User Tag List

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help! Suggestions???

I have Nike bike shoes with SPD cleats. On longer rides, I've been getting discomfort in the ball of both feet, not so much when riding as later on. It feels like my socks are wadded up right on the ball of the foot. I've tried thick socks and thin ones but no difference. I've just inserted some inexspensive insoles with the ball area cut out and will try that next. The sensitivity stays with me for days after riding and I fear the longer rides I have planned will only agrevate it more.
    "Whoever wants to reach a distant goal must take many small steps" -Helmut
    Schmidt

06 Bacchetta Giro 20

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

foot pain

Try moving your cleats back towards the rear of your foot, it helped my identical pain somewhat, but not totally
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CHECK YOUR BLOOD SUGAR!

This was one of the very first symptoms I hadů in a comedy of stupid errors that led to Type II diabetes.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditch the clipless pedals. Platforms are the way to comfort.

My Bikes
    Steve Bauer Whirlwind, Nishiki International, Rocky Mountain Element 30 1984 Cinelli Super Corsa w/Campy 50th, Surly LHT.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fear it is not a bike problem - get thee to a podiatrist. I had the same problem - turns out I have "no fatty pads on the ball of my right foot" I told her it was probably the only place on my body that I had no fatty pads! She fitted me with an orthotic which actually seemed to help. Good luck.

Coyote!
    Toolboy spake. . .

>>>I fear it is not a bike problem - get thee to a podiatrist

I'll add "or the medical professional of your choice". I've got an ancient biking injury in the hip that radiates pain to the self-same spot when I cycle [or run/walk/garden/****/you get the picture]. Just suggesting along with others that it might not be the cycling that's doing it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, see a medical professional. Make sure it's not something other than the cycling. If you get a clean bill of health, consider shoes with even stiffer soles and playing around with cleat adjustment. I found that my feet feel best with the cleats slightly toward the outside of my foot instead of directly over the ball of the foot. But, see a medical professional first.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkijohn
    I have Nike bike shoes with SPD cleats. On longer rides, I've been getting discomfort in the ball of both feet, not so much when riding as later on. It feels like my socks are wadded up right on the ball of the foot. I've tried thick socks and thin ones but no difference. I've just inserted some inexspensive insoles with the ball area cut out and will try that next. The sensitivity stays with me for days after riding and I fear the longer rides I have planned will only agrevate it more.
    Hi Hawkjohn,

What model Nike shoes are these? Are the soles stiff enough? When Linda and I first started using clipless, we went with SPD and a cheaper pair of Specialized shoes. We both were having similar problems to yours - hot spots on the balls of the feet - when our mileage was increasing. Then we switched to shoes with much stiffer soles ("road" shoes I guess you could call them) and things got better.

Later on, we went to Speedplay pedals (a larger platform area) and stiffer shoes yet and have not had any problems since.

But, like others have said, consult a physician if the problem persists without riding!

Take care, and good luck!

Steve

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Later on, we went to Speedplay pedals (a larger platform area)... Steve

Yeah, these are great knee savers too. Take some time getting used to the complete free play with lateral movement, but well worth it.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Hi Hawkjohn,

What model Nike shoes are these? Are the soles stiff enough? When Linda and I first started using clipless, we went with SPD and a cheaper pair of Specialized shoes. We both were having similar problems to yours - hot spots on the balls of the feet - when our mileage was increasing. Then we switched to shoes with much stiffer soles ("road" shoes I guess you could call them) and things got better.

Later on, we went to Speedplay pedals (a larger platform area) and stiffer shoes yet and have not had any problems since.

But, like others have said, consult a physician if the problem persists without riding!

Take care, and good luck!

Steve
    I can't find a model or number on them. They do seem very stiff. I will try moving the cleats out and back to experiment with that. I may also try a pair of "SOLE" inserts. They're the ones you heat in an oven and them stand on for a couple of minutes while warm. I have a pair in hiking boots and love them.
    Schmidt

06 Bacchetta Giro 20

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try different shoes until you find a brand that's comfortable. I use nothing but Adidas cycling shoes these days. Adidas used to all use the same soles, except now they've got a newer lightweight sole. When I used different brands, I'd get pain on the outside of the foot at that bone just behind the small toe on long rides. Using the same brand, I think my feet have got used to the sole. I always get the same size (I used to use size 43, but with clipless pedals I can use 44, which are more comfortable). Adidas cycling shoes used to be hard to get, but they'd usually be on sale, so anytime I'd see them on sale, I'd buy them. I've got about 4 pairs of Adidas cycling shoes I use right now (one for raod races, one for track races, and two for training/commuting/rain); I feel like Imelda Marcos. Now I understand girlfriends who have twenty or thirty pairs of shoes...

- Luis

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hawkjohn:
    A couple summers ago while on a long tour I had a similar problem, but there was no LBS nearby to try out different shoes (to say nothing of the added expense) - I went to the drug store and bought a pair of Dr. Scholles gell shoe inserts. I cut the heel part off because they raised the heel too high, and just placed the ball part in the shoe...no more pain, and I'm still using them. Did the trick for me. Sometimes the options are minimal when you're on the road.

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    Try moving your cleats back towards the rear of your foot, it helped my identical pain somewhat, but not totally
    I've moved them as suggested. Have not had much riding weather since but did do a quick 8 miles and I didn't notice any problems. I did see the DR this morning. He said he thinks it's loss of fatty pads and said my arches have fallen some. Suggested I get gel pads for the metatarcel (sp) area. I did just get my "Sole" inserts delivered and will do the installation process later today. If I get the weather I'm hoping for tomorrow, I'm hoping to go after my first century. That will not only test my feet, but the rest of me too! Metric two weeks ago is my previous high. Wind, or lack of, will determine if I do go for it.
    Schmidt

06 Bacchetta Giro 20

My Bikes
    Steve Bauer Whirlwind, Nishiki International, Rocky Mountain Element 30 1984 Cinelli Super Corsa w/Campy 50th, Surly LHT.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said he thinks it's loss of fatty pads
    See I told you it was the fatty pads!! Mmmmmm ........ fatty pads!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've moved them as suggested. Have not had much riding weather since but did do a quick 8 miles and I didn't notice any problems. I did see the DR this morning. He said he thinks it's loss of fatty pads and said my arches have fallen some. Suggested I get gel pads for the metatarcel (sp) area. I did just get my "Sole" inserts delivered and will do the installation process later today. If I get the weather I'm hoping for tomorrow, I'm hoping to go after my first century. That will not only test my feet, but the rest of me too! Metric two weeks ago is my previous high. Wind, or lack of, will determine if I do go for it.
    Hoping the adjustments and insoles are going to work. About 7 years ago I bought a new pair of SPD shoes. For the first couple of months they hurt on the longer rides- I have just damaged them and gone back to my spare pair of Summer shoes and they are causing me problems. Just Hope I dont have to run in a new pair of winter shoes as they will cause me a problem.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something worked!

I did two things.......moved cleats all the way back and installed the "SOLE" footbeds. Almost no discomfort following a CENTURY yesterday. I think I will take the Dr's advice and still get some gel metatarsal pads as well.
    Schmidt

06 Bacchetta Giro 20