Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally a bit of riding!

The last couple of months have been tough for bicycling.

My wife's continuing battle with the severe pain, aggravated during the day until night is worst, of post herpatic neuralgia (from shingles) since September, and her need for continuous and constant physical and psychological support from me, the terrible winds we have had almost continuously, and some other stuff have defeated my efforts at getting in better shape and enjoying my riding.

Our trip to California was significant in that she learned that she could travel - she was beginning to believe that the pain would keep her from such endeavors.

Also, as we took our bikes, we were able to get in some short 15 mile rides along the beach in CA.

Yesterday, we had to go to the doc once again, and I rode back. A short ride - 12.5 miles - but a really tough ride with hills, winding trails, etc., and I was on my heavy mtn bike. So that 12.5 miles seemed like 25.

Today was gorgeous, so I rode with her to where she gets her hair cut, then I rode while she got her haircut. Then we rode to a picnic afterwards, and then I rode alone while she rested, and then we returned home. So I got about 25 miles in while she did 12.

Not a lot, but I do feel some release of frustration.

Have a good day and evening, all!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox,
    I am touched by your devotion to your wife and her needs. Good job combining your love for her with your love for cycling!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School
    DnvrFox,
    I am touched by your devotion to your wife and her needs. Good job combining your love for her with your love for cycling!
    We have been married 42 years now. Some of those times have been pretty darn tough. We have always supported each other. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-21-06 at 06:01 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most inspiring lessons in getting older is seeing again and again that the human body, mind and--most importantly--spirit never lose their capacity for renewal. As your post shows. Wishing you and your wife many more wonderful experiences together.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Dnvr! I can relate to the release of frustration. You know from reading my posts that I haven't been biking all that long (a couple of years), but I can certainly feel it when I don't get a good, hard ride for even a couple of days.

Also, as some also said, but you really deserve a big pat on the back for your devotion to your wife. You're an inspiration to all of us!

Take care,

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you were able to get out and ride today. It certainly was a beautiful day.
    It's good to hear that your wife's medical condition hasn't stopped her from travelling or biking.

Nick

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems there are things more significant that cycling. Your devotion to your wife is obviously supported by your cycling--both in terms of your physical health and dealing with the stress of caring for and about others. What's lovely is....that she seems equally supportive of you even with the daily difficulties she currently has. You both seem to have an active life together despite all. What's inspiring even beyond what you do for her is what you each do for the other. There are marriages and then there are marriages.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't add much to what's been said except to agree with ALL the previous posters. You go, DnvrFox!!! Ride on!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shingles is the forgotten disease as far as medical treatment is concerned. While many folks have a light case, if you have a severe case, it is absolutely crippling. I think it is dismissed by the medical research world as primarily a disease of the old, and "who really cares?"

Thanks for all the nice comments. It was not my intent to "fish" for support, but to express my pleasure in really getting to ride a real ride!

Today is supposed to be 74 with light winds. Perhaps we can get out again.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too will be out riding today. I'll keep your wife and you in my thoughts. Hope you do get out for a ride and keep your spirits up!

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver,

Happy to hear that you have been able to get in some miles, especially with your wife. I pray for her total recovery. Having to support the wifes special needs with cronic illness can be draining as well as guilt provoking. My wife has bipolar disorder and post tramatic stress syndrome, and some days she needs quite a lot of support. Those days I do not ride, and some days it feels like abandonment if I do ride. But I would not trade her in for anything. Ride when you can.

And, it looks like spring may have reached the Rocky Mountains, I had my best ride of the year, in warm and windless conditions. 60 km of blissful riding in Montana!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver,

Isn't spring in the Rockies great? Like for you, the last couple weeks have not been great cycling weather on this side of the mountains. However, today (Friday) is perfect. I think I'll play hookie and load up old blue (our tandem) and try and get lost somewhere up in the mountains. We're also expecting a pretty great week-end and usually the Denver area receives our weather a day or two later, so we'll send it your way.

I can sympathise with your wife. I had a fairly small shingles outbreak some years ago. It's not fun at all, a big one must be real tough, and there's not much that can be done about it. Let her know that our little community wishes her well.

Next week my bride and I will celebrate number 38--It's hard to believe. Boy, does time fly...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a hearty "eXtra Years of Zest" breakfast with about 25 folks, we went riding again. I did 20 miles, wife 7.

Gorgeous weather.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    After a hearty "eXtra Years of Zest" breakfast with about 25 folks, we went riding again. I did 20 miles, wife 7.

Gorgeous weather.
    Glad you had a good ride. I did think of you when I was riding. It was nice day up here too.
    Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 04-21-06 at 06:06 PM.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some guy who used to ride professionally once suggested that life is not entirely about the bike. It is good to be reminded of the gentle humanity that I for one, sometimes overlook when romping through these forums. Thank you for the reminder that posters in these forums are also people; often really nice people.
    Just Peddlin' Around

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got another great ride in today.

We went to an area called Lee Gulch which is a gravel mtn bike trail. Nora did 7.5 miles, and I rode back, getting about 22 miles in all together.

Nora is discouraged that she can't manage more than 7.5 miles right now.

Heck, she is on a whole variety of drugs for the post herpetic neuralgia pain and to assist in nerve recovery. Additionally, it won't be too long before we are looking at a knee replacement.

I tell her - how many 68yo's do you know who can ride a bike up and down a gravel trail for 7.5 miles?

But, she still sees that she does less than before the shingles.