Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally-Pics of Miss Lightweight

I've finally had time to "assemble" the bike that I will be using for the centuries in the mountains. Some will be probably be disappointed to hear it is just a 2004 Trek 5900. The previous owner was a "weight weenie" and also very meticulous with his bike....heck it seems new to me!!

However, it's going to reduce my bike weight at least 3 lbs over the Madone. With bottles cages, pedals and essentially everything except the saddle bag it is right at 16 lbs.

What's different?

Size-The Madone is a big bike-it's a 62 cm but has been an extremely comfortable ride for me. The 5900 is a 58 cm frame but has a longer stem. I've actually brought the reach in a little to make it even more comfortable for climbing. You might notice in the pics the shifters are probably a touch "higher" than normal. I'm going to try that but can easily slide them down the drops a little more to add to the reach. They are just low enough to where I can shift them in the drops. Both bikes have 44 cm handlebars (spread out for comfort!) but the 5900's is a Race X Lite.

Components-The Madone is Ultegra which works superbly. The 5900 is full Dura Ace which feels flawless-softer but crisper feeling. The difference in the brakes is very noticeable as well. (note: I put some Kool Stop brake pads on the Madone this morning but I have not ridden it yet-curious to see if that helps). I also put some Profile Design X lite carbon bottle cages on it.

Pedals-Both the Madone and the 5900 have Look CX6 carbon pedals. However I was able to get a great deal on a set with titanium axles (instead of chromoly) and put those on the 5900. Hooray for eBay!! I was hoping to get the black ones but who is going to look at my feet anyway.

Crankset-The Madone is an Ultegra 52/42/30 triple with a 9 speed setup. What is in the picture is a 53/39 10 speed Dura Ace but it will be replaced with the Shimano 50/34 when the Compact Crank arrives. I have put a 12/27 Dura Ace cassette on the 5900 (man, those are $$$$-even on eBay). I'll probably move the 53/39 over to the Madone if I like the Compact Crank.

Wheels-Exactly the same on both bikes-Bontrager X Lites. I'm thinking of swapping the new X Lites for some Zipps for everyday use.

The Saddle is pretty firm (sure looks good though!!) but I think it will work pretty well. I'll find out tomorrow as I'm going to give it a 100 mile workout. If not I know what I'm used to.

I have measured the leg reach to the pedals and also the fore/aft of the saddle to the pedals and have it dialed in exactly as the Madone-so hopefully there are no transition issues with the knees on position changes.

The Compact Crank needs to get here soon!! I have a climbing century (Cheaha) in Alabama on May 7th followed by the Assault on Mt Mitchell May 20th. I really need to get in some clmbing miles with the Compact Crank and different setup just to get accustomed to it for these rides.

If it makes as big an impact of using the Time Trial bike did for time trials watch out!!

By the way, with packing in the miles over the winter, riding 2000 miles ytd and managing the calories I've managed to lose another 3-4 pounds of body weight over last year. All together I could be looking at 6-7 lbs less weight going up those darn hills. That has got to help a little!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe...........she looks fast just standing still. I can see why you were so pleased finding her. I think I've found the Ideal "Woman" for cycling...Miss Lightweight. Ride report soon??
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that you could get the same measuerments for your setup on a 62 and a 58. That's cool. The bike looks great. I used to think that N Carolina was flat until I saw the T d Georgia stage up Brasstown Bald. Man was I wrong. Have a great time on the century!

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a fan of reduced-spoke-count wheels, but I like everything else.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, am I envious. Not only of the bike, but 2000 miles ytd. I am barely over 200, but then we have a bit more snow than North Carolina.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
    Interesting that you could get the same measuerments for your setup on a 62 and a 58. That's cool. The bike looks great. I used to think that N Carolina was flat until I saw the T d Georgia stage up Brasstown Bald. Man was I wrong. Have a great time on the century!
    RockyMtnMerlin,

Brasstown Bald is in Georgia, in fact it is the highest point in the State, something over 4000 ft. And like most States (at least on the East Coast), they like to pave a road to the top of their highest point.

JPPE,

Yet again another sweet ride! Your wheels make my two Schwinns (1966 & 1979) look so ancient! You are an inspiration to us all. Now, if this summer I can ride 50 miles like you ride 100+ miles, I will feel as if I've accomplished something after a year back on the bike in a serious way. (1900 miles since June 1, 2005.)

Bob
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe - Beautiful Bike!!
    I like the look of the existing chainring. I know your switching it out, but it really looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's about time!!! What a beautiful bike, man. Aesthetically nice too, with the blue accents... not to mention that it looks fast as hell! I'll be interested to see what you think of that saddle after you've put in some miles on it. And I'm not surprised to hear you like the Dura-Ace... it really is nice. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the pics. Now go out and ride it!!!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    I am not a fan of reduced-spoke-count wheels, but I like everything else.
    My brother shares your thoughts as well. he just bought a set of Topolinos to get the lighter weight but higher spoke count. I've put about 12,000 miles on a set of Bontrager Race Lites and they've been extremely serviceable. I did have a nipple break last year but the wheels are still rideable-in fact I had to ride it 40 miles to get it back. The Race X Lites came with the bike but I've used another set for about 1000 miles and so far so good.

Raket-thanks for the thoughts. I put in 6 hrs on the saddle today and it's not as bad as I thought it might be. It is firm for sure but with the proper positioning and the weight on the sit bones it was okay. I like the firm feel, but I might just move it to my Madone which I'll do shorter rides on. I'm thinking of getting a SLR Gel (or it could be the SLK)......it's still under 200 grams. I saw one in Blue but it was pretty pricey!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I put in 6 hrs on the saddle today and it's not as bad as I thought it might be. It is firm for sure but with the proper positioning and the weight on the sit bones it was okay. I like the firm feel, but I might just move it to my Madone which I'll do shorter rides on. I'm thinking of getting a SLR Gel (or it could be the SLK)......it's still under 200 grams. I saw one in Blue but it was pretty pricey!!
    Well, at least you've got your priorities straight. With a bike that pretty, you can't take that blue saddle off and then replace it with something that doesn't match! Seriously, I think you've set a new standard here for good-looking 50+ bikes. I've been thinking for awhile now that I ought to replace the tires and the saddle on my Madone, and now I'm thinking maybe they have to be red instead of black... you've inspired me! Well done.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raket-thanks for the thoughts. I put in 6 hrs on the saddle today and it's not as bad as I thought it might be. It is firm for sure but with the proper positioning and the weight on the sit bones it was okay. I like the firm feel, but I might just move it to my Madone which I'll do shorter rides on. I'm thinking of getting a SLR Gel (or it could be the SLK)......it's still under 200 grams. I saw one in Blue but it was pretty pricey!!
    With 6 hours on the saddle and if its not as bad as you thought- The saddle must fit ok. Comfort will improve as the Butt adjust's and the saddle wears in so why change it- well not for a couple of rides anyway. Only way to confirm it- Get some more riding in. Only problem is that you may get the bike dusty and it will require a bit more caressing the frame and looking at it to ensure that it is still OK. Hold on though- A coat of wax or polish on the frame will put the weight up by a couple of grams. Perhaps you had better just get the lambs wool pad out and dust each fleck of dirt off.

Jealousy creeping in on the qualty of ride you are getting but shows that quality does pay- even if you have to pay for it- and pay and pay and pay--
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

jock doc
    My Bikes
    Torque Titanium with 650c wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey jppe with all that weight you are losing, you are making those rides too easy.
    Put on a weighted vest, 8-10 lbs, for all your training rides from now on leading up to those events.
    Then, on race day, shed that vest and fly up those hills.
    Just a thought.
    By the way, very nice bike!!!!!!!!!
    Good job keeping the wife in the dark.
    "and chase the frothy bubbles, while the world is full of troubles..."
    W.B. Yeats

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerdocnomo
    Hey jppe with all that weight you are losing, you are making those rides too easy.
    Put on a weighted vest, 8-10 lbs, for all your training rides from now on leading up to those events.
    Then, on race day, shed that vest and fly up those hills.
    Just a thought.
    By the way, very nice bike!!!!!!!!!
    Good job keeping the wife in the dark.

Adding the weight for training-now there's an interesting idea. However, it reminds me of where I was just a couple years ago with a 24 lb bike and pushing 210-220 lbs up the hills. I'm really surprised that I didn't just toss in the towel at some point........I think I'll stick to the lower weight and just push a harder gear than needed!!

Wife is aware of the bike now and fully supportive. I guess it's only a fair trade since I'm funding her college tuition. Heck, I should have bought the $6000 Orbea I was looking at to make it a fair trade.........Maybe after her business gets up and going.

BTW, I was talking to my LBS about lightweight bikes and he built up his wife a 13.5 lb bike. It's 53" Guru titanium frame, zero gravity brakes, speedplay pedals, dura ace, etc. I don't recall the wheels he put on it but now we're talking a lightweight bike!!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife is aware of the bike now and fully supportive. I guess it's only a fair trade since I'm funding her college tuition. Heck, I should have bought the $6000 Orbea I was looking at to make it a fair trade.........Maybe after her business gets up and going.
    Instead of the Orbea, how about this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Cool Factor" meter just went out the roof. I wonder if it comes in a different color though......

My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP, nice bike. I guess it's dressed for comfort, so I'll resist the urge to say, "Flip it!"
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer
    To the OP, nice bike. I guess it's dressed for comfort, so I'll resist the urge to say, "Flip it!"
    I've been asking myself the Flip it question as well.....I've always had the stems "parallel" and it bothers me to see the rise in the stem. This being a used bike the previous owner didn't raise the seat post up as much as I have (I could probably use another cm or two at the max) and cut the fork tube to fit him. Right now the bars are 1 cm lower than what I have been riding. So, if I do flip it it's going to increase the drop between the saddle several cm's below what I've been riding for 3-4 years. I'm going to start with it at it's present position and see if I can work myself down a little more over time.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've finally had time to "assemble" the bike that I will be using for the centuries in the mountains. Some will be probably be disappointed to hear it is just a 2004 Trek 5900. The previous owner was a "weight weenie" and also very meticulous with his bike....heck it seems new to me!!
    Hi Jppe!

I almost missed this post. Nice bike! You must be proud of her! Also, what's wrong with a 2004 5900 frame? Is there a difference? Is this the OCLV vs the Tiawanese carbon? I'm not that up on Treks, other than Linda had an '05 5000WSD that had the OCLV 120 frame, which was a nice bike.

Also, do you really think you need a compact?

Steve

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Hi Jppe!

I almost missed this post. Nice bike! You must be proud of her! Also, what's wrong with a 2004 5900 frame? Is there a difference? Is this the OCLV vs the Tiawanese carbon? I'm not that up on Treks, other than Linda had an '05 5000WSD that had the OCLV 120 frame, which was a nice bike.

Also, do you really think you need a compact?

Steve

Just got the bike back from the LBS with the 50/34 Shimano Compact Crank and she just loves to climb. I did my regular Tuesday/Thursday ride with the guys and with the reduced weight and slightly easier gear only got out of the 50 one time. I'm setting the bike up for the mountains so the 34 will be a must. If I were just doing rides around here I would have left the 53/39 on it. The 53/39 could go on my Madone since I'd probably use it around my house.

The Shimano Compact: It shifts really well-not as good as the Dura Ace but for a 50/34 it shifts great. It is not quite as smooth pedaling as the Dura Ace but okay for what I'm looking for. I don't think there will be problems with dropping chains with the Shimano.

The downside-I spin out on the 50/12 at 30 mph which is not a problem except going down hills leading a paceline. I've been used to a 52 or 53 and been able to accelerate a notch or two at 30+. This maybe more mental than anything. Gravity should work just fine!!

The look of the Shimano 50/34 is below average....the crank and spider are a polished aluminum/alloy. The chainrings are a brushed, darker metallic color. It doesn't do much for the looks of the bike but functionally I think I'm going to be very happy.

If the weather cooperates this weekend I'm going to ride in the mountains to see if I can get by on the 34/27 on some of the climbs with double digit grades or convince my LBS to go with a mountain bike rear drivetrain (Deore rear derailleur and a 11/32 cassette). The issue with that is that I'd need to change the shifters since they are 10 speed and mtn stuff is just 9.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    RockyMtnMerlin,

Brasstown Bald is in Georgia, in fact it is the highest point in the State, something over 4000 ft. And like most States (at least on the East Coast), they like to pave a road to the top of their highest point.

Bob
    Duh, I knew that. Must have been an early morning post. I am not geographically challenged, I am not geographically challenged, I am not ---- well you get the idea. I do have freinds who are looking at prperty in the Mtns of North Carolina and they mentioned how steep they are. THAT must have been it.