User Tag List

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heaven help me. I just bought two more bikes!

Well, I swear Craigslist is going to be the end of me. I started considering getting a used beach cruiser for my daughter's every other weekend visit with me to give her something simple to ride, and last night I found a guy selling TWO for a hundred and change. I was the first caller, so...they're sitting in my living room now!

Granted, nothing fancy. Two matching Huffys which actually appear to be nearly brand new. I realize these are low end cheapos but I don't care! The tires are new, the frames have no rust except just a bit around the stems. I wish they had fenders but they don't.

So, one for her, and one for me, and we'll take little 5 mile rides and laugh our fool heads off and be outside and be together, and perhaps give her some memories that she'll want to relive after she gets over getting her driver's license in a couple of years and forgets all about bikes for a while.

And, we can have fun looking for accessories -- big bells, a basket or two, perhaps other things. She is going to be thrilled -- for grins we'd looked at new Electras, but for $300, I think not. But she liked the red ones the best, and these are red, and she insisted she'd want white wall tires, and these have white wall tires.

I'm going to have to sell my dining room table and turn my DR into a bike garage/shop. Things could be worse!

All told, I've invested $825 in bikes this past year, and have five to show for it. Are any of them top of the line fancy schmancy bikes? Nope -- not a one. Am I having a ball? You betcha!

I am, however, giving some thought to consolidation. I could sell off the singlespeed, the MTB, and even the "new" hybrid, and buy ONE nice bike. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huffy bikes eh- Raleigh shoppers next? as you seem to be regressing in quality but for the good reason of Enjoyment
    Agree with Big Paulie- Take the time for the dream bike- Sell the singlespeed and possibly the Mountain bike., but keep the best and favourite bike untill you get the new one.

My youngest daughter joined me in riding at 14 for 2 years and it was fantastic- still have her mountain bike in the shed- but she will never get back to it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a curve to active parenthood...........and, as the parent of a 19 and 21 year old I can say make every precious moment count-- and what better way then giggling up the street, stopping for a jamba juice, "being there" as dad. $300 seems like a feather considering.

In the meantime, it is so cool the way you acquire bikes...what is it-- 5 now? There may be a few bike genres you haven't acquired yet...you might check CraigsList for penny farthings and time trial bikes. Gary's BeachFront Bike Rental is a possbility.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you and your daughter are headed for...
    ...the BIG FUN.
    Congratulations!

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great deal Gary! I think almost anything that keeps children interacting with parents is a good thing. You should sell the dining room stuff, NOT THE BIKES!!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see, I bought my Trek 800 MTB in 1991 and just bought my 2nd bike this year. Thats:

Me - 15 years, 2 bikes
    Gary - 1 year, 5 bikes

Yikes, I'm 78 bikes behind....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weeeelll you could be drinking, smoking and carousing wildly not to mention gay abandon and debauchery

there ARE no bad rides
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike and an Iron Horse Triumph road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, I have a 14 year old daughter also. Well, she was 14, 14 years ago. Now grown up and living 130 miles away. Have all the fun you can with her and the bikes. The time you spend together will be gone before you know it.

My advice would be to not sell any bikes. I sold two last year (which left me with only three) and I regret it. I've offered to buy them back but the friend I sold them to won't budge. He did offer to let my borrow them any time though. Small consolation.

aj

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the bikes. I have this vision of all of them being used all at one time by biker chics following behind this really cool Gary dude in the San Diego area. Headlines of picture in the paper: Dee Gee becomes Pied Piper of cycling!!! Becomes most eligible batchelor in the San Diego area.......

By the way, it feels kinda good to be a bike-a-holic doesn't it? What a rush!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got it bad, dude. I think they have 12-step programs for people like you.

Actually, those are seriously cool bikes. I've got a 15-year-old daughter myself, and our plan for next weekend is to refurbish an old beater bike that we've got around the house for her. Then we're going to ride together, and I can't wait.

My advice on bikes: As soon as you are able, buy the bike of your dreams. Trade in the dining room furniture, trade in the car, and take out a new mortgage. Whatever. Get the nicest thing you can and ride the hell out of it. But whatever you do, don't let it interfere with riding with your kid. That's better than any bike ever built.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, The moment is now in your daughters life. Put all else aside
    until this moment is lived to the full leaving both of you with memories
    that are priceless.

The other bikes can wait, mate.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You donít have to sell the dinning room table. Just hang the bikes from the ceiling and
    use a trouble light, that would work as a chandelier.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many bikes?
    What's that mean?
    It's like too much fun,
    There's no such thing.