Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-15-06, 04:34 PM   #1
Raketmensch

Bikes:
Metric century

Just got back from my first 100-km ride in twenty years. Man, it felt great! Gorgeous day here, though pretty windy, and the bike just felt like it was jumping today. I felt strong the whole way, even with some pretty serious hills and headwinds toward the end. The best part was that my time over 62 miles was just ten minutes longer than my time over fifty miles was a month or so ago... and it was just as hilly a course on a windier day. I guess I've probably had a better day on a bike at some time or another, but I can't remember when just now.

And tomorrow Mrs. Raket and I are going to do a loop around Owasco Lake, one of the Finger Lakes. Hope she likes the cycling jersey I got her for her birthday. (The real present was the Roubaix, but I needed to have something else for her to unwrap this evening.) I think she's gonna look pretty cute in it.

Boy, I like riding my bike!
Raketmensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 05:02 PM   #2
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketmensch

And tomorrow Mrs. Raket and I are going to do a loop around Owasco Lake, one of the Finger Lakes.
I'll bet that's pretty area. I've heard that there are some good winerys there too. I may have to try it.

Al
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 05:06 PM   #3
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Great report!! Those bikes are made for riding!! Your times will continue to fall as you put in the miles and the weather gets even more agreeable. Keep pedaling!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 12:27 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketmensch
I guess I've probably had a better day on a bike at some time or another, but I can't remember when just now.

And tomorrow Mrs. Raket and I are going to do a loop around Owasco Lake, one of the Finger Lakes. Hope she likes the cycling jersey I got her for her birthday. (The real present was the Roubaix, but I needed to have something else for her to unwrap this evening.) I think she's gonna look pretty cute in it.

Memory doesn't fail on the good rides, so it was probably one of the best rides you have had. Just hope the new Jersey doesn't show how much effort you put into your ride yesterday. 10lbs less pressure in the tyres and a binding brake helps on the fit riders.

Well done but we now want a posting from the roubaix rider to confirm that it was not just one of those exceptional days. Well done on the ride- and on setting the new bike up to work properly.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote