Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Chasing Rain

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chasing Rain

Weather still not with us for offroading and the wind this morning was gusting to 35mph. Decided that a 10 mile road ride to the coast- have a coffee, and then go offroad with the wind behind us would be the best bet- That ride to the coast had the headwind and at times was more than 35mph. Almost stopped the bike at times.
    Had the coffee and took the steepest climb up to the hills. Guess what- the wind was still in our faces- the direction had changed. That steep hill we have done several times on our night riding but had daylight to look around- Looking at the kerb at the side of the road gives you a good idea of gradient and although I knew it was steep, was surprised to estimate it at 1 in 5 (20%) it did not seem that steep, even with the headwind, but the Tandem suddenly got heavier. Looked to the kerb and it was now 1 in 4 (25%). Still in a high gear but the gusting headwind started as we got to an exposed bit of the hill. That was hard. Still managed it in middle ring-(36) and quite pleased- And when we turned for home we woud have a tailwind. Like hell we did- It was a strong gusty sidewind on exposed hills and we struggled to keep in line- No way were we going to even chance a fast downhill with that sidewind. Then the temperature got colder- Sure sign of rain on the way and the clouds darkened, and darkened and--- nothing happened. It just stayed cold. Eventually struggled home to find the trails a bit "Moist" and slippery but not a bad ride in the conditions and glad we got home before the rain-- We hadn't-- Luck was with us and we had followed the rain all the way home. We were never more than 10 miles from home and The wife was moaning that she had not got out in the Garden this morning. About 5 minutes after we left- it started raining and it got heavier and heavier and heavier and stopped about 10 minutes before we got home.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Guess what- the wind was still in our faces- the direction had changed.
    The first rule of cycling is that the wind shifts so you are always going into it. At least, that is what happens to me. Lucky you missed the rain, though.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Guess what- the wind was still in our faces- the direction had changed.
    The first rule of cycling is that the wind shifts so you are always going into it. At least, that is what happens to me. Lucky you missed the rain, though.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall reading somewhere (and experience supports this) that there are more points on the compass where wind slows your riding than aids it.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    I recall reading somewhere (and experience supports this) that there are more points on the compass where wind slows your riding than aids it.
    Check. Even if the wind is slightly behind you, you have to steer into it to some degree to balance its force.
    I am not sure at what point you get a net gain from the wind. It sounds like something the long lost BIKE TECH magazine would have covered.
    This space open

dck
    My Bikes
    '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18, '81 Fuji S12-S Mixte
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Headwinds and hills are the same. Since I live on a hill I have the choice of beginning my rides going up or going down. Logic would say it shouldn't make any difference, but alas we all know it does.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    QUOTE=stapfam]Weather still not with us for offroading and the wind this morning was gusting to 35mph. .------------------------------and stopped about 10 minutes before we got home.[/QUOTE]

Out tonight on the same route- but in reverse - No wind-But did more offroad due to fantastic trails.

That trail has dried out to Good Fun in just 3 days. Getting lighter but unbelievable sunset over the hills. Only problem was as soon as the sun went down I froze. At 6 pm- just as I was getting ready the weather still had signs of being good so left off the leggings- changed to long fingered gloves from the winter ones, and only one pair of socks. By 7.30 I was cold- Feet were just about OK, the body was warm but not overly but the Hands- they were Frozen. Consolation- Could not open the wallet to pay for coffee due to numb hands- Co-rider paid.

This was written last night but it would not post. The other good point was that we pushed hard all the way last night and I did not feel it this morning at Work. Body is a bit tired but no muscle ache or tight bits. Both Stuart and I said the same thing- If our Big ride was this weekend- we could do it. Perhaps we've peaked 6 weaks early- but still have a bit of mental training to do yet.That will mean getting down the Gym and working till it hurts- then keeping going till it hurts some more- so that on the ride I will not even think about walking up any hills unless my leg has just fallen off.(Then as its a Tandem- I'll still be able to carry on.)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan