Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Maiden ride on Miss Lightweight

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-06, 06:26 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Although the 50/34 Compact Crank has not come in yet, I wanted to get in a good ride on the 5900 to see I had any positioning issues that might need to be addressed. Since the gears weren't set up for riding in the mountains, I opted to do a ride from the house.

I left just before sunrise and did the Morrow Mountain State Park ride. There is a good bit of climbing between my house and the park plus there is a 3 mile climb in the park. After giving it a good workout, I'm even happier that I came across this bike. This is a sweet little bike and just wants to climb and climb. It was nice being able to climb hills in a gear or two harder than I've been accustomed to.

I'm really happy with how the bike has been set up in terms of reach, saddle height, etc. The true tests are if there are any aches and pains and the good news is I don't feel like I've ridden for 5+ hours today. The only adjustment I want to make is to move the shifters down about 1/2 a cm so I can shift a little easier in the drops plus it will add just a touch more reach.

The saddle is quite firm and might be better on 60 mile rides and below. If I need to, I can replace the saddle with something a little more 50+ ish.

The Dura Ace equipment is such a really nice add as well. It just spins along as well as shifts so smoothly. The brakes.......a-h-h-h-h........I was able to descend and enter a hairpin turn much faster but also get slowed down because the Dura Ace brakes were so much more responsive.

Today's ride was 101 miles in 5 hrs 54 mins riding time on what turned out to be a really warm day (85 degrees). I think if there any issues with anything with the bike it would have jumped out at me on a ride that long.

This was my 6th 100 mile century this year to go along with 6 other metric centuries. Heck, at this pace I could be at my 6000 mile goal for the year by October! If that happens maybe it will be time to take a few months off..........Right!
Old 04-15-06, 06:59 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I grow up, jppe, I want to be just like you. Buy a new bike, and take it out for it's maiden voyage, and ride a century.

Whoa.

Anyway, aside from the envy and incredulity, I'm glad the ride went well, and all looks pretty good to you. Sure is a pretty bike! (Even if it IS a Trek...)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-15-06, 07:30 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 with my admiration.....ain't it grand when a sizable investment pans out perfectly and high expectations are really delivered. Congrats.
Old 04-15-06, 09:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, well done I say! That's a great way to break in a new bike. Given the setup and the components, your description of the ride is just about exactly what I would have expected.

And at the rate you're going, I think you need to set a new goal for the year... 6000 miles on Miss Lightweight.
Old 04-15-06, 09:28 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The irony is that, for many of us, the Madone would be a dream bike. Perhaps, jppe, you could raffle off the Madone. Or maybe CraigsList....it would end sitting in DG's living room! How does the 5900 do over rough road surfaces compared to the Madone? How about Miss L's handling and tracking, especially on downhill sweepers, "chicanes", and such? Your "feeling tone" for Ultegra vs. D/A?
Old 04-16-06, 12:39 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee

Whoa.

Anyway, aside from the envy and incredulity, I'm glad the ride went well, and all looks pretty good to you. Sure is a pretty bike! (Even if it IS a Trek...)
Come off it DG. Jealousy will get you everywhere. It may be a Trek- But it must be something special. Lance must have walked through the assembly point and cast his eye over it and worked his wizardry. I can see a respectable road bike coming along- and not only for DG. Too many of us will now have Green Eyes and will be taking the bank manager out to lunch to see how much a loan we can get.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-16-06, 12:54 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Come off it DG. Jealousy will get you everywhere. It may be a Trek- But it must be something special. Lance must have walked through the assembly point and cast his eye over it and worked his wizardry. I can see a respectable road bike coming along- and not only for DG. Too many of us will now have Green Eyes and will be taking the bank manager out to lunch to see how much a loan we can get.
Stapfam, I fear you are oh, so right.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-16-06, 05:41 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
The irony is that, for many of us, the Madone would be a dream bike. Perhaps, jppe, you could raffle off the Madone. Or maybe CraigsList....it would end sitting in DG's living room! How does the 5900 do over rough road surfaces compared to the Madone? How about Miss L's handling and tracking, especially on downhill sweepers, "chicanes", and such? Your "feeling tone" for Ultegra vs. D/A?

The raffle idea is intriguing. My wife is now aware of the new bike and I must admit I was shocked at how she just took it in stride. Maybe a quality for the perfect cycling wife???? I was worried I might have to eliminate the Madone. I'll probably keep it around for a while just to see how things go. The plan is to continue to use it as an everyday bike-having something a little heavier makes Miss L seem even lighter when you ride her. Until I get the new gearing on the 5900 I will not change anything on the Madone in case I need to use it for the Mountain centuries.

The Madone is a much stiffer bike by design than than the 5900. Thus, on bumpier roads you feel a lot more of the road than you do on the 5900. For example, I absolutely could not ride 100 miles on the saddle that is on the 5900-just too jarring a ride. I had a 5200 for a year and it has the same ride qualities--dampens most of the road noise-much more so than the 5900.

The biggest difference on handling is not the frame difference but the frame size difference. For example, on fast descents, I could press the inside of my thighs against the top tube to help with stability. On the 5900, when I do that the top tube is around the inside of my knees. I noticed the 5900 was a little "quicker" in the turns-since it has a smaller turning radius.

Ultegra vs Dura Ace. Man, I'm hooked on the Dura Ace. I probably would not have noticed the subtle differences when I started riding a few years ago but have a little more of a discerning eye now. The shifts are smoother and more sure (crisper), pedaling smoother, etc. I really like the 53/39 crank-just so smooth-that I'll probably move it over to the Madone in a month or so. The brakes are incredibly better than the Ultegra on my Madone. All that said, with 3 college tuitions I probably could not have afforded to put new Dura Ace on a bike so I probably would have gone the used route.

Now you just gave me another idea. If I keep the Madone I may be shopping for some Dura Ace stuff-although it already has Dura Ace brifters.........

Last edited by jppe; 04-17-06 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-16-06, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
This was my 6th 100 mile century this year to go along with 6 other metric centuries. Heck, at this pace I could be at my 6000 mile goal for the year by October! If that happens maybe it will be time to take a few months off..........Right!

Or... get yet another new ride! Congrats on the new Miss Lightweight!
Old 04-16-06, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love your bike reviews! Congrats on the new toy!