Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not a race, it is not a race, it is....

April begins the series of organized group rides in the Carolinas. It's not hard to find a ride within an hour's drive of the house just about any weekend.

Yesterday I drove over and did a ride not too far from Charlotte. It was a first time event and had 70-80 riders. Since it started on a college campus there were a lot of young riders and surprisingly a lot of female riders.

There were two route options, 30 and a metric century and I did the metric century route. I jumped out with a few folks that seemed to want to get on down the road. It quickly turned into a group of 5 of us---3 young guys and two 50+.

After about 20 miles the other 50+ and I sat up and rode our own pace, taking turns pulling. Interestingly this really nice fellow and I had met last year on the Assault on Mt Mitchell. After we figured that out we had a great ride and talked for the next 25 miles or so.

Okay, so it is NOT a race but wait......there's riders out there ahead of me. Note to self: ignore those voices in the future.

With 15 miles to go I felt pretty good but my new found buddy said to go ahead as he was straining more on the hills so I picked up the pace a little. Up ahead I saw one of the 3 young fellows we had started with. I was able to pull him in within a mile or so and he and I really picked up the pace. In fact, we chased down one of the other young guys with about 5 miles to go. By the time we passed him he seemed to really be struggling and didn't feel like riding our pace.

So, now there is only one more fellow out there ahead of us. I never saw him but it certainly wasn't because of lack of effort towards the end of the ride.

It was a good tune-up for upcoming events. Things I need to work on: hydrate better during the week and during the ride (I've got to watch my clock on the ride), eat more/plan better ( I don't stop and didn't take enough nourishment with me for the effort involved) and most importantly remember to take my darn camera!!! I could have had some terrific pics before and after the ride!!!

This was the warmest day we've had this year but still had the March winds. Not a bad day at all to ride. Immediately after the ride I ventured over and played 18 holes of golf (hey- is that a biathalon?? to prepare for the upcoming Pro-Am event in May). Today I'm heading out to do 80 miles to the top of Mt Mitchell and back-LOT of climbing on tired legs. Not sure how that is going to go as I broke my training regime and succumbed to a really tasty margarita last night.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    There were two route options, 30 and a metric century and I did the metric century route. I jumped out with a few folks that seemed to want to get on down the road. It quickly turned into a group of 5 of us---3 young guys and two 50+.

Okay, so it is NOT a race but wait......there's riders out there ahead of me. Note to self: ignore those voices in the future.

It was a good tune-up for upcoming events. Things I need to work on: hydrate better during the week and during the ride (I've got to watch my clock on the ride), eat more/plan better ( I don't stop and didn't take enough nourishment with me for the effort involved) and most importantly remember to take my darn camera!!! I could have had some terrific pics before and after the ride!!!

Not sure how that is going to go as I broke my training regime and succumbed to a really tasty margarita last night.

My training rides start in about 3 weeks time and is FLAT charity 40 miler. Luckily the route is one I know, but there are plenty of short sharp rises and lots and lots of corners. Last year there were about 500 riders, and the one thing that surprised me were the number of 12year olds doing it on BMX's They did a shorter 25 mile route, but those kids shocked me- I would not like to do 25 miles on a BMX.
    This will be our first road ride on the Tandem this year and we will be going for it- last year we took 2 1/2 hours for the 40 but it was those corners that got us- and the fact that we got delayed by the press at the start as we do look the business- and had to chase down the rest of our group. Nothing better than seeing someone in the distance and overhauling them. As you pass them you get the breathing under control so you do not let them know how much you are hurting, but a cheery wave as you pass the bloke in all the gear- the 17lb road race bike and the 54 front sprocket does me a power of good. Then I can start puffing again.

The Tandem has to ride alone- Not many can stay with it on the flat- No-one can live with it on any downhill, but on a short ride like this we still have to work hard uphill. Get the occasional rider that can't believe that a mountain bike can go that fast, and last year actually had someone chase us down after we passed him as He could not believe his eyes- 2 old blokes on a mountain bike, and he struggled to stay with us.
    Haven't you learnt yet- margarita's are not the best pre ride meal. A good curry the night before or the morning of the ride is far better. Nothing wrong with pitza- except I don't like them- plenty of carbs with just enough protein. Far better is a good Full breakfast a couple of hours before the ride, and do the ride quick and find a good cafe for Sticky buns and coffee after wards. Unfortunately- this ride is in a seaside town that is famed for its Fish & Chips, so guess what an early lunch is going to be?

Still having trouble posting as I had a duplicate posting that I have just deleted.

JPPE--- on the hydration- we now have camelbacks and We remind each other to drink- Perhaps a timer on the bike ringing every 10 minutes would help- This morning we did a ride and neither of us drank at all- but did have an extra coffee before the start and 1/2 way through the ride went to Costa Coffee for a Big coffee.
    Last edited by stapfam; 04-02-06 at 02:20 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan