I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pump recommendations?

Luckily, I've not yet (KNOCK WOOD) had a flat on my MTB out there somewhere, because as I've just discovered today by fooling around and trying to be proactive, the portable pump the LBS sold me when I first bought the bike is a piece of junk. I'm sure at the time I told them I wanted whatever was cheap. Who knew?

I was going to move this pump over to my hybrid, but not any more! So I'm wondering what pump you might recommend that won't break the bank (but doesn't have to be the least expensive model known to man) but will (most importantly) hold up out in the field. And, are all of the good ones able to work with any kind of valve? I have prestas on the hybrid, and schraders on the MTB. The pump I now have does not appear (unless I truly am that clueless) to be able to work with prestas.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Luckily, I've not yet (KNOCK WOOD) had a flat on my MTB out there somewhere, because as I've just discovered today by fooling around and trying to be proactive, the portable pump the LBS sold me when I first bought the bike is a piece of junk. I'm sure at the time I told them I wanted whatever was cheap. Who knew?

I was going to move this pump over to my hybrid, but not any more! So I'm wondering what pump you might recommend that won't break the bank (but doesn't have to be the least expensive model known to man) but will (most importantly) hold up out in the field. And, are all of the good ones able to work with any kind of valve? I have prestas on the hybrid, and schraders on the MTB. The pump I now have does not appear (unless I truly am that clueless) to be able to work with prestas.
    The presta/schraeder change is in the head that goes on the valve on the older pumps. Just take it to bi---- Oops this is Gary--- The new type of pump(Thats better-and safer) will have a dual head that without taking anything apart-- will switch from presta to schraeder.

Only point is the quality of the pump. I try to always use Blackburn pumps as I have every confidence in them -and they have a lifetime guarranty that I have never taken advantage of. Only point is that you will have to pay for a good quality pump as the one you require is the one that puts the largest volume per stroke into the tyre. You also need one that will get to 100psi without building up the triceps.

The reason I keep buying pumps is not that they fail- I lose them on the trails- or run over them or forget to service them and throw them away in disgust and go and buy another. There are other good manufacturers out there, but, and I may be biased in this, blackburn have never let me down.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that in presta mode, neither my bike pump, CO2 pump, nor my air gauge worked very reliably. A presta adapter only costs $3. Put it in with your patch kit (assuming the same patch kit for road and MTB) and you'll be ready to use whatever pump you want and/or emergency stops at gas stations (with your road bike).
    Cars kill 45,000 Americans every year.
    This is like losing a war every year, except without the parades.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deege.......Most serious pumps will do the job-- some easier and longer lasting than others. My best experience has always been the Zefal HPX. Its been replaced by see the address below which I'm told is at least as good-- and it has a so-cool universal (shraeder/presta) pump head:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

25 smackers at Nashbar. My last Zefal lasted for 7 years and California roads are trashed to the max and I get a lot of flats because I ride sloppy. Frequently smacking Rottweilers on the snoot may significantly shorten pump life.

***I sometimes carry a CO2 cartridge with me...they're a "real gas" to use but, retro-phart that I am, always have my Zefal with me, too.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second GG's Zefal recommendation. I have either a Zefal HPX or a Blackburn full-size frame pump on each road bike and a Mt. Zefal on each mountain bike. I do carry a Presta-to-Schrader adaptor in case of pump failure. On bikes with clamp-on shift levers, I have often threaded one onto the end of the mounting screw. Here's another option:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use CO2 cartridges and have never, ever had any issues. I use an Innovations Microflate inflator. They carry several models but I use the Twist Control one. You screw the cartridge in to the inflator and then unscrew it to release the gas. They also have a new model that is spring loaded and you simply press the head down after the cartridge is screwed into the inflator. They're small, lightweight and easily fit into a saddle bag. Just carry a spare tube (or two) and you're set to go. You can get an inflator for less than $10.

Sorry, but I have had really lousy experiences with frame pumps......Heck, after I've pumped up a tire using a frame pump I'm too pooped to ride anymore!!

My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been quite satisfied with the Topeak Road Morph. And I do carry a presta/schrader adapter, never know who will need some help out on the road.

I also bought extra mounting brackets so I can move it to whichever bike I choose to ride.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For CO2 cartridges I have a trigger inflator which allows me to govern the flow of gas. I also have a screw on and push down inflator which is small, compact-- not much bigger than an presta/schraeder adaptor. Both work well enough, but I like controlling the flow....allows me to check for proper tube seating to avoid the balloon-and-then-shotgun-sound of a tube squirting out while pumping.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genuine Innovations

I bought the Genuine Innovations Second Wind MTB hybrid pump for apprx $25 at a LBS. It will work with both types of valves using CO2 inside of the handle that also doubles for a hand pump.

Here is mfr link: http://www.genuineinnovations.com/IN...ategory=hybrid

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am looking for a new pump. Well, the one I have is okay. But I want another to keep with one with both bikes. Anyway, I've been looking around and I found one pump for $10- I don't like the thought of spending that much money on something I seldom use. The one I have now that has worked well enough for about 5 years, only cost me about $6. Okay, call me cheap.
    But, now that we're talking about it, do these pumps just suddenly fail or are there warning signs? Does anyone have any idea the life expectantcy of these things?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doghouse
    I have been quite satisfied with the Topeak Road Morph. And I do carry a presta/schrader adapter, never know who will need some help out on the road.

I also bought extra mounting brackets so I can move it to whichever bike I choose to ride.
    Where did you get the extra bracket? I would like to get a couple but could not find them on the web anywhere. I also carry an adapter in my toolkit but the Road Morph head is made for either. Just unscrew the tip and reverse the washer and that little plastic deal inside the washer.

It's a great pump... works like a floor pump only smaller.

Dogbait

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX LeMond Alpe d'Huez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait
    It's a great pump... works like a floor pump only smaller. Dogbait
    I agree. The flexible hose makes the whole process so much easier. It will also go to 100+ psi.

Bill
    Trek 7.3 FX, then I got real,
    2006 LeMond Alpe d'Huez.
    But then that got stolen, so I upgraded to a
    2006 LeMond Chambery... WOW

My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dogbait---"Where did you get the extra bracket?"

LBS ordered it for me, I think it was $7 or so.

He also got me an extra mounting bracket for my wedge, from Trek. I am an insulin dependent diabetic, so it is a lot easier to just move the wedge back and forth between the bikes and not have to worry about forgetting something important in the transfer.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll give it a try next time I get to Portland.

Dogbait

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want a Zefal? Pay the shipping & you can have it, Gary.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    You want a Zefal? Pay the shipping & you can have it, Gary.
    Sure! People seem to like it, so why not? I'll PM you...(it's a bit challenging to get mail past the guards, but I think I can get a favor from Bubba.)
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay