Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Training for the Big ONE.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 10:36 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello (50+)

We are quickly coming up to the April 23 date of the Bike across America tour.
About 3000 miles in 27 days.
I trained in Florida for ten days and did 1000 miles.
I trained in Minnesota for five days and did 500 miles.

Since then, I am stuck on a CycleOps FL2 trainer to keep in shape. Lousy weather in this area. Lots of people sick with flu and colds. (Including me and my Family)
I learned something the hard way about trainers and want to share that here.
One hour training at 17 MPH is no big problem as measured with a HRM. (HR 120 - 125)
Two hours created a problem with overheating my system. I did not recognize this immediately but kept worrying about it. My HR went above 140.
(I do not have this problem biking on roads or trails.)

After some soul searching I did the following:
Cooled the room to outside temperatures. (below F 50)
Used a big fan at full speed.
Gobbled a liter of cold water every 30 minutes.
Ate one half of an energy bar every 30 minutes.

This did it. I was able to do 100 miles in six hours on Saturday. My first time.
I had enough energy left to do some sprinting (standing up) in the end. (20MPG)
I thought this may interest some of you?
Old 04-10-06, 11:15 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Keep us posted, and best wishes for a successful trip!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-10-06, 11:39 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Hello (50+)

I trained in Florida for ten days and did 1000 miles.
I trained in Minnesota for five days and did 500 miles.

I was able to do 100 miles in six hours on Saturday. My first time.
I had enough energy left to do some sprinting (standing up) in the end. (20MPG)
I thought this may interest some of you?
You, Sir, are amazing. I sit here in awe. If cycling were basketball, I feel like I'm getting pretty good at playing "horse" while you are getting ready to hang out with the NBA. If cycling were flying, I feel like I'm handling my Piper Cub pretty good, while you are streaking by in a F16. If cycling were English literature, I feel like I've got my Cliff's Notes pretty well underlined, while you, Sir, can recite whole acts of Shakespeare!

I mean it -- I am in awe of you! Yes, keep us posted; I'm fascinated and amazed by tales of cycling at this level. And good luck!!!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-10-06, 11:45 AM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Averaging 100 miles a day is very impressive. But doing 6 hours on a trainer! That's truly phenomenal !!
Old 04-10-06, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To all of the respondents:
Thank you. Your kind comments are my reward for a really grueling workout on this trainer. I am not planning to do it again but just want to prove (to me) that it can be done at our age.
Old 04-10-06, 03:48 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Gary,

Have you ever thought about cashing in on your talent for analogies by going into some kind of motivational speaking...maybe in business management, or something like that?

These guys seem pretty cool!
I was once employed, back in college, as a dead petunia plucker. Our campus had petunias everywhere, and it turns out one must pluck the dead blooms to make room for new ones. Hence my very temporary vocation -- I lasted three days. I sometimes wonder if I gave up too soon?

I've also been a department store Santa Claus, a bartender, a dictation equipment salesperson, and an empty 55-gallon paint barrel stacker, among other things. It might not surprise anyone to learn that I worked in several mental health facilities, which perhaps explains a LOT.

But motivational speaker? Ha!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-10-06, 06:15 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will.......nice to have you back. I can see why you weren't posting...too busy pedaling. Like the others, I am in awe of anyone spending 6 hours (mein gott) on a trainer. Without a pedestal fan out in my garage blowing in my face I would be stifled after 30 mins. Thanks for the hard won advice-- and for role modeling some true grit. If you can keep an occasional online journal during your training (if you have time) and post a journal of the Big Ride, all us vicarious adventurers would love it.

***Any chance of you posting a picture/bio on the Roge Gallery sticky??
Old 04-10-06, 06:28 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I was thinking about you just the other day and was wondering when the big trip started. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I'm envious of the trip and really excited for you.

