User Tag List

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has gotta be the shortest post in the history of BF - maybe it got caught in the time warp of "spring foreward" to Daylight saving time!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably the 10th time I've tried to post this. Not sure why it never uploads......

I attempted to post this Sunday night but the server issues kept logging me out. Great to see it fixed!! It's certainly not as interesting as cruisers!!

The weather in the mountains of NC was just incredible Sunday-perfect for riding. The temps were in the 70's with hardly any wind.

I took off from my sister-in-law's house and within about 10 miles hit the Blue Ridge Parkway, and headed north towards Mt Mitchell. With the 62 miles on Saturday I intentionally took it pretty easy on this one. There were lots of other cyclists with the same idea as me and were riding on the Parkway going towards Mitchell as well.

The Madone is an excellent climbing bike but I'm still looking forward to Miss Lightweight arriving this week. I'll try and get it up to the mountains for a similar ride the first chance I get.

I was running short on time and the weather was getting "undesirable" near Mt Mitchell-I had not brought any additional clothing. About 6-7 miles from the base of Mitchell I turned around and zoomed back down the Parkway. I guess I earned the return trip after climbing around 5000+ ft going up. What took 2+ hours going up only took about 40 mins to get back down.

Anyway, I wound up with another metric Century Sunday. It had been a while since I had metrics on consecutive days......and probably the first time the second day included as much climbing that I had on Sunday.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe,

sounds like a great weekend. I usually have to take the day off before and after I ride 60+. Not yet ready for back to backs. Out on my daily yesterday and came up to a gentleman in his 60s riding a nice older Trek US postal bike with fancy Mavic Carbone wheels. I asked him how much he was riding today and I thought he said 100. I said, that sounds great how many more miles until you get to 100. He says no he has already done 100 and he is on is way to meet a club to ride another 40 for the day. Says he generally rides 50 in the morning and 50 in the evening 3-4 days a week. I just though how great it would be to be that age, that fit and have that much time to ride my bike each week.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    jppe,

Out on my daily yesterday and came up to a gentleman in his 60s riding a nice older Trek US postal bike with fancy Mavic Carbone wheels. I asked him how much he was riding today and I thought he said 100. I said, that sounds great how many more miles until you get to 100. He says no he has already done 100 and he is on is way to meet a club to ride another 40 for the day. Says he generally rides 50 in the morning and 50 in the evening 3-4 days a week. I just though how great it would be to be that age, that fit and have that much time to ride my bike each week.
    I was out on a 1 day 80 mile ride offroad with one of my friends, and is a ride that is one of the cycle tours 2 or 3 day jaunts. Have to try one of those one day. Got to 10am from a 6 am start and we started up one of the long climbs. For an 80miler you do not put everything into it so were not surprised when a group that started about 100yards after us soon caught up with us. These were the business- top rate bikes- Riders had muscles where they should have been and the first 3 that caught up with us were gorgeous. Yep A girls group out riding. Started chatting and they asked where we were off to- Queen Elizabeth Park- was our reply-- "Us too" said the girls-Next question- "Where did you start" asked the girls- "Eastbourne" we replied-- "No where did you start this morning- and were you in a hotel or B&B?" "Eastbourne" we replied again and at that they dropped back. Then another gorgeous girl on an even better bike caught us up and she could not stop laughing. She was the head of this group and they were on a 3 day trek- doing what we were doing in one day. When they saw us and how slow we were travelling- the 3 "Cocky" girls had decided to show the rest how fit they were by catching us up. They had meant to impress us with the distance they were riding on this expedition, but Us two riders- had shown that they were not as fit as they should have been.

Memory has dimmed things now, but on a similar ride around this time we met a couple of Danish Girls on the same ride. Not as Good looking as the first group we met, but they were riding across the south of England and doing as much as possible offroad. One of their fathers was in a back up vehicle that met them at Midday and night. We met them on the second day and they planned 95 miles that day. The previous day they had arrived at Dover and ridden 115 miles but they cheated apparantly as they had done 70 of it on the road. We asked then to keep in contact and 3 days later they had reached the tip of Cornwall. About 400 miles in 5 days, and at least half of it offroad. Now that is what I call back to back metrics as 6 days later they were on the boat home after riding back again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan