Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-20-06, 06:42 PM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Finally a bit of riding!

The last couple of months have been tough for bicycling.

My wife's continuing battle with the severe pain, aggravated during the day until night is worst, of post herpatic neuralgia (from shingles) since September, and her need for continuous and constant physical and psychological support from me, the terrible winds we have had almost continuously, and some other stuff have defeated my efforts at getting in better shape and enjoying my riding.

Our trip to California was significant in that she learned that she could travel - she was beginning to believe that the pain would keep her from such endeavors.

Also, as we took our bikes, we were able to get in some short 15 mile rides along the beach in CA.

Yesterday, we had to go to the doc once again, and I rode back. A short ride - 12.5 miles - but a really tough ride with hills, winding trails, etc., and I was on my heavy mtn bike. So that 12.5 miles seemed like 25.

Today was gorgeous, so I rode with her to where she gets her hair cut, then I rode while she got her haircut. Then we rode to a picnic afterwards, and then I rode alone while she rested, and then we returned home. So I got about 25 miles in while she did 12.

Not a lot, but I do feel some release of frustration.

Have a good day and evening, all!
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 06:47 PM   #2
Old School

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9
DnvrFox,
I am touched by your devotion to your wife and her needs. Good job combining your love for her with your love for cycling!
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 07:00 PM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
DnvrFox,
I am touched by your devotion to your wife and her needs. Good job combining your love for her with your love for cycling!
We have been married 42 years now. Some of those times have been pretty darn tough. We have always supported each other. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-21-06 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-20-06, 07:07 PM   #4
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
One of the most inspiring lessons in getting older is seeing again and again that the human body, mind and--most importantly--spirit never lose their capacity for renewal. As your post shows. Wishing you and your wife many more wonderful experiences together.
Old 04-20-06, 07:15 PM   #5
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
Congrats Dnvr! I can relate to the release of frustration. You know from reading my posts that I haven't been biking all that long (a couple of years), but I can certainly feel it when I don't get a good, hard ride for even a couple of days.

Also, as some also said, but you really deserve a big pat on the back for your devotion to your wife. You're an inspiration to all of us!

Take care,

Steve
cheeseflavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 10:48 PM   #6
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem
I'm glad you were able to get out and ride today. It certainly was a beautiful day.
It's good to hear that your wife's medical condition hasn't stopped her from travelling or biking.

Nick
nmichell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 11:32 PM   #7
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Bikes:
It seems there are things more significant that cycling. Your devotion to your wife is obviously supported by your cycling--both in terms of your physical health and dealing with the stress of caring for and about others. What's lovely is....that she seems equally supportive of you even with the daily difficulties she currently has. You both seem to have an active life together despite all. What's inspiring even beyond what you do for her is what you each do for the other. There are marriages and then there are marriages.
Old 04-20-06, 11:35 PM   #8
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
I can't add much to what's been said except to agree with ALL the previous posters. You go, DnvrFox!!! Ride on!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 06:00 AM   #9
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Shingles is the forgotten disease as far as medical treatment is concerned. While many folks have a light case, if you have a severe case, it is absolutely crippling. I think it is dismissed by the medical research world as primarily a disease of the old, and "who really cares?"

Thanks for all the nice comments. It was not my intent to "fish" for support, but to express my pleasure in really getting to ride a real ride!

Today is supposed to be 74 with light winds. Perhaps we can get out again.
Old 04-21-06, 07:22 AM   #10
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
I too will be out riding today. I'll keep your wife and you in my thoughts. Hope you do get out for a ride and keep your spirits up!
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 07:39 AM   #11
howsteepisit

Bikes: Mecian
Denver,

Happy to hear that you have been able to get in some miles, especially with your wife. I pray for her total recovery. Having to support the wifes special needs with cronic illness can be draining as well as guilt provoking. My wife has bipolar disorder and post tramatic stress syndrome, and some days she needs quite a lot of support. Those days I do not ride, and some days it feels like abandonment if I do ride. But I would not trade her in for anything. Ride when you can.

And, it looks like spring may have reached the Rocky Mountains, I had my best ride of the year, in warm and windless conditions. 60 km of blissful riding in Montana!
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 09:10 AM   #12
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
Denver,

Isn't spring in the Rockies great? Like for you, the last couple weeks have not been great cycling weather on this side of the mountains. However, today (Friday) is perfect. I think I'll play hookie and load up old blue (our tandem) and try and get lost somewhere up in the mountains. We're also expecting a pretty great week-end and usually the Denver area receives our weather a day or two later, so we'll send it your way.

I can sympathise with your wife. I had a fairly small shingles outbreak some years ago. It's not fun at all, a big one must be real tough, and there's not much that can be done about it. Let her know that our little community wishes her well.

Next week my bride and I will celebrate number 38--It's hard to believe. Boy, does time fly...
Old Hammer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 02:18 PM   #13
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
After a hearty "eXtra Years of Zest" breakfast with about 25 folks, we went riding again. I did 20 miles, wife 7.

Gorgeous weather.
Old 04-21-06, 03:00 PM   #14
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
After a hearty "eXtra Years of Zest" breakfast with about 25 folks, we went riding again. I did 20 miles, wife 7.

Gorgeous weather.
Glad you had a good ride. I did think of you when I was riding. It was nice day up here too.

Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 04-21-06 at 06:06 PM.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 03:26 PM   #15
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
Some guy who used to ride professionally once suggested that life is not entirely about the bike. It is good to be reminded of the gentle humanity that I for one, sometimes overlook when romping through these forums. Thank you for the reminder that posters in these forums are also people; often really nice people.
Old 04-22-06, 06:11 PM   #16
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Got another great ride in today.

We went to an area called Lee Gulch which is a gravel mtn bike trail. Nora did 7.5 miles, and I rode back, getting about 22 miles in all together.

Nora is discouraged that she can't manage more than 7.5 miles right now.

Heck, she is on a whole variety of drugs for the post herpetic neuralgia pain and to assist in nerve recovery. Additionally, it won't be too long before we are looking at a knee replacement.

I tell her - how many 68yo's do you know who can ride a bike up and down a gravel trail for 7.5 miles?

But, she still sees that she does less than before the shingles.