Did you have a chance to try the Giordana shorts by chance?
Old 04-10-06, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Will.......nice to have you back. I can see why you weren't posting...too busy pedaling. Like the others, I am in awe of anyone spending 6 hours (mein gott) on a trainer. Without a pedestal fan out in my garage blowing in my face I would be stifled after 30 mins. Thanks for the hard won advice-- and for role modeling some true grit. If you can keep an occasional online journal during your training (if you have time) and post a journal of the Big Ride, all us vicarious adventurers would love it.

***Any chance of you posting a picture/bio on the Roge Gallery sticky??

Granny,
Sorry, I do not know what "Roge Gallery sticky" means.
However, the tour leader will run this travel log on the Web page below. There will be pictures of the riders, events and other info.
Google will also yield information under "America by Bicycle 2006 fast south"

https://www.bamacyclist.com/Journal20...6fastsouth.htm
Old 04-10-06, 09:27 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will, go here for the BF50+ Rogue Gallery: https://69.16.211.161/showthread.php?t=185410

I've saved the "bamacyclist" address. I'll follow your adventures for sure. Keep us posted when time's available.
Old 04-11-06, 07:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I was thinking about you just the other day and was wondering when the big trip started. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I'm envious of the trip and really excited for you.

Did you have a chance to try the Giordana shorts by chance?
I will be field testing:
Giordana 2006 Body Clone Max 02 shot = $169
Pearl Izumi Microsensor 3 D Pro --------= $120
Hind----------------------------------= <$100
We will see the difference on the tour the hard way. I cannot tell the difference on my trainer.
I will report back. See link below if interested. It will be updated as the tour goes on.
https://www.bamacyclist.com/Journal20...6fastsouth.htm
Old 04-11-06, 10:23 AM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
Averaging 100 miles a day is very impressive. But doing 6 hours on a trainer! That's truly phenomenal !!
My thoughts exactly. I have a problem staying on the trainer for an hour!

I saw on the local news where a young man from the Quad Cities, recently returnrd home from Iraq, is going on the ride. Take it easy on him. Have a great ride.
Old 04-11-06, 11:22 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
That trainer would kill me mentally. All that effort with the only goal in sight is something that is not going to seen for a few weeks.

DG has got it sussed. Riding is 90% mental. 6 hours on a trainer has given you that so I don't think you will have a problem. This ride will hurt you at some point- you realise that of course- and without that mental power to see you through it will be difficult.

I sensed from your first posting on this ride that you were going to be ready for it. Only thing is- don't show the youngsters up too much- or if you do- get them to contact the 50+ to see how it should be done.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-11-06, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edp773
My thoughts exactly. I have a problem staying on the trainer for an hour!

I saw on the local news where a young man from the Quad Cities, recently returnrd home from Iraq, is going on the ride. Take it easy on him. Have a great ride.
You know this? Everything is relative. I posted on 50+ because I get sympathetic responses. If posted on some of the other forums, NBD would be the response.

I am in Detroit today. I spend time in the Stony Creek Metro park. You should see the Wolverines race around that six mile park road, it will give any of us an inferiority complex. I feel my age just watching them.
I can keep up with some of them of course but not most. I just hope that they do RAAM (Race Across AMerica at 250 miles/day) and not FAS (Fast America South at 120 miles/day).
Old 04-11-06, 09:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
That trainer would kill me mentally. All that effort with the only goal in sight is something that is not going to seen for a few weeks.

DG has got it sussed. Riding is 90% mental. 6 hours on a trainer has given you that so I don't think you will have a problem. This ride will hurt you at some point- you realise that of course- and without that mental power to see you through it will be difficult.

I sensed from your first posting on this ride that you were going to be ready for it. Only thing is- don't show the youngsters up too much- or if you do- get them to contact the 50+ to see how it should be done.
Stapfam:
Your kind comments are always welcome by me. Let me rant a little. I used to row, ran out of suitable water and time. I used to run, my joints started to ache. Got fat.
Up to 240 lb. size 40 waist. Found biking. Liked it but did not loose weight.
This forum pointed ways to get better at biking. A little tip here and there.
The Internet made me find a mission, go across America. My job forced me to try to do it fast.
So, that is how we got here.
Thanks to you guys in part, I am now 195 lb. and size 34 waist.