User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put my back out this week.

Finally the long weekend is here and somehow I managed to put my back out yesterday so it's pretty stiff. Even though it's raining, I'm really temped to go out for a least a little ride, maybe on my hybrid.

This hasn't happened to me for a couple of years, so I can't remember if I need to baby it for a while, or just ignore it and it'll disappear. This is really disappointing, I was planning to do 50 - 100 km each day of the holiday. Now I'm going to have to finish those renovations I started about 10 year’s ago.

Advise anyone?
    2006 Lemond Sarthe
    2000 Trek 7500FX

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice would be to take some anti-inflams and rest a bit. Keep it in mind, however, that I rarely follow my own advice.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get lower back problems from time to time. At one time ten, twelve years ago they were so bad I almost had surgery. Fortunately I found a guy to work with who really knew his stuff. Never got the surgery, but sometimes still have the back pain.

Anyhoo...

If it's your lower back, then try this: lay on the floor, with your legs up and over a chair or the sofa or whatever. Picture an astronaut in the capsule about to blast off. That's the position. You can also put a rolled towel under the small of your back, and another under your neck. Once you've assumed the position, then just...let...go. Relax. Really relax. let the floor do the work of supporting you, and soon, your back will stop working so hard, and you'll feel relief. Give this twenty minutes or so, and do it twice a day.

Works for me! HTH
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Stretching and ibeprofan work for me...and I wouldn't push my luck by riding with a stiff/sore back.

Good luck!
    That ibuprufen works- but watch out if you have a heart problem- Don't know why- but it is warned on the packet. I am going through a spell of back problems at present and I try to keep a varied activity going at work. Not too much sitting down because it siezes up- not too much walking about because it then aches, and a fair amount of stretching to keep it working. I have a compressed disc that seems to flare up occasionally but Riding the bike eases it- never have any hint of a problem. Now if I can trackstand in the office and get the keyboard on the bars- Bye Bye Back pain.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tips above. IcyHot, a topical goop, can also help make it feel better. Whirlpools seem to help me, but some people prefer ice.

If you sit at a desk, I recommend finding some backward bending stretches and doing them frequently throughout the day. As an addendum to DeeGee's suggestion, get one of those big exercise balls and lie on it facing up with your feet on the floor. Roll around on it in whatever way is comfortable, giving your back a nice gentle stretch.

Finally, after decades of riding, I've come to realize all that stuff about warming up is true. Start out easy even if your buds go out hammer and tongs.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put an icepack on my lower back about every hour for 10 minutes at a time, took some anti-inflammatory every 6 hours, then after a couple of days, I switched to heat packs. When I pull out my back, it stays out for a long time, I'm still recovering. I'm able to ride, but don't push it or you will have a major setback and then you will really be mad at yourself. You really have to know your body and know what each pain means. Rest is always a GOOD thing, don't worry you won't get out of shape by just resting for a few days. Maybe do some light walking or just take a nap during the day.
    Hope you feel better soon!

Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an SI injury that almost cripples me once a year or so.
    I can barely walk sometimes but I'm at ease on my bike and never want to get off.
    If you do ride don't push at all. My chiro does this electro stimuli thing and then cold rub to reduce the swelling in the SI joint, awesome.

I feel your pain and hope it feels better soon.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Stretching and ibeprofan work for me...and I wouldn't push my luck by riding with a stiff/sore back.

Good luck!
    Agree with Big Paulie, but for lesser back pain/stiffness, I find that easy riding on the trainer tends to heat, loosen, relax the back. Sometimes a real ride is good, too-- if do-able. Helps if your bars are up near your saddle.

Also, sleep with your knees pulled up as in "fetal".

Betcha every gray-haired dude here has his own rituals, remedies, etc. for dealing with stiff backs. Stiff necks I'm not sure. (Stiff other members probably a diminishing problem! )
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 04-15-06 at 11:48 AM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    That ibuprufen works- but watch out if you have a heart problem- Don't know why- but it is warned on the packet. I am going through a spell of back problems at present and I try to keep a varied activity going at work. Not too much sitting down because it siezes up- not too much walking about because it then aches, and a fair amount of stretching to keep it working. I have a compressed disc that seems to flare up occasionally but Riding the bike eases it- never have any hint of a problem. Now if I can trackstand in the office and get the keyboard on the bars- Bye Bye Back pain.
    I had some minor aching in my right buttock while driving for more than 30 min so had it looked at by an orthopaedic surgeon, including x-rays and MRI. Diagnoses: stenosis, arthritic spine (common in over 50s), some spurs, bulging discs etc. I feel a lot better now that I know all this Apparently, back problems like mine do not affect one's cycling ability because of the riding position. It's standing up straight that will be the problem eventually! Ain't old age great!

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix Apex, Cannondale T2000, Cannondale Rize, Stumpjumper M5 Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had back problems on and off for years - first lower back, then later on mid-back, from biking, lifting and too much sitting at the computer. Used to go to chiropractors - helped for a day or two then the pain was back. Finally tried yoga about 5 years ago, in my case I did the Bikram hot yoga, but all types work. After a couple of months at it - no more back pain. Ever. I still go a few times a month for maintenance and to keep flexible. Yoga is very healthy for the spine and overall flexibility which ends up being just as important as muscle mass and cardio when we get older.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    If it's your lower back, then try this: lay on the floor, with your legs up and over a chair or the sofa or whatever. Picture an astronaut in the capsule about to blast off. That's the position. You can also put a rolled towel under the small of your back, and another under your neck. Once you've assumed the position, then just...let...go. Relax. Really relax.
    Gary, I just get all mushy when I picture this

Steve

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bccycleguy
    Advise anyone?
    As a few others have suggested, stretching. Lots of easy stretching, not the toe touching, ankle grabbing (careful, Gary) kind of stretches. Go for a walk. Take a hot bath. Use some Icy Hot. If you feel like it, go for an easy ride, and soft pedal, but don't hammer. Oh yeah... ibuprofen helps alot.

When my back is acting up (and it's been acting up in varying degrees for 30+ years), cycling has really, really helped since I rediscovered it a couple of years ago.

Take care, and good luck!

Steve