Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aside from after a ride in the rain, how often do you wash your bike(s)?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wash my bike(s) after every ride

1 2.27%
  • About once a week or two

8 18.18%
  • Couple of times a month

4 9.09%
  • Every month or so

17 38.64%
  • Once a quarter

3 6.82%
  • At the beginning and at the end of the riding season

1 2.27%
  • Wash my bike? I'm supposed to do that?

10 22.73%
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How often do you wash your bike(s)?

I'm a lazy slob, so I don't wash my bike(s) very often, but then again, neither do I wash my car that often either.

So, what's typical around here?

(By the way, I've tried to post this a dozen times over the past two days, so if you're seeing it, there's been a miracle!)

EDIT: The second question should read "Every week or SO" (sigh)
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really "wash" my bike all I do is take a moist towel and brush and clean and wipe dry as I go.
    I don't want to get a bunch of water in all the places it's not supposed to be.

Jack, aka:makeitso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wipe it down with a small towel and windex. It takes 10-20 minutes, depending on how thorough a job.

My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly clean it after a rough ride in rain or slush. I pay special attention to the components and chain.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilfreeandhappy
    I mostly clean it after a rough ride in rain or slush. I pay special attention to the components and chain.

Same here. I will take off the chain to clean & lube as well as other drivetrain equipment. It sure seems smoother afterwards. I'm still looking for the perfect chain lube though......

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wash the entire bike, heavy on the wheels and drive train every two weeks. After riding in the rain I wipe it down and relube the chain. If I wait a month the bike starts making grinding and squeeking noises that drive me nuts. Of course I wash my car almost every week.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually wipe it down after each ride and only wash it about once a month unless the weather has been especially bad. Then it gets washed down as needed.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never! I don't believe in getting it purposely wet. I wipe it with a cloth occasionally.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clean the drive train every couple of weeks. A thorough washing and waxing only happens every month or so.
    Just Peddlin' Around

LMCM wannabe
    My Bikes
    Peugot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After every ride in the wet, otherwise every week or two. I do a complete wash - spray with TruckWash, clean with a soft brush (3" paintbrush), clean wheel hubs and rims with a toothbrush, douse with a soluble wax cleaner (car wax), then blow dry with compressed air. The chain and rear cluster come off and are cleaned in kero, blown dry, oiled with a teflon based oil, and the idler bushes are greased. When thoroughly dry all moving parts are oiled including cables (using a cable oiler) and any minor adjustments are made (to account for cable stretch etc.). About once a month the wheel bearings are repacked too.
    Got the cleaning down to under an hour and bearings to about 20min. It's worth the trouble - the bike runs like a Swiss watch after this.
    "Live today as if it is your last, plan for tomorrow as if you will live forever"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I answered the last one but for me it should read- Wash my bike? I AM supposed to do that.

Wednesday night again so nightriding and there is no way I am going to wash it Tonight- After next sundays ride --YES, but not tonight.

Now I used to wash my bike after every ride- even if it was road ride. Does get rid of the flies and dirt, and cow pats and the sheep dung, but more than that- Once clean I can lube the cable inners- deraillers, chain and even spray the frame with water displacement oil (WD40) and clean it- I don't mind riding a dirty bike- but I do like to check that everything is in good condition for the next ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Same here. I will take off the chain to clean & lube as well as other drivetrain equipment. It sure seems smoother afterwards. I'm still looking for the perfect chain lube though......

Pedros-- all types But I use SYN LUBE if it is going to be a wet ride and Extra Dry if it is going to be a dry dusty ride.

Spike Milligan

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to let the mud build up on the Rockhopper. It was sort of a badge of honor testifying to the amount of trail riding I was doing. Then the mud started interferring with the front deraileur big time. So now I wash it after any ride that was muddy, otherwise I don't wash my MTB's. My MUP bike picks up a lot of dust so I wash it about once every two months.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never. I keep it extremely clean but never "wash" it. Clean the drive train with Pedro's biodegradable stuff every 600 miles. Polish the Ti with Mother's metal polish. Just use a soft rag on the other parts. It GLEAMS. Oh I should mention I live where we get only 11" of precip a year. 13,000 miles or so and never ridden in the rain

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wash it like a car.... just wipe it down with a damp cloth and maybe a squirt of Simple Green. I rinse it more often except in the summer. As a matter of fact, I rinsed it three times just this afternoon while I was out for a 30 mile ride.

Dogbait

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm usually on crushed limestone rail/trails, so usually after every ride. But if I get to ride on a paved trail then it would only get washed when it gets dirty.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

05 Roubaix Comp Double
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since i got carbon in Dec,i've only washed it twice. Most the time i just wipe it down with pledge wipes.
    Touch every 3rd person and you'll find an idiot.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually I just wipe it down. Unless I do a day of riding in the rain, then it gets a complete wash and lube. The rear wheel needs cleaning more than any part on account of the lube residue spinning off of the chain. Over time this causes a fine mist on the wheel, attracting dust and dirt.
    jppe - If you find that perfect lube, let me know. I am not a great fan of the teflon lube as I think it spins off of the chain more than others attracting dirt. I actually use 3 in 1 alot.

05 Roubaix Comp Double
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got to much lube on the chain if its doing that.

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah...does leaving it out in the rain count ?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p8rider
    Usually I just wipe it down. Unless I do a day of riding in the rain, then it gets a complete wash and lube. The rear wheel needs cleaning more than any part on account of the lube residue spinning off of the chain. Over time this causes a fine mist on the wheel, attracting dust and dirt.
    jppe - If you find that perfect lube, let me know. I am not a great fan of the teflon lube as I think it spins off of the chain more than others attracting dirt. I actually use 3 in 1 alot.
    3 in 1 oil is too thin, Already answered that I use Pedros and this is a bike specific oil. Used to be a chain oil Called Black Gold and this was the best oil I have ever used. It stayed on the chain and lubricated really well. If you ever go to a race meeting- you will fing the mechanics lubricating every single pin with just a drop of oil and on every pin. Takes a long time and I can't be bothered with that. After every ride- remember I am offroad- I clean the chain- wash it out with water and then spray with WD40. Let it drain for an hour and then Liberraly oil the chain. In the summer- I will also use a wax on the chain and work it into the chain. Then before the next ride I have a nicely lubricated Chain with no surplus to spray over the wheel. Then there are the times when I grab the bike- throw oil on the chain and go. Oil on the wheel rim does not bother me- I have Disc brakes and rarely do I find any oil on the chain or wheels after a ride in any case. The other point is that I would rather have an over lubed chain than a dry one. Even if it does make the bike dirty.

Spike Milligan

05 Roubaix Comp Double
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WD = not on a bike.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    every other week I wipe them down and use pledge or wax.

drive train is cleaned twice a month also
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"