User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 2120, LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birthday challenge +6

In addition to the usual cream filled eggs, jelly beans and marshmellow peeps, the easter bunny brought me a special gift, another birthday to add to the 54 I had already celebrated.
    So hopped up on a sugar high I left the house at 11 this morning to ride the required 55 miles. I had done two prep rides during the week, one 40 and one 45 miles, so I knew I would be able to do the 55 miles, but what I didn't count on was that my sugar addled brain would have a problem figuring out how to add the extra miles. It was after about 45 miles that I realized that I only needed ten more miles, but I was at least 15 miles from home. After stopping to eat a snickers bar, (Hair of the dog that bit you.) I made it home with a total of 61.5 miles.
    My question is, can I put the extra six miles in some sort of account and then deduct them from next years ride?

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo!

Unfortunately, taxes are due tomorrow, so you'll have to send your extra miles to the IRS.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the ride, and Happy Birthday!

As to your question, I tried the same question last year, and got no mercy from this crowd of ne'er-do-wells so you ain't getting any from me! You can't credit the miles for next year, no how, no way!

But still and all, great ride!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That extra 6 miles will work against you. Your standard is now the 61.5 you have done this year- and the next year you will have to do 62.5. Just because you don't want to ride your age- Don't blame us. You did it so you have to pay for it.

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT When you get to 95- you can redeem all the extra birthday miles so you may not even have to get the bike out of the door on that day. That is if you keep to the rules and keep doing the extra miles each year.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 2120, LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Maybe papedaler is really 61.5 years old...did we ever consider that?

Something tells me that when I try to get out of bed tomorrow I just might feel like I'm 61.5.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like you just missed the metric century. I think you should have to ride it all again.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today is my birthday, too. I had planned on the obligatory 59 mile ride, but had to do 59 minutes on the trainer, instead. It's has been snowing all day. Maybe tomorrow . . . .

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    Today is my birthday, too. I had planned on the obligatory 59 mile ride, but had to do 59 minutes on the trainer, instead. It's has been snowing all day. Maybe tomorrow . . . .
    The original Birthday ride became a virtual ride with others across the forum joining in with One members ride your age ride. This was around September and as many of us as possible riding their age on this day, or as near to it as possible. My birthday is January so I was lucky in that I now had the chance of doing mine in the Height of Summer.

So don't think you have got out of it. There is still the road ride to do with all the hills- all the traffic or wildlife to contend with. Advantage is there will still be the Cafe stop with pie to contend with aswell.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papedaler
    My question is, can I put the extra six miles in some sort of account and then deduct them from next years ride?

Now you're talking!!!

I did 109 miles last year on my 53rd birthday so that will not only cover me for 2006 plus I have 2 miles for the bank for 2007!!!

BTW-I just love the little sugar bunny things that taste like circus peanuts. Those are the best!!