Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great ride -- personal fastest and slowest speeds

I had a great ride today -- only 32 miles but some short, steep hills along the way. We have a nice road along the the reservoir in Ft. Collins, and today was the perfect day to ride this route -- blue water, green hills, blue sky and snow-capped mountains in the distance. Perfect.

The route has the steepest hills I've done, all less than 300 ft. vertical, but with a grade that goes up to 15%. Without a triple I would've been walking. Embarassingly enough, on the steepest hill a runner passed me easily. I think I was going ~4mph. However, on the north end of the reservoir is a long, straight downhill, and I hit my top speed ever -- 51mph. And I think the speed limit through there is 35! I can see it now: "No, officier I don't know how fast I was going, I was kinda busy at the time. Let me check my computer."

Nick

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pesonal bests are always fun. I love it when I exceed the posted speed limit. It makes me feel so rebel-like. I'm jealous, since it has snowed here in the California Mountains all day. I had hoped to get out for my birthday ride. Maybe tomorrow.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    51 mph is almost airborne.....sure is nice when one of us "senior members" raises a little hell. 4mph beats 3mph.....and on a 15% grade as long as you're upright consider yourself a climber. You get the Pantani Award for this evening!
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a little mound around here called Cavaleros Hill. I went up it at 3mph. Since I was still breathing at the top, I considered it a draw. A couple hours later, I went down it at 51. It's the only time I ever ran out the cranks.
    I yodel'd all the way to the bottom.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmichell
    I had a great ride today -- only 32 miles but some short, steep hills along the way. We have a nice road along the the reservoir in Ft. Collins, and today was the perfect day to ride this route -- blue water, green hills, blue sky and snow-capped mountains in the distance. Perfect.

The route has the steepest hills I've done, all less than 300 ft. vertical, but with a grade that goes up to 15%. Without a triple I would've been walking. Embarassingly enough, on the steepest hill a runner passed me easily. I think I was going ~4mph. However, on the north end of the reservoir is a long, straight downhill, and I hit my top speed ever -- 51mph. And I think the speed limit through there is 35! I can see it now: "No, officier I don't know how fast I was going, I was kinda busy at the time. Let me check my computer."

Nick

Lucky devil- 4mph uphill is fast for us- but these are offroad, 15% and about a mile long. As walkers pass us- which does occasionally happen, we ask them for a push. Normally gets a grin but never assistance. On the top speed- That is fast- Our fastest is 53.8 but that was on a perfectly smooth run that was about 50 ft wide half mile hill and the only problem was a gate halfway down that we had to slow for.

One of my friends was stopped by the Police for doing 37 in a 30 limit. They asked him if he knew what speed he was doing and when he replied- "I'll look at the computer" they flipped. Bad enough that a bike was going at that speed- but that the rider knew his speed. Big lecture about speed being a danger, bikes being dangerous and unsafe etc. While doing the lecture- a group came past doing a lot more so the Police just said- Forget it and mumbled something about setting up speed traps to catch the miscreants. (Not the word they used but More polite)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the 4 mph........I've walked the bike up a few hills and that's faster than when you're pushing the bike!! Good advice on climbing: As long as you're moving forward you're doing okay!!

That route sounds like a great loop.......come good grunts and fast descents with great views. It sounds like it has it all and can be done in around 2 hours perhaps????

Anything over 50 mph is fast!!!

My fastest speed is almost the same speed......I hit 52 mph last year and was passing motorcycles. I kept asking myself about the condition of the front tire and tring to figure out how many miles it had on it. Too late to be thinking about that then!!!! I don't think I'll hit that again as I have less weight to help gravity out. Unless the new ceramic bearings make that much of a difference!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    On the 4 mph........I've walked the bike up a few hills and that's faster than when you're pushing the bike!! Good advice on climbing: As long as you're moving forward you're doing okay!!

That route sounds like a great loop.......come good grunts and fast descents with great views. It sounds like it has it all and can be done in around 2 hours perhaps????

Anything over 50 mph is fast!!!

My fastest speed is almost the same speed......I hit 52 mph last year and was passing motorcycles. I kept asking myself about the condition of the front tire and tring to figure out how many miles it had on it. Too late to be thinking about that then!!!! I don't think I'll hit that again as I have less weight to help gravity out. Unless the new ceramic bearings make that much of a difference!!
    It's a really scenic route. It took me about 2 1/4 hours since I'm very slow over the hills, but I finished in good shape. There's a ride here at the end of summer that includes the part along the reservoir (on the right, not the one for mountain goats on the left )

http://www.math.colostate.edu/~estep/2006_hdd.html

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On 20% grades I start doing switch-backs if the road is clear, might drop the straightline speed to 2 MPH. Otherwise walk. On a normal bike I reached 45MPH on a fully loaded touring bike (Miyata 1000) coming off of Loveland Pass towards Breckenridge. Thin air at 10,000 ft helps speed. On a faired recumbent hit 70 and nearly got killed going down the Interstate frontage road frontage road into Denver. Mother Cabrini save me.
    This space open

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great ride sir!
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a series of hills I sometimes ride, up and down the Brazos river valley out west of Fort Worth. One stretch of 10 miles has about four of these monsters. Takes a minute and half to the bottom and 12-15 minutes to the top of the next. I grind it out on a 28x34 front-rear gearing at 4.5 mph with about 70 spm. One time a friend came along in his truck as I was heading uphill and stopped to let me know that I was only going 4 mph. Not being a cyclist, he didn't understand how proud I was of 4mph as opposed to pushing the loaded touring bike. My highest speed going downhill was 39 mph on my hybrid. I realize that's nothing compared to the roadies, but I was proud of it.

".....and then the wheels came off"

My Bikes
    Steve Bauer Whirlwind, Nishiki International, Rocky Mountain Element 30 1984 Cinelli Super Corsa w/Campy 50th, Surly LHT.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slowest was a ride some years ago when it took a group of us almost 4 hours to go 26 km into a horrendous head wind (prairie boy!) Fastest was on the same road many years later: coming back from a loaded tour - 50 pounds of gear on the bike, at the top of the only hill in our area with a huge tailwind I cranked it up to 55 KPH, at the bottom I had hit 89.6 KPH - my own PB. Took several hours to wipe the smile off my face - walked around carrying my computer and showing it to all who were interested (and quite a few who were not!)

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    51MPH, sweet. I really enjoy the few times I have a great tailwind or on a nice downhill and I can actually pass cars (I know, not always the brightest thing to do, put it does feel great). I noticed the hills this winter got a little tougher than realized I had packed on a few extra lbs to "protect me from the flu season". Once the lbs were shed ( this month) the hills returned to their normal nasty self.

JCM - yodeling down a hill interesting, I've chortled down a hill, sang Steely Dan down a hill, screamed down a hill, but never yodel'd, will have to give it try tomorrow