Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Biking Popularity

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Biking Popularity

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX LeMond Alpe d'Huez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is it that when people have different opinions there is always one that says the other is wrong?

We all ride for our own reasons. Some like to try to turn the clock back and some like to ride easy.

No one is wrong. No one needs to be wrong. Whatever floats your boat.

Regards,

Bill

PS Go Will, be strong!
Old 04-19-06, 06:17 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What's wrong with fat, slow, hybrid riding old farts, eh?

Don't get me started on self described "serious cyclists" setting the limits for an "approved" cyclist profile. If you wish to do so, let's do it on another thread.

I wrote the words that seem to have offended I-Like-To-Bike and maybe others. There was no offense intended, no statement slandering or denigrating fat slow hybrid riding old farts. Frequently I ride slow and just for a bit of fun. It was just nice to see a post by a 50+ who will be doing something that many of us wish we could accomplish. Nothing more. Certainly no desire to "get you started".

I'm not a power rider, I don't dress in team kit - heck, even the computers left my bikes years ago. No cycling diary, no power meter, no HRM. I ride my bikes alot - old bikes, city bikes, a mtb with no suspension, and even a beach cruiser. Digital Gee will remember that thread. But I like to ride my newer bikes the most when I go out for more than an hour. Sometimes I try to go farther or faster than last time. It's part of the thrill of the sport for me.

I liked Will's post a lot. It was a change from many of the posts on this forum. I like this forum and am not putting down other posts or any topic raised. Peace to all.
Old 04-19-06, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I wrote the words that seem to have offended I-Like-To-Bike and maybe others. There was no offense intended, no statement slandering or denigrating fat slow hybrid riding old farts. Frequently I ride slow and just for a bit of fun. It was just nice to see a post by a 50+ who will be doing something that many of us wish we could accomplish. Nothing more. Certainly no desire to "get you started".

I'm not a power rider, I don't dress in team kit - heck, even the computers left my bikes years ago. No cycling diary, no power meter, no HRM. I ride my bikes alot - old bikes, city bikes, a mtb with no suspension, and even a beach cruiser. Digital Gee will remember that thread. But I like to ride my newer bikes the most when I go out for more than an hour. Sometimes I try to go farther or faster than last time. It's part of the thrill of the sport for me.

I liked Will's post a lot. It was a change from many of the posts on this forum. I like this forum and am not putting down other posts or any topic raised. Peace to all.
This is for me an interesting post. Wildwood is baring his soul a little.
I have been called elitist just because I love to push my limits and get high from it.
Example: Today intended to do a training ride at tour pace of 16.5 MPH.
What happened? There was a serious biker challenging me. He happened to be 45 years younger. We averaged 19.8 MPH on the same course I did 18 MPH average yesterday.
BTW, I have all the gizmo's and spend money like a drunken sailor on bikes. You would be surprised what this tour cost.
My reason is that life is short and I want to enjoy it to the fullest, not to impress anyone.
Does that make me elitist? My best friends are what some call couch potatoes and I still love them. Not one of them is a biker but they have other passions.
In the end we are all alone and must see how we get through life.
Not so long ago I was 240 lb. I did not have low self esteem because of that. I was self critical and decided to do something. Lots of my friends do not for all kinds of reasons. Some smoke. Now that is really doing damage in view of what we know. But will they stop? Certainly it is no good to bug them about that? To me that is the same as the issue Wildwood raised.
Old 04-19-06, 07:37 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rant: Why should anyone here have to defend their cycling tastes/choices from the self-appointed disapproval police? We each ride the way we do because we enjoy it or circumstance dictates that we do. Just as DeeGee should not feel compelled to do a century unless he freely chooses to, so Will or anyone else shouldn't need to camouflage their achievements or passion in order not to offend a hypersensitive few who ride differently. I don't recall any of our faster, stronger, harder core riders throwing out terms like "wimp" or "quitter". I for one like stories of weekly centuries, midnight mud runs, and such. I feel no less about myself for admiring others.....and instead of elitist disdain, these riders express modesty and support for others.

This charge of "elitism" here deserves to be dropped like Gary's lead pipe. Compared to some other forums, this place seems awash in goodwill.

Last edited by GrannyGear; 04-19-06 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-19-06, 07:51 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Rant: Why should anyone here have to defend their cycling tastes/choices from the self-appointed disapproval police? We each ride the way we do because we enjoy it or circumstance dictates that we do. Just as DeeGee should not feel compelled to do a century unless he freely chooses to, so Will or anyone else shouldn't need to camouflage their achievements or passion in order not to offend those who ride "moderately". I don't recall any of our faster, stronger, harder core riders throwing out terms like "wimp" or "quitter". I for one like stories of weekly centuries, midnight mud runs, and such. I feel no less about myself for admiring others.....and instead of elitist disdain, these riders express modesty and support for others.

This charge of "elitism" here deserves to be dropped like Gary's lead pipe.
+1.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-19-06, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had a brainstorm:
What would we write in this forum if there are no such disagreements as raised by "I-like-to Bike" and "Wildwood"?
Let us please not stop arguing but of course we must be civil. This forum would be very boring without arguments. We all have seen threads were we just stroke each others egos.
Old 04-19-06, 08:21 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by will dehne
I just had a brainstorm:
What would we write in this forum if there are no such disagreements as raised by "I-like-to Bike" and "Wildwood"?
Let us please not stop arguing but of course we must be civil. This forum would be very boring without arguments. We all have seen threads were we just stroke each others egos.
Believe me, Internet forums will always include debate that goes beyond "lively".
On the Internet it's OK to be less than civil, because you can always opt out rather than argue.

Let's get back to the original topic of congratulating Will for his effort and wishing him every good bit of luck on his adventure. What a trip - kinda like around the world in 80 days but more painful.
Old 04-19-06, 08:21 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I just had a brainstorm:
Good idea. When not stroking each others ego, some of those offended by the suggestion that there may be a hint of roadie elitism underlying some of their posts, could post some more info about "serious" cycling and the equipment needed for such activity.
Old 04-19-06, 08:23 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Let's get back to the original topic of congratulating Will for his effort and wishing him every good bit of luck on his adventure. What a trip - kinda like around the world in 80 days but more painful.
+1. Good luck in your journey, Will.
Old 04-19-06, 08:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea. When not stroking each others ego, some of those offended by the suggestion that there may be a hint of roadie elitism underlying some of their posts, could post some more info about "serious" cycling and the equipment needed for such activity.
............indeed. Consider the noble, bottom dwelling, innocent-fish ambushing octopus. When confronted by a real or imagined threat to his well-being, he jets forth a cloud of harmless yet murky "ink" rather like a human epithet such as "elitist" or "racist" or somesuch--and then he slyly makes his getaway. Clever dog, er-- cephalopod!

Hey, I like this personal sarcasm; its, like, so real and authentic--unlike that drippy ego stroking BS and chit/chat. Its my first time being "nitty gritty" here at BF, but I'll get better and so will my contributions.

Now, you frickin' elitist, arrogant bustards, let's go after cable ends....I say the ones with lips are inferior to the lipless.

For sure, we all seem to support you, Will, no matter what your avg. speed for the day.

Like to Bike, this could be the start of a beautiful virtual friendship...we can duke it out on the road some time---two old farts spinning demonically at 12mph.
Old 04-19-06, 09:12 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

....we can duke it out on the road some time---two old farts spinning demonically at 12mph.
on hybrids

LOL - .........hey wait a minute, I resemble that remark!?!
Old 04-19-06, 09:41 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When confronted by a real or imagined threat to his well-being, he jets forth a cloud of harmless yet murky "ink"
Working in university public relations, this sounds like the story of my life.
Old 04-19-06, 11:38 PM

Bikes: Canyon Alu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best wishes, good luck and a lot of fun for all these miles, Will
marmotte
Old 04-20-06, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading this Thread again in its totality is fun.
Flying out Saturday. Next two days are: Lets concentrate on wife days.
Thanks guys.
Old 04-20-06, 09:34 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
An excellent post. But it doesn't alter the obvious elitism in the post to which I referred.
Using bicycling to improve one 's physical condition is fine. Of course maintaining/improving mental conditioning may be just as important in some cases. I find surprising the angst so often expressed on the BF, including this list, about the "required" pain and strain (and equipment purchases) necessary to attain some arbitrary goal; a goal often set by self appointed experts to achieve the exalted state/"image" of "Serious" cyclist.
I finally found my hammer. Stand still while I knock that chip off of your shoulder!

There, doesn't that feel better?

I guess one finds what one is looking for!

I've never seen a less elitist group. A wide range of levels of participation - yes. But because someone has in interest in something and excels at it, that does not mean they are "elitist."

Good luck, Will.
Old 04-20-06, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excited

It makes me excited just reading about a ride like this. Good Luck, Have Fun, Go Fast! And I love just being a participant.
Old 04-20-06, 11:21 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

I've never seen a less elitist group. A wide range of levels of participation - yes. But because someone has in interest in something and excels at it, that does not mean they are "elitist."

Good luck, Will.

Still haven't said it but Will-- Good luck. You set yourself a goal a while back to do this ride, and you are there. All I want to here now is the reports of you during the ride so keep us posted.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-20-06, 02:06 PM
Banned.

The stated purpose of the 50+ Forum is:

Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
Old 04-20-06, 03:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Denver:
IMHO you work very hard on improving this 50+ Forum. I do not know if this has been stated often enough but I noticed it since I joined this BF.
If you wish, I will make a contribution to your Rogue Gallery upon return from this tour. I even broke down and got a Digital Camera for it.
Old 04-20-06, 03:12 PM
Banned.

Denver:
IMHO you work very hard on improving this 50+ Forum. I do not know if this has been stated often enough but I noticed it since I joined this BF.
If you wish, I will make a contribution to your Rogue Gallery upon return from this tour. I even broke down and got a Digital Camera for it.
Thanks.

We would love to have your mug shot in the 50+ gallery.
Old 04-20-06, 03:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget the mug shot..........we want a photo of your wife's fruit cake. We dig food around here.
Old 04-20-06, 04:41 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find surprising the angst so often expressed on the BF, including this list, about the "required" pain and strain (and equipment purchases) necessary to attain some arbitrary goal; a goal often set by self appointed experts to achieve the exalted state/"image" of "Serious" cyclist.
If the self-appointed expert is establishing a goal to achieve an exalted state of their own description and applying it only to his or herself, why would the opinion of a lurking, obstreperous and truculent poster matter?
Old 04-20-06, 05:09 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Will,

Best of luck and I hope that this bike trip is AT LEAST everything that you have imagined and have worked so hard for.
Old 04-20-06, 05:11 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I have a pleasant surprise today. This Fast bike across America supported tour is starting Monday, April 23, 2006. There are 37 participants (at least 8 women)!
Average 119 miles/day for 27 days, two day rest, 87,000 ft elevation change, total miles about 2,900.
That is a lot more Bikers than expected and more than in the past.
Please observe that such a trip requires a very substantial investment in time and money. Interesting that so many have the resources and willingness to do this. You also better hope nothing goes wrong (like get sick last minute).
Training for it is also very time consuming (not much time for posting here).

I am very thankful for all the help I got on 50+ but in fairness, "Training and Nutrition" was very helpful and "Touring" actually got me started on BF.
So thanks again and see you end of May. I need to do some last minute training for the next two days and then I am off to CA. I will have this Lap Top with me.

So if anyone worries about the future of Biking, it is getting more popular. My LBS seems to benefit also, there is now a waiting time to get things done.

https://www.bamacyclist.com/Journal20...6fastsouth.htm
I'm jealous! I have 3 weeks of semester lefT!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-20-06, 05:18 PM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will..... I'm turning 40 this year. Go dog Go!!!!!
Wooohooooo for Will.....awesome!!!!!

Looking forward to the reports, dang I wish I was riding something like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.