Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maps And More............

Two questions;

Has anyone ever used stem 'Risers' or 'Raisers', and if so what was your experience? I rode 25 on Saturday
    and was hoping for 35 on Sunday but my hands/elbows/shoulders started to bother me so I beat a hasty retreat.
    I have a wonderful Trek 1200 but it is really the wrong bike for me and I can't afford another one for a bit. Yes,
    I've been fitted and have done a search for 'Risers' and 'Raisers' but I'm built a bit like a cartoon character, with
    a 50" chest and a 35" waist and have a long heavy torso and short skinny legs.

Secondly, has anyone used DeLorme TOPO 6.0 and where is the cheapest place to buy it?

As always,
    LastPlace

My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you have your current stem in the "upward" position. I think Trek has a 17 degree rise stem available also.

I have seen the extenders used but do not have personal experience. However I actually used an adjustable stem when I put drop bars on my hybrid. The adjustable was enough for me.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Last Place--Good questions. Seems most bikes are set up for racers or those who wannabe. But a good local bike shop should be able to set you up in a way that's comfortable for YOU. My own choice would be handlebars as high as the seat, which ain't aero, but my back says "thank you."

I have used a riser on a 1980-something Mt. bike which I set up with mustache bars. Very comfy.

BTW, don't get talked into a position that you're not comfortable with--regardless of what the professional fitting says. Ideally, you should make an appointment, and let them keep fitting you with various stem configurations until you're happy. And if they do a good job for you, spread the word, and give them your custom, even if you could save a buck or two somewhere else.

Well, that's my two cents.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    Two questions;

Secondly, has anyone used DeLorme TOPO 6.0 and where is the cheapest place to buy it?

As always,
    LastPlace
    I have not used TOPO 6.0 but have been researching mapping software that will create elevation profiles. I think TOPO 6.0 will be my choice over National Geographic Topo! because it covers a wider area and is cheaper. The best price I have found for a new, registerable copy is HERE

Dogbait

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used DeLorme stuff years ago and it would not do the detail that full topos do. I ended up buying the National Geographic series for my state, and one adjacent state. They are really fantastic. Biggest issue with all of the mapping software is being able to print out something either big enough to be useful. Otherwise, you end up with a bunch of 81/2 by 11 sheets to cover any decent area (or too samll to see any detail what-so-ever). I use a 13 x 19 printer, but also have large format printer for my business. Without them, the mapping softwares just are not all that usable.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our C'Dale tandem I use a Delta stem riser. I know, it's not cool to use, but I'm way beyond worrying about that. I like getting my bars up to, or slightly above my seat level, especially on the tandem. This riser works just great and is black, so it's not real obvious next to the other black components. You may have to extend some cables, etc. but it's important to be comfortable. We often ride with other tandem teams, and more than once I've been responsible for others deciding to purchase a Delta riser. I wouldn't want to be without it. OHB

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Hey Last Place--Good questions. Seems most bikes are set up for racers or those who wannabe. But a good local bike shop should be able to set you up in a way that's comfortable for YOU. My own choice would be handlebars as high as the seat, which ain't aero, but my back says "thank you."
    I ride a mountain bike- but used to set it up differently for road use. I had a 7degree ride stem that for mountain biking was up and for road use was down. With it in the down position, I was more aerodynamic and felt comfortablefor the road use- No way could I use that set up Off road but it is a simple job to reverse the stem.

Unfortunately- Bodies change and mine did after a couple of Ops. I can no longer ride with my Nose just above my knees- so does not matter what type of ride it is. the Saddle is set up perfectly for me and the bars are just above the saddle. Only thing that may alter is the closeness of the bars to the saddle and that is coming down gradually as I adapt to my my more comfortable riding position
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

tn man
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also installed a Delta Stem Riser on my touring bike. Unlike Old Hammer Boy, mine is chrome and I’ve never even thought about it being un-cool. During installation, I had two issues. The first was the cable issue, which only required that I extend the front brake cable. The back brake cable and the gear cables were already long enough. The second issue was related to my bikes threadless stem. Apparently, the most common configuration has a star-fangled nut inserted in the fork tube. The Delta Stem Riser comes with a bolt that engages the star-fangled nut during installation to adjust the play in the headset. The design of my bikes stem does not utilize the above-mentioned star-fangled nut. Instead, it is adjusted through a process similar to standing on one foot and waving your arms in the air while reciting a special incantation. After a few false starts I managed to get the riser installed and have enjoyed it ever since. My recommendation is to go for it. You can always ride around a few miles with one or both of the brake cables hanging free until you decide if it is right for you.

Denis K

My Bikes
    CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT, Rodriguez , Bike Friday, 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer, others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rivendell catalogue is (surprise surprise) quite opinionated about the various aspects of your handlebars, seat alignment, position, coolness, extensions and the quality of various products. It appears to be a love hate thing with some of us bike guys. You might get a hold of one of their catelogues and see some of their solutions.

My Bikes
    2007 Gary Fisher Piranha & ~ 1984 Ross Mt Whitney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I was a beta tester for DeLorme Topo USA 6. I haven't loaded the production version yet.
    The new version has quite a few improvements.
    For me the best new features are fixing routable trails and allowing you to copy tracks to trails.
    This allows me to create a network of routable trails from my bike trail network of Metro Denver area (tracklogs). I can then create various loop alternatives and get the distance.
    New version also improves waypoint management and adds 3D fly-byes.

DeLorme has 24K Topo quads comperable to the National Geographic TOPO! state series.
    I have both. Topo USA is more similar in detail to NG Back roads explorer in terms of maps.
    DeLorme hass much more powerful mapping capabilities. You can view diffetent data side by side (e.g. USGS Quads|Sat10 color photos|Higher Res BW phots against the updated roads of TOPO USA 6.
    The routable trails feature is neat.
    National Geographic does not allow you to upload the tracks you map to a GPS.
    If you don't want to upload tracks to a GPS, then you might consider NG TOPO!. I find that feature critical for my uses.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a cheap adjustable stem and North Road bars on both my main bikes. Put 'em where you want 'em. I've been plenty cool in my life and now I don't care.
    http://i3.tinypic.com/vze9tl.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Be sure to ck your saddle adjustment as well. Too far back or too forward can cause problems to. Hand problems etc I find are often caused by a poor saddle or improper adjustment of it.

Florida to Oregon in 2007 lighthorse@eart's Avatar
    My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lastplace,
    Check doghouse's post. It is possible to flip your stem over and get a significant rise out of the stem that you have. No purchase required.
    lighthorse
    03 Lemond Buenos Aires
    97 Trek 7500 (needs work)
    05 Scattante CFR
    06 Burley Hudson
    Melbourne, Fl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Questions..............

WOW! The response to my questions has, as usual, been great. Thanks for all the replies.

Where do I begin? I have the Delta riser and the cables were not long enough so I had the lbs where I bought it put it on for me and its a tad ugly, but is slightly covered by the gel carrier that I attach to the
    top tube/headset tube. I will sneak out of work a bit early today and will give it a try on my evening
    ride. The handlebars are finally level with my Brooks so it will be quite a change. Since I've always been
    more than a bit 'Fred' the folks I ride with will have some fun with it....... in a good natured way.

As for TOPO 6.0. Dogbait.........wish I had seen your reply before I sent DeLorme sixty dollars but things
    happen. It should arrive here (Columbia, SC) on Monday and I look forward to learning how to use it.

This summer I would like to ride some good hills and TOPO can help me find them and the 'riser' just might
    make it more comfortable. Last year I did 1k from June to October and hope to double that this year.

Thanks again for all the help.

As always,
    LastPlace

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I got the DeLorme software in the mail today and have been playing around with it this evening. I think it will do what I want which is to display an elevation profile and a map of some of my usual routes. Eventually, I will use it to lay out, in advance, the daily routes of a mutli-day tour around the Oregon Coast and the Willamette Valley. I have a ways to go in learning how to use the software and how it will integrate with my photo editing apps but it looks good so far. Here is a sample of one of my 25 mile training rides.

Dogbait