Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I needed a fix and BF was there...

I'm currently stranded in a hotel room 300 miles away from any of my bikes. This business trip is killing me, but only two more days of 8:30 to 5:30 meetings (back to back to back) with people who seem to have no idea that it was 80 degrees outside today. Then I had a 40 minute drive back to the hotel room, because the hotels downtown were all booked, except the ones my company won't pay for. By the time I got into my room, I thought I would explode from lack of a cycling fix. Then I remembered.... AHHHHH BF. I logged on, and I'm feeling much better already. Folks, thank you sooooooo much!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya might want to consider a folding bike. I've got a Bike Friday that fits into a regulation suitcase and travels by air as regular luggage. And you don't feel like you're riding a toy. These babies tour all over the world.

Jim Langely, a widely travelled cycling writer/editor who has ridden every day for more than 10 years, always travels with his folding bike. In bad weather, he sets it up in a trainer in his hotel room. How he manages to lug around the trainer I have no idea.

The world of folding bikes is actually pretty varied and the various brands each has a following of cheerleaders. For my part, I'm very happy with my Bike Friday. More info here: www.bikefriday.com
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOS-I had a little taste of how you were feeling earlier this week. I had been in DC for 4 days and got back late last night. I saw a number of cyclists in the DC/Va riding in clear blue skies and temps in the 70's. I was having a really bad case of the heebie geebies not being able to ride.

I worked back in the office in NC today and was able to join our Tuesday/Thursday group this evening and had a really, really terrific ride. Your time will come shortly as well!!

BTW, a fellow I met last month does a lot of traveling and also had the folding bike. He took an old steel frame and had someone in CA weld the "joints" on it. He takes it with him everywhere.

Changing subjects...I think you had asked about Compact Cranks-if not just ignore. Anyway, I picked up Miss Lightweight from the LBS today with the new 50/34 Compact Crank and rode it tonight for 34 miles. That's not enough to give much of a report but just a couple observations so far. The shifting of the Shimano is very good-I just don't think there will be issues with dropped chains. It does not look as nice as the FSA that I bought but I think the performance will greatly outweigh the looks. The chain rings are a dull gray look which doesn't do much for me-but it spins nicely!!

I rode a lot more in the big chain ring or "50" tonight than normal. I normally have been riding a 52/42/30 and a 53/39 so maybe that's why. I'm running a 12/27 rear cassette and was "spinning out" around 30 mph on the 50/12. If I had been pulling a group down a hill in the past I could accelerate a little and move on up to 35+. I think gravity is going to do most of that with the Compact. I'm setting the bike up to do more climbing than rolling hills so I'm not concerned about the 50 chain ring being too small at this point.

I plan to go up to the mountains this weekend and should be spending a lot more time in the 34 so will provide some more feedback on that if it doesn't rain me out.

Does all this help your fix a little bit!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, should we rag you about falling out of fitness sitting on your butt in a classroom?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    I'm currently stranded in a hotel room 300 miles away from any of my bikes.
    Are you seriously telling us that you FLEW to your business meetings rather than rode your bike there? Where's your commitment level? I thought you loved cycling! You could have ridden three back to back centuries and been there, and had your bike to enjoy between and after meetings as well.

I'm shocked!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the comments... even the mild digs. I got back home late Friday evening and went to my LBS to pick up my ride (I decided to have the compact crank installed while I was away). Get to the LBS and they tell me they ordered the wrong crank (Octalink instead of ISIS). So, they say, it will be another four days before my bike is ready. I tell them when my car dealer does this, they always give me a loner. Long story short, on Saturday I'm riding along on a 5.2 Madone that they gave me as a loner! Man, this bike is scary fast. My wife says I have to turn over all my credit cards for the next few days so that I don't end up buying this thing. I think she has a good point. While I don't think I would want to ride the Madone everyday.... it would be sweet to ride a few times a week! I've got the bike for 2 more days and have already put almost 100 miles on it. Do you think my bike will be jealous and know of my short affair?
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Madone 5.2 and I think you need one as well!! I really like it on rides with rollers, flats, etc. I'm plan to put my Dura Ace 53/39 on it eventually and look forward to how that will spin.

Which Compact did you select? I have the new Shimano R700 and it shifts superbly. I'm finding I'm staying in the 50 a lot more than when I was in the big chain ring before-at least for the rides around my house. I also have a new still in the plastic FSA SLK Megaexo 50/34 and am trying to figure out what to do with it. Hey, maybe I'll get another bike so I can put it on it????

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe: I got an FSA; not sure which model it is. All I know is that the spider arms are a solid piece instead of the laminated ones I see on e-bay. At $150, which includes installation, I'm not being too picky. I'd seriously consider the Madone, but my youngest starts college this fall. So, I'll likely be riding the Specialized Roubaix for a few more miles. (I like this bike a lot. It's just not the speed demon the Madone is.)
    Last edited by NOS88; 04-24-06 at 08:05 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    jppe: I got an FSA; not sure which model it is. All I know is that the spider arms are a solid piece instead of the laminated ones I see on e-bay. At $150, which includes installation, I'm not being too picky. I'd seriously consider the Madone, but my youngest starts college this fall. So, I'll likely be riding the Specialized Roubaix for a few more miles. (I actully like this bike a lot. It's just not the speed demon the Madone is.)
    College tuitions are no excuse!! I currently have 3 college tuitions going at one time and added two more bikes to the stable just this year!

Seriously I completely understand. I keep telling myself that when I can get out from under these tuitions I'm going to seriously look at the bike of my dreams. I've been going the used bike route which as enabled me to add the bikes without as much of the bite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phone book, bicycle shop, bike rental?

Meetings kill me.

Jeff, the fat biker