Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-18-06, 07:12 PM   #1
stercomm
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
What's Your Position

I was out for a ride last week and was waiting to turn down a small country lane that runs along one of the local rivers; a very nice 2 mile stretch with little traffic. As I was approaching the turn from one direction to make a left turn onto the lane, 2 guys probably in their mide-thirties were approaching from the other direction with an SUV trailing close behind them. They made the turn and so did the SUV, I followed suit behind the SUV. These two guys once on this very narrow road stayed riding 2 abreast and given the windy nature of the road forced the SUV to trail them for about a quarter of a mile before he could swing onto the opposite shoulder and get by them. The guy in the SUV was not very happy. It would have taken these guys all of 15 seconds to ride single file, let the SUV by and go back to riding 2 abreast. My goal when riding is to get along as much as possible with the traffic around me, I still after 20 years of riding don't understand the mindset these guys have. Would love to read your comments on road etiquette. I certainly endured my share of jerks in cars over the years but still don't understand this approach to riding on public highways
stercomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-06, 07:52 PM   #2
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
When riding with another or others, it is our habit to yell "car back". This warns everyone to be alert and to move into a single file. Seems a common courtesy, esp. if I hope for that courtesy to be retnd.. One always hopes that what goes around-comes around.
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-06, 08:13 PM   #3
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
The cyclists were jackasses--the kind that give all cyclists a bad name and instill road rage.
Old 04-18-06, 08:23 PM   #4
Louis

Bikes:
I concur.
Common sense alone should have said 'let the SUV get past'... for their own saftey even if they didn't have enough class to extend a courtesy or obey the law.

Ohio drivers are already mean enough, why piss 'em off even more?
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-06, 10:14 PM   #5
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Bikes:
Yes, common courtesy dictates that the riders make an effort to get along with traffic. But, cyclists also have to, while being mindful of the greater mass and pig-headedness of many drivers, be somewhat assertive about laying some claim to the road. If we have to swing out onto the road to avoid water, glass, etc., or sit in the middle of a left hand turn lane, or take a safe time getting into pedals, or whatever, then we need to (with sensible caution) assert that. We are gazelles laying claim to roads we own equally with elephants. Tactfully, alertly, assertively, thoughtfully goes it.
Old 04-18-06, 11:37 PM   #6
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
I say they were jerks. Gives us all a black eye when cyclists are rude. They have a right to the road too, yes, but not to the exclusion of everyone else.

Steve
cheeseflavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 12:57 AM   #7
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
2 abreast seems to be the norm with road riders here in the UK. They are allowed by law so that is what they do- no matter how narrow the road or how many cars are behind them. I ride a Mountain bike and have a different theory. Cars are bigger than me and I try to get them past as soon as posssible. On our part of the rides that take in road- we ride in single file when cars are around. Double if the road is clear and we want to be sociable. There is a problem though as Cars are so quiet nowadays and they creep up on you. Creep is the wrong word but they are suddenly behind you. We do get out of their way and single file ASAP, but there is always the impatient driver that will overtake without ensuring it is safe to do so.

Self preservation is the name of the game and If that means actually stopping in a wide part of the road to let them pass, then that is what I do. To have ignorant- foolhardy bikers putting themselves at risk, does not help with the attitude of drivers towards ALL cyclists.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 02:41 AM   #8
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck
When riding with another or others, it is our habit to yell "car back". This warns everyone to be alert and to move into a single file. Seems a common courtesy, esp. if I hope for that courtesy to be retnd.. One always hopes that what goes around-comes around.
Bingo. We have few problems when riding in a group. When I'm the ride leader, I review this subject with the group before we start. All must agree. Safety, courtesy and effective advocacy demand it.
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 09:34 AM   #9
howsteepisit

Bikes: Mecian
I think that rude is rude, whether on the road, on a bike, in a plane or in a train. I would not act like this, and I cerainly think noone else should either. We ride mostly single file unless there is no chance of traffic. I kind of perfer single file to catch a draft anyway. But then again sometimes it is nice to have a bit of a chat too.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 09:40 AM   #10
Velo Dog

Bikes:
That kind of behavior is a big, and growing, problem around here. One of our two local clubs, particularly--the "serious" one as opposed to the "recreational" one--is notorious for riding in packs of 15-20 riders and blocking two-lane country roads. Their defense (printed in the newspaper every year about this time when drivers' complaints start coming in) is that they're Serious Cyclists and the rest of the world doesn't give them the proper respect. I've been riding for more than 30 years as an adult, all over the western U.S., and I've never seen anything like it.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 09:53 AM   #11
cyclintom

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry
The cyclists were jackasses--the kind that give all cyclists a bad name and instill road rage.
Probably so but then I prefer not to jump to conclusions. If the side road wasn't wide enough for the SUV to pass safely it is often a good idea to take the entire lane to keep dangerous passing from occurring.

Also it might not be safe to ride on the edge of the road if there are potholes or cracks to dodge, insufficient shoulder or some such.

Last night I was riding into Cull Canyon when a car approached from behind. I was on a narrow and winding section of road and as soon as I could see around the next corner I would have pulled over and signaled the car it was safe to pass. Instead the jackass passed on a blind turn. He was one mile from his house and was willing to kill himself and someone else to get there only 5 seconds faster!

We have no idea of stercomm's level of experience and his ideas about the transcendence of motorized vehicles on the road.

My policy is to allow cars to pass whenever it's safe to do so and to NOT let them pass when it might end up with them pulling back into my lane and possibly me if they try to pass unsafely.
cyclintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 10:08 AM   #12
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: are awesome.
It's not only rude and arrogant, it is illegal (at least in my state). If we are going to tout the mantra of "Same Road, Same Rules, Same Rights," we better be prepared to abide by the 'same rules' part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 06:29 PM   #13
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam

Self preservation is the name of the game and If that means actually stopping in a wide part of the road to let them pass, then that is what I do. To have ignorant- foolhardy bikers putting themselves at risk, does not help with the attitude of drivers towards ALL cyclists.

Stapfam, you hit the nail on the head. They are not rude, arrogrant, or any other such thing. They are too stupid to live, and if they ever run into someone who is a stupid as they, they'll quickly discover that legal rights, respect, and the like does nothing to stop the brute force of a motor vehicle running across their broken bodies and smashed cycles. But, of course it won't happen to them, because they are protected by some mysterious chic shield that seems to shroud the truly lame. These kind of riders make me glad I don't have a rocket launcher on my bike, or car for that matter.
Old 04-19-06, 09:37 PM   #14
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
I see this type of behavior in Central NC all the time. It's particularly bad on weekends when packs of cyclists ride 2 or 3 wide and deep. I never thought of cyclists as road hogs, but that's exaclty how we are seen by motorists when we block them. Unfortunately, I don't know that there is anything that I or anyone else can do about it.
Old 04-20-06, 03:37 PM   #15
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Such behavior may turn those "Serious Cyclers" into Serious Hood Ornaments some day.
Monoborracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 04:06 PM   #16
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
How do you feel when following a car in the left lane (high speed lane) when they are traveling 5 - 10 miles per hour under the limit? For me its frustrating. I think the cyclists, like far too many people today were insensitive, self centered, inconsiderate and are also probably equally ill-mannered when not in the saddle.
Old 04-20-06, 07:34 PM   #17
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
This is one reason I dislike large group rides. I am always single-file when riding solo.
___
"When approaching a service window where there are no other customers waiting, an Englishman forms an orderly queue of one."
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 09:18 AM   #18
rfctx

Bikes: Motobecane, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, LeMond, Merlin Cyrene
Does not do the rest of us any good!
rfctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 03:00 PM   #19
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Went to my LBS today to find one of the owners limping. He got hit by a car a couple of days ago. He was out on a training ride, on his own on the back lanes. They are ideal for training- very quiet and a lot of short sharp hills. Only thing is they are a bit narrow and twisty. The car waited behind him along some twisty turns- until the last one. When he did overtake, a car came the other way, and car driver panicked and rather than accelerate or brake- Just pulled into the rider. No severe damage- but the car does have a big dent in it. Bike undamaged and the limp is only a bruised thigh from hitting the car. As the rider said- If he had kept away from the kerb- there would have been no-way the car could have passed.

Take your pick- self preservation or ride sensibly?

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-06, 09:15 PM   #20
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
I am not in this situaiton often, but when I am I slow down and let them pass if I am holding them up for more than 15 seconds.
cruzMOKS is offline   Reply With Quote