Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing Special, But....

I rode 12 miles today. And I went slowly. And I stopped twice to stretch.

But a few months ago, I was on crutches. The only way I could sleep was on my back, on the floor with my feet elevated. I was driving around the grocery store in one of those electric carts and parking in a handicapped spot. My problem was a bulging disc pressing against a nerve. Yowww! The pain was bad, but the worst part was wondering if I'd ever be back on my bike.

Anyway, with lots of core exercises, yoga, physical therapy and good luck, I'm back in the saddle again. It's gonna be awhile before I ride a century or even ride my age or half my age, but I'm determined to continue to slowly build my way back to fitness.

The 50+ forum has provided me with a lot of inspiration (mixed with a hint of jelousy for all you guys hammering out the miles). Reading the posts keeps me in the game and raring to fight the good fight.

Ride on!
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not the distance, its the heart. You already have the heart; the distance will come. Congratulations...nobody, but nobody, gets dropped around here. Can't think of any local riders around me who haven't had to take significant time off for medical or other reasons....but everybody comes back, never as soon as they'd like, but soon enough.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you, man! Riding to recover, and recovering to ride... like your style. Keep it up!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cudos! You've met the challenge and it is just one milestone in what is sure to me an exciting journey.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    outstanding,
    increase say 10 % a week if possible, and easy spinning.
    years back I broke my back fractured 12th vertebrae in an accident, and with stretching easy spinning and some miles of running with some light weight lifting I recouped a lot faster than the Dr. expected.
    took quite a while but perseverance and resolve are strong motivators.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, Blackberry. Which direction you are going is far more important than where you are.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoying each mile is what its all about.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
    outstanding,
    increase say 10 % a week if possible, and easy spinning.
    years back I broke my back fractured 12th vertebrae in an accident, and with stretching easy spinning and some miles of running with some light weight lifting I recouped a lot faster than the Dr. expected.
    took quite a while but perseverance and resolve are strong motivators.
    Hammerman--you nailed it. This is my program almost to the letter.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This calls for a toast.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forgot one of the most important issues, I use to use have a waterbed mind ya now this was in the eighties, got rid of it and got the stiffest hardest matteras i could find, and also put a piece of plywood underneath the matteras, only on my side as the wife complained it was was like the floor.
    for me this also helped immensly.
    best of luck, many miles to travel yet

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add my support and congratulations to what's already been said. You're doing great, and we're all going to pull for you!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Just to add my support and congratulations to what's already been said. You're doing great, and we're all going to pull for you!
    If we could turn the pedals we'd do it, but difficult unless you've got remote control.

I had 3 months waiting for the bypass where I could not even walk a mile- let alone ride one- then 2 months after the bypass I was riding 40 miles. Had to take it steady though and the first ride was only up the road. Next week it was 5 miles but took 6 weeks before I put any energy into riding. 12 miles at a first attempt from such a lay off sounds fantastic. Keep it up.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a nice bunch of people hang out here..... no wonder I have FiftyPlus first on my toolbar.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Blackberry!!
    You may be envious of those of us who are currently putting on miles. I wonder what I would be doing in your position. Could I put up with pain to get back in shape for biking? I don't know, but my hats off to you. Keep it up!

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - keep up the good work!

- i hope you get back in shape as fast as possible... i'm recovering from a crash almost three weeks ago... the scabs on elbow and knee have healed, but the right shoulder is not back to 100 percent yet, with still some pain at night...

- it's nice that you're back in the saddle and headed for warmer weather, too...

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you're presently doing and the progress you've made makes my 60 & 100 miles rides peanuts. You have one of the most beautiful areas around to ride in. Enjoy the time on the bike and be patient!!