Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

jumped the gun

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

jumped the gun

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 01:08 AM
sdr
Misanthropic Miscreant

Bikes: Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jumped the gun

today i set out on my usual monday (day off) ride which usually covers any where between 25 and 35 miles. that's about what i was shooting for when i left home this morning. well, the sun was shining and the temperature was scheduled to be in the low 70's - it was a beautiful day in southern california!

from my house it's roughly 10 miles to the santa fe dam which happens to be smack dab in the middle of the san gabriel river MUP (multi use path). that was my original destination with the intent to do my cruise around the 70 acre lake and picnic on a sandwich purchased along the way.

gliding effortlessly along the bike path en route to the lake i began to contemplate my up coming birthday, in july, and how i have planned to ride my age - 60 big ones! my bike was purring, replete with the new shimano XC platform pedals that i had popped a C-note on, the air was crisp and clean and i felt really good.

upon arriving at the lake the thought struck me, "why not ride my age today?" rationalizing that it might be way too hot to ride the anticipated 60 miles in july, when the temperature could easily surpass 100 degrees and thus make such a ride all but impossible - at the very least, much more difficult than on a day like today.

i ended up going with that impulse and not only rode my upcoming birthday but eclipsed a metric century by 1.2 miles, finishing up my ride at 63.3 miles of the most enjoyable cycling i have ever done!

much of my route, about 40 miles, was undisturbed by vehicular traffic and followed the above mentioned san gabriel river bike path. see link: https://www.nearfield.com/~dan/sports...r/sg/index.htm

instead of doing my usual picnic at santa fe dam i held off until i reached legg lake.
link for legg lake: https://www.nearfield.com/~dan/sports...legg/index.htm

after lunch i circled the lake(s) and set off again, south past the whittier narrows dam, back on the bike path. traveling past the pico rivera golf course i was still somewhat uncertain about my ability to do the full 60, having previously only cycled 35 in one clip. so i turned around and headed back in the direction of the santa fe dam and home.

upon reaching santa fe i had ridden about 41 miles if memory serves? the once sunny beautiful day had suddenly turned ominous with the threat of rain and winds that threatened to blow me off the top of the dam.

undeterred by the dark clouds i pressed on, vowing to give it my best shot. that i did, riding into a rather stiff head wind from duarte to pasadena - to my LBS for a confirmation on the mileage required for a metric century. hell, if i was going for 60 why not go for another milestone?

arriving at my LBS my cyclometer read 56.6 miles. ironically, none of the employees were certain exactly how far a metric C was. being fairly sure that it was in the neighborhood of 62 miles i left the shop with that goal in mind. it's 4 miles from the shop to my house. in order that i not fall short by a few 1/10's i rode around a church parking lot, a mile and a half worth, before hitting the final mile back to my house.

after a cool-off lap in the neighborhood my final mileage tallied 63.3 most excellent miles!

i rode my age+ i rode a metric century+ i did it on a 40 lb+ hybrid bike - i feel great and the sense of accomplishment is amazing!

thanks for letting me share my ride,

*sdr*

Last edited by sdr; 04-18-06 at 01:15 AM. Reason: changed a word
Old 04-18-06, 04:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey sdr my dear friend...

i realize that i am a couple of months shy of the big "50," so i hope that this board will grant me OFIT status (Old Fart In Training).

ya know, i was so proud of myself on saturday because i actually put 150 miles on my bike. that's nearly 3 times my age! was i tired? yes. was i sore? you bet. but upon reading your post, i was humbled. you see, my bike has the help of a few horses...about 80 of em. maybe i should trade in the pegs of my harley for some pedals.

god love ya!

elliot
Old 04-18-06, 05:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great read and sounded like everything fell into place for you. Congrats on the goals.
Old 04-18-06, 05:28 AM

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Oh Yeah, the pleasure of an unplanned change of route. The excitement, the thrill, the mileage, the hint of nasty weather to really get the adrenaline flowing. Sounds like great fun!!! Wish we all were there!

Way to go!
Old 04-18-06, 05:52 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Man, what a day and ride report-felt like I was there with you. My hat's off to you for doing 63 miles on that heavy a bike. You did the equivalent of 120 miles on some of the lighter bikes I have!! Amazing story.

Congrats on riding your age, metric century, overcoming the elements and completing the ride. Your ride serves a terrific motivation for some of the upcoming centuries I have planned. There's just nothing like the strength of will power!!! You folks are really fortunate to have some of the riding areas you do!!!
Old 04-18-06, 07:01 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sdr - Great ride report and achievement. Sometimes it is the unplanned rides that provide that spark allowing not only for achievements and new records, but realizing you are having a great time also.
Congrats!!
Old 04-18-06, 08:52 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Quite exciting sdr! A ride well executed. THere are times when I miss the SoCal weather, its been either rainy, snowy or windy here in Montana all spring. I coulod deal witht he rain/snow, but the wind is a real killer for my cycling enthusiasm!.
Old 04-18-06, 12:31 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Doncha love it when everything comes together?
Old 04-18-06, 12:55 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congrats, sdr! Many happy returns!
Old 04-18-06, 01:22 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
SDR. That is the way to it. Just decide that the weathers right- the time is right and you are right- for a 30 mile ride that gets more than doubled. Shows you have that inner fitness without realising it. Well done. Nice to see someone else doing it with a disadvantage of a heavy bike aswell. Its alright for some to do it on 20lbs of Wobbly metal or carbon. (They still have to have the skill to ride one of those at the speed they go at), but Like you I prefer to have something solid underneath me. Well done again, and whats the next target to hit?

Spike Milligan