My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Hydration question.

This following statement is copied from a Bike Tour Kit:
    "Trying to replace more than two-thirds of fluid losses can lead to bloating and GI distress."

I recently did a major six hour workout. I consumed 12 bottles of water. I later experienced vomiting and other flu like problems for one day.

I wonder if I had one of these one day stomach flu or GI distress. Does someone have this experience, please.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will-I can't help you with that one. However, I'm sure you know to balance the fluids with some electrolytes......just consuming that much water without sodium can be harmful and upset your body's chemistry (assuming you've lost lots of fluids). We had a rider suffer from such on the Assault on Mt Mitchell 2 years ago when they just drank a lot of water and no sports drinks. She survived but it was touch and go for a bit.

Here is a quote from an article I just found via google:

There have been reports of hyponatremia (low blood sodium concentration) leading to seizures in marathon runners who over replaced sweat losses (which contain both salt and water) with electrolyte free water alone. This is rarely a problem for cycling events of less than several hours duration (except under extreme environmental conditions of heat or humidity) and becomes an issue only for events lasting more than 5 hours.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Will-I can't help you with that one. However, I'm sure you know to balance the fluids with some electrolytes......just consuming that much water without sodium can be harmful and upset your body's chemistry (assuming you've lost lots of fluids). We had a rider suffer from such on the Assault on Mt Mitchell 2 years ago when they just drank a lot of water and no sports drinks. She survived but it was touch and go for a bit.

Here is a quote from an article I just found via google:

There have been reports of hyponatremia (low blood sodium concentration) leading to seizures in marathon runners who over replaced sweat losses (which contain both salt and water) with electrolyte free water alone. This is rarely a problem for cycling events of less than several hours duration (except under extreme environmental conditions of heat or humidity) and becomes an issue only for events lasting more than 5 hours.

You are helping with your response. By coincidence, my wife was sick two days ago with a stomach flu. Conclusion was that this is the reason why I got it.

However, I did this for me extreme exercise of 100 miles on a CycleOps Fl 2 trainer in six hours. I made it through that ordeal all right but starting vomiting about 5 hours later. I could go to an MD but I am afraid that he will lack any understanding why anyone would do such a thing