Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just got to say this.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just got to say this.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 12:47 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just got to say this.

It only comes round once a year, but I have to let people remember once in a while one of the "Cult" films of our era, so "Happy Star Wars day".

My only real association with the date is that in 99 it was the start of the big change in my life. 7 years later and I am still here- still riding- still getting grumpy. May the 4th 1999 was the day of the start of my heart problem that made me realise there is more to life than work. Unfortunately still not enough riding and still working.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-04-06, 03:32 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
stapfam,

May the force be with you! And continue to be! Pedal on brother.

Bob

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-04-06, 07:21 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Just got back from a two day trip to Kansas and Denver. I don't travel much anymore. Some years back I quit a big corporate job because I simply got tired of flying first class and eating in fancy restaurants and talking business from 7 AM breakfast till after dinner. Iused to come home and the first thing to check were the clean suits and shirts for the next trip. I think I missed a lot of my two oldest boys growing up, but I didn't want to miss the two younger ones (now in HS). Anyway I finally gave it up for a simpler life (so far) that has worked out ok.

My point is that on Tuesday's return flight I was sitting next to younger guy, probably late 30ish, who was geared up on the cell phone from the minute we got on the plane till the pilot made him shut it off, then started up again as soon as he could when we landed. He probably did 20 calls, scheduling the next days trip, the next week trip...Orlando...Chicago...Boston....KCity...etc. Finally he got quiet and for the first time in two hours asked me if I was lived in Dallas. I told him I had a 90 mile drive home, which would only take 90 minutes. So he told me what a bummer that must be and then finally allowed that it took him an hour to get home from the airport, and he had to go by the office first (6PM in the evening) and the cleaners to get his suits for the next trip. He asked me if I traveld much and I said I used to, but I gave it up. He went on and on asking about me and finally figured out what I was talking about. Before it was over he was almost in tears of despair because he hates the travel and doesn't see his kids awake during the week, etc. I'm sure you know how sometimes a total stranger will open up to someone he will never see again, and that's what he did.

So I left him with a few thoughts that are applicable for this thread, and they are thoughts I try to live by.

WE ONLY PASS THIS WAY ONCE. THIS IS NOT A REHEARSAL, AND YOU NEVER MAKE UP TIME THAT IS LOST FROM YOUR FAMