Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Life, Irony,odds,karma And Road Riding. Not Once But Twice

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 07:23 AM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A little long.

Sometimes I wonder how life and hap-pence occurs and the forces of luck, no luck, odds, and karma concerning events that occur in ones life in cycling, or just everyday occurrences.

Case in poiont:
I have an identical twin brother, we are both avid cyclist, do most of our rides togeather, and quite competitive, I hammer on the flats better than he, and he climbs better than I.
I turned him onto bike riding and campy many years ago, ever since all his bikes are campy.
I comitted Blasphemy, I became a Shimano convert. {just some background.}

Now for the story.
On Febuary 13 he was riding one of our 20+ mile routes, some rolling little hills and flats more or less a loop from home. He had just gotten to about mile 13, and you have a access road for freeway traffic coming off, he is riding in the bike lane/shoulder of the road far right hand side, he says it happened less than a blink of an eye, bam!! he flies off into a field,lucky no big rocks or trees, a lady had come off of the freeway, crossed two lanes and side swiped him, the impact tore his cylcing clothes on his left side caught and pulled the mirror and side pieces off of the car that hit him.
The lady was 83 years old, trying to lite a cigarette. Her response to the investigating officer, {I DID NOT SEE HIM} SHE WAS ISSUED TWO CITATIONS.
My brother received some large brusing, cuts and scratches,back strain, from the impact and being flung into the field.
His bicycle a Colonago dream, all aluminium was not damaged like one would think, a large dent by the seat-tube and that was it.
Insurance Company settled, after debating some issues and a letter we composed togeather pointing out the facts because they were not going to pay until he responded with see ya in court.
Settlement, was not much $4000.00 and he released his Colonago dream to the insurance co.
Happy man, escaped major injury and on his way to buy a new Frame.

Last week he bought a Guru Carbon Titanio, hot bike, nice looking ride, full campy record ,really sweet.
He picked it up yesterday April 21.

This was his first maiden ride on the bike. He called to see if I was riding, I told him just now leaving work., He says see ya, no problem I understand the excitment and thrill of wanting to ride his new bike as soon as possible.

I get home, dress in my biking regalia, launch myself onto my bike and hit the road , hammering such a beautiful day, coming down the hill about 3 milesfrom home I see a police car, then another one pulls up blocks the road with an ambulance behind them, lights and siren on, as I come down the hill I feel a weird sensation, a premonition, the willies, {me thinking}, FU#k I hope tharts not my brother!

I hit the light. I am ansty, I feel a sense of dread, the light turns, I see a helmeted cyclist, Christ it is my brother, standing though , but surrounded by the paramedics and police.
He had gotten hit again this time purposely,. Eye witness accounts.
HIT AND RUN!! THEY TAKE OFF.

He was in the turn lane, sweeping right onto the shoulder, the car behind him with two males follow him through the light they get next to him, gun the car, hitting the accelerator and turn ino him, not once but twice, the window is down in the cars passenger side he grabs the guys arm, they turn into him again, he veers, lets go of the occupant in the car and once again he goes off the side of the road, sliding on the pavment onto the grass, HIS ACCOUNT AS WELL AS THE EYE WITNESSES.
MAKE OF CAR DESCRIPTION AND LISCENSE NUMBER WERE ACQUIRED FROM THE WITNESSES.

He has road rash, again torn bicycling clothing, the bike looked OK, released from the hospital later that evening. He is taking it to the LBS today to get checked to see if their is futher damage.

Yesterday I saw anger, I saw fear in his eyes, he does not quicken with temper like I do, he is and always has been clamer and more easy going than I.
I know his responses to hecklers now while we are riding will be a backlash from these two incidents. He is already talking about carrying a small caliber pistol while riding ,and a situation like this again could possibly become vilotile .

Charges of Felony hit and run will be pressed if they are apprehended, the police believe it could possible be catagorized as a felony with intent to murder. He has never seen these individuals before.

One hell of a lucky Man .
Odds and Karma, ya just never know
Old 04-22-06, 07:33 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Wow!

It would give one second thoughts.

Our best to your twin.

I missed where this happened, and I would like to know the city and/or state, if possible.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-06, 07:47 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Thanks for sharing the story. I can relate so much to you guys as I also have a brother who is a cyclist and was hit by a car and wound up with a broken hip.

First, I'm really glad to hear he is not physically hurt too much. I suspect that emotionally he is on razors edge. Unfortunately I'm seeing and sensing even more impatience and less tolerance of cyclists in the area I live in when traffic is heavier. As much as I love cycling and as big a part of my life it has become, I'd probably have to seriously consider stopping if it came to carrying a firearm, though.

I sure hope they catch the two punks and can get them off the streets. Keep us posted there.

Please tell your brother that the cycling community is behind you guys 100%.
Old 04-22-06, 08:06 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Holy Toledo. What a story. Hope they catch those bastuds and throw 'em in the slammer for a long, long time. Let us know what happens.
Old 04-22-06, 08:07 AM
Semper Fidelis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks.
we live in Arlington, Texas. {NOT A BICK FRIENDLY CITY}

Maybe FRIDAYS are just bad days toO cyclist.
Hurried drivers, drunks and simpleton type people who fail to realize cyclist also have a right to the road.
Old 04-22-06, 08:49 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazing story. Please give your brother our best. I don't know, if it were me, and it happened twice, I'd have to take up another activity. Not sure I could get back out there again. Whoa.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-22-06, 09:46 AM
Semper Fidelis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
as we all know being passionate about cycling it would be hard to give up.
kind of like sex once ya do it ya want to do more.
Sometimes I don't know which one is better sex or cycling
Old 04-22-06, 09:52 AM
Semper Fidelis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh yea I forgot, sorry about some of the erros with spelling and structure, @ work today