User Tag List

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Ring Wednesday

I have never posted a description of a ride before. Most of my rides are pretty ordinary, especially with the weather as it has been. But I really enjoy reading about others' rides, as they always include some little thing that hits home. So, here's my ride today:

We have had rain or snow every week for the last two months. Most of my rides have been in the 20-30 miles zone and at 40 - 45 degrees. Today, the rain stopped about noon and the temp got up to a balmy 54. I decided this would be BIG RING WEDNESDAY and set off on a favorite ride, usually done in a moderate gear, sometimes even slipping down into semi-granny, if I was feeling weak. I live in rural, Mountainous California. One stoplight and only a few stop signs. I saw maybe 30 cars on the entire ride.

This ride starts with big rollers with more up than down. I got up each with little trouble. I was feelin' good. Turned up Snake Lake Road, 2 1/2 miles at about 5%. I had been stopped at about 1.8 miles last week by snow on the road. But made it all the way today, and in the big ring (52/23). Still feelin' good.

I turned around where the dirt and snow started, then on out through Meadow Valley. As I pulled up to one of the few stop signs, a little girl in the back of a school bus gave me a shy smile and wave. I waved back. Still in my big ring, I turned around at 16 miles, right at the "15% grade next three miles" sign (I'm not feeling THAT good). It started to rain, lightly. I was in shorts, but had my rain jacket on. I was able to turn on my blinkie lights without getting off the bike.

The next 10 miles are mostly down hill-ish. The rain got heavy at 27 miles. I'm loving it and waved at my LBS as I rode by. I had the chance to cut the ride short (35 miles) but passed it up and finished the full loop. I was having fun and already had the stripe up my bike, so why not? I ended up at 42 miles. I felt good, but the shower felt good (aren't they supposed to?), too.

At the end I realize that not only had I done the entire ride on the big ring, but I had never stopped pedaling (even downhill) and never got off the bike. My biggest fear was that I would see a rainbow and didn't have my camera.

Thanks for reading. Hope your rides have been fun, too.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story, Mojo! Sounds like you had a blast. Happy trails and give us more ride reports, hear?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice story; thanks for that.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do miss CA, thanks for the story. Down here all we see is flat and more flat. After 10 years in SF it is going to take awhile to adjust.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Mojo Slim] My biggest fear was that I would see a rainbow and didn't have my camera.[QUOTE]

Man, that is just so cool. I hope all your rides give you no more fear than this!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    always makes a ride oustanding when everything comes togeather
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"