Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Between Rainstorms

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Well, last Saturday three of us rode BART over to San Francisco and had to carry the bikes up three levels to get to the street.

Phil was leading the ride and no one else showed up just because it was threatening to pour again.

Phil knows all of the really worst ways to tour San Francisco and Michael and I were stupid enough to follow him.

From the top of each hill we had a different and exciting view. And in between we got to call Phil all sorts of names for putting us through that. And it gave us a reason to stop in a pastry/coffee shop and have a fat pill.

While only 30 miles this turned out to be a really tiring ride. We even went down a street out in the boondocks of San Francisco that made Lombard St. (https://www.sftravel.com/lomabardcrookedstreet.html) look like a freeway.

The moral is that you can have a great bike ride anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SFRide.jpg (96.4 KB, 38 views)
SFRide1.jpg (98.5 KB, 29 views)
SFRide2small.jpg (99.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-14-06, 02:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
While only 30 miles this turned out to be a really tiring ride. We even went down a street out in the boondocks of San Francisco that made Lombard St. (https://www.sftravel.com/lomabardcrookedstreet.html) look like a freeway.

The moral is that you can have a great bike ride anywhere.
From the pictures - it is a Freeway compared to what we have to ride over here. The motorways are banned to bikes- but as they are full of cars parked up for the Easter rush- they may be the only things moving on them this Easter weekend.

Lucky devils managing to get in a decent ride in not what I would term the friendliest biking city. Can't you take the lead next time and find the downhill bits occasionally?

Spike Milligan
Old 04-14-06, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the jersey! The photo sort of extends the diagonal across the three of you...... Glad you could get out...I flatted on the Dumbarton last night...lots of frickin' glass, bumpers, roadkill and so on. These storms have been a treat!
Old 04-14-06, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, Southern Heights... I know that corner. That's where I left those bags!
Old 04-14-06, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fsor
I love the jersey! The photo sort of extends the diagonal across the three of you...... Glad you could get out...I flatted on the Dumbarton last night...lots of frickin' glass, bumpers, roadkill and so on. These storms have been a treat!
Hey, I hadn't noticed the diagonal thing! That's pretty funny. I'll have to point that out to the short guy who isn't all that short me being 6'4".
Old 04-14-06, 02:58 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the dude in the middle is wearing the wrong helmet.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-14-06, 06:02 PM
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I envy y'all, I remeber when I lived in Fremont and would take BART over to SF with my buds. We would ride down Embarcadero past all the piers, then ride along through Fisherman's Wharf (with a shrimp cocktail and sourdough break). Out past Fort Mason, then through the Presidio to the Golden Gate Bridge. Across the bridge to Sausalito, ride around there for a while (there's a trail all the way to Mill Valley if feeling ambitious). Then catch the ferry back to SF from Sausalito, and quaff a pint (or two) before heading back to BART. Aaah, Houston can't hold a candle to it ....

B'Dog
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer
Old 04-14-06, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We vacationed in SF for a week in Jan. Weather was good and as usual the food and drink were exceptional. We went up to Coit Tower because, when I was serving on the USS Coral Sea in 1975 we came home under the Golden Gate and there was a giant yellow ribbon tied around the tower - pretty special treat coming back from 7 months on a WWII era aricraft carrier - wanted to go up there and see what it looked like in person. When I saw the Tour of California on TV and noticed that they were doing a time trial up that hill from the Embaracdero, all I could think was
Old 04-14-06, 07:13 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you continue out that bike trail you can eventually end up out in Fairfax. From there you take the side road and ride up to Mt Tamalpias and continue to the left and to the left until you're on top of the world. On the way down you keep bearing to the left again and end up in Sausalito.

As soon as it warms up I'll do that ride again.
Old 04-15-06, 08:22 AM
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, they didn't have the around the bay loop completed when I used to live there. With all the left turns you describe, it sounds like Nascar on two wheels ....

B'Dog
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer