned to a Regal after being frustrated by the B-17. Padding is firm and dense with a bit of give, but not enough to bunch up or redistribute itself and cause unusual pressure points.

To answer your question, Steve, the Regal is much better for me in the drops where I ride at least a third of the time (bars about an inch below bottom of saddle so this is easy) because the Regal's nose, unlike the Brooks', does not gouge into my nards and, somehow, the cutaway shape of the saddle is just more suitable for being "down" and leaning forward. At the same time, the Regal is broad enough in back for more upright position on the hoods or bar tops. I ride with nose and rear of saddle level with no tilt.

While not light as saddles go these days, they are lighter than a B-17. For their price, about $70 to $90, Regals are worth a look as a plastic shell saddle that's an alternative to a B-17. I have no experience with a Brooks Pro.

As always, saddle fit is personal and one person's recommend may be another's downfall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the absolutely Final Word on saddles, Big Paulie and I refer you to Sheldon Brown's treatise at

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

This will sharply focus the issue of comfort vs. manhood. Either you are with us or you are....a wimp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast