Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I guess you CAN buy Speed!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 09:43 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

We had our first of 9 Time Trials for 2006 at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC tonight. This is a 10 mile time trial (7 laps) on the NASCAR track. Hey-we were the first "race" on the newly paved asphalt surface!! We were blessed with a perfect night weather wise with temps in the low 70's/high 60's with a light breeze. The wind can be the deciding factor in these things.

The growth of this event is absolutely astounding. The most riders we've ever had for any one event is 225. Being the first event of the year historically the attendance is generally not as high. Hold on to your hats. We had 480 people participate tonight!! Just incredible.

I'm one of the "key" officials that has helped to organize and run the event-all of us are volunteers and come to think of it we're all 50+ ers. This year we have gone from a manual timing system to using an "active chip" with electronic timing. We had a few hiccups getting everyone registered, the right chip number, etc but overall the event was an incredible successs.

I still ride in the events but I was so involved with running this one I had very little time to warm up. I was able to get in 10 mins on my trainer before it was time to head to the start line. I managed to get on the track towards the end and do the event.

As background, I had set a goal (see thread on goals for 2006) to best my personal record of 24 mins 24 secs some time during the year. I also had a target of trying to break the 24 minute barrier-but was almost afraid to set that as a goal as last year I only improved my time by 1-2 seconds and didn't know if 24 more seconds was very realistic. Normally I set my PR's after riding throughout the summer so usually they happen in September or October.

You may recall that I bought a Cervelo P2k Time Trial bike in January and was fitted to it. I had only taken it out twice just to see if I could get comforable with the feel and ride of the different bike, setup and positioning. I had done a total of maybe 30 miles on it but it felt good and I was comfortable with the bar end shifters and being in the aerobars. The question I was asking myself was could I stay down in the bars for 25 mins this early in the year.

Do you remember me whining a few weeks ago about how my training was slipping? Many of you were very encouraging towards it just being part of the training cycle and it has it ups and downs. I think you folks were right as usual.

I can't tell you how excited I am about my results. I not only set a new PR, I also eclipsed the 24 minute mark. My official time was 23 mins 25.48 seconds. I shaved 59 seconds off my previous best at the first event of the year. Hurray!!! My average speed was 25.6 mph and my top speed was 30.2 mph. My heartrate peaked at 182 bpm and averaged 178 bpm for the 23-24 mins.

In case your are interested the track record is 19 mins 22 secs which is a 30+ mph average speed. I look for it to fall-probably in August as we have some Professionals coming in to ride.

So I guess you CAN "buy a time"???? Gosh, since I met all my goals on the first event-I'm not sure how to reset my targets for the rest of the events.

Sorry to be so long winded........I just haven't been this excited since........well I guess buying Miss Lightweight a week or so ago!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cervelo TT Bike for BF.jpg (44.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-12-06, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is so cool! Not just the smokin' hot time (though that's the coolest part), but also the fact that you played such a big role in making the event happen. Makes me wish there were something similar in this neck of the woods. Anyway, congratulations on your time! 25.6 mph is very, very fast.

When you've got time, I'd be interested in hearing more impressions from you about your P2k. I've started thinking lately that there may be a time trial bike in my future, and I'm just starting to look at the various possibilities. I've had a pretty bad case of Cervelo lust for awhile anyway, and some variant on the P2/P3 line could be of interest at some point. I'd love to hear how much you researched your TT bike purchase, how you arrived at the P2, and how you like it.
Old 04-12-06, 10:18 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats jppe, that's great! Sounds like a lot of fun too. I can just imagine hammering along on fresh asphalt. Sounds like a perfect night!

Steve
Old 04-12-06, 10:48 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe.......you get one heck of a lot of respect for your dedication, grit, and achievement. I just hope you had your BF50+ jersey on. Got pics of the event...especially you in full elbows in tuck?
Old 04-13-06, 04:40 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way to go! As I recall, this year's winner of the Paris/Roubaix was riding a Cervelo. But as we all know, it's "not about the bike."
Old 04-13-06, 05:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats, Great Results! That bike looks like it can go fast sitting in the garage!
Old 04-13-06, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
jppe: You are truly a speed demon! Envy dripped from my pores as I read your post. Keep them new wheels spinning.
Old 04-13-06, 08:35 AM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
outstanding!
Old 04-13-06, 09:31 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Faster than prayers to heaven! Happy Easter JPPE!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-13-06, 09:33 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if you soon broke the sound barrier!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-13-06, 09:46 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way to go, and thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping to buy speed next year.
Old 04-13-06, 02:28 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe - Great Performance!!!
I knew that bike looked fast and ready to go.
Old 04-13-06, 02:56 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't care if $$$$ buy performance- You still have to utilise the body and have the skill to take advantage of it- Well done on the time- but would like to see better now you have almost doubled your ride time on it.

I hate to see money sqandered- but the number of poseurs I see on the trails is getting rarer- $5,000 bikes being pushed up hills is a laughing matter in my book

Spike Milligan
Old 04-13-06, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations, jppe. Outstanding. You'll have to come out here during speed week and run that thing out at the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Old 04-14-06, 04:17 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Well done, jppe. I know how you feel. I'm sure that the improvement is part rider, part bike, and part improved road surface with most of the credit going to the first one. I have been toying with the idea of getting a TT bike because I'd like to race, but I don't think that I'd like to mix it up with the Cat 5 teenagers in a crit. Those youngsters just heal a whole lot faster from the crashes than I would and I'm not strong enough to ride off the front for the entire distance.

Your accomplishment inspired me to try and beat my own best time for 50 km (~31 miles) today. The results were mixed. My best time ever over that distance is 1 hr 25 minutes 17 seconds or an average speed of 21.8 mph. Today At the 1 hour mark I had covered 22.3 miles. I reached the 25 mile mark in 1 hour 7 minutes exactly for an average speed of just a hair under 22.4 mph. All I had to do was average just over 20 mph over the last 6 miles (with a slight breeze at my back and about 100' downhill) and I would break 1 hr 25 minutes and shatter my old record. I felt like it was in the bag. Unfortunately my cell phone started ringing and I got the news that a dear friend that has been in poor health had died. I just didn't have the energy to "push it" to the end. It just didn't seem so important today. Maybe I'll try again next week.
Old 04-14-06, 06:27 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Just saw where the results are posted from Wednesday night. Some interesting things:

Last year I usually finished 4th-6th in my age group. Well, I had my fastest time ever and reduced my PR by 60 secs and wound up in 11th out of 21 folks. It just reinforces that we have an incredible group of riders in the 50-54 age group which should make the 50+'ers here chuckle.

In fact, I would have won the men's 30-34 age group, and finished in the top 5 or 6 in all other age groups up to age 50. I was 84th out of the 320 that recorded a time plus greatly reduced my PR. I'm just amazed at the strength of the field in my category.

We had photographers taking pics so when I can get my hands on one of those I'll try and post a photo of me on the TT bike on the track. I need a photo of me on my new bike anyway.
Old 04-14-06, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Congratulations, that is very fast.
I'm curious how the organizers keep the riders above the line at the bottom of the track. Is it an honor system, cones?

Al
Old 04-14-06, 08:19 PM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Al1943
Congratulations, that is very fast.
I'm curious how the organizers keep the riders above the line at the bottom of the track. Is it an honor system, cones?

Al
Good question on riding the line. We actually pretty much ride the line or just right of it (we ride counterclockwise just like the race cars) for the whole loop. I can't think of any spots where there's enough room left of the line to gain any real advantage either. The line is very close to the edge of the pavement and from memory if you were to drift left of it much at all you'd probably either be in the grass or the wall.

We're getting so many people on the track now it's very challenging to even ride the line for any length. Two of our rules are that all passing is on the right and of course no drafting. I found myself constantly either moving right or further right to either pass or avoid riding someone's wheel...although it was really tempting to ride behind someone for a while-just seemed like the natural thing to do when your operating in your red zone!!

We're trying to put the faster riders near the end for safety reasons (closing speed issues) but there are so many newer folks coming out you just can't avoid some clustering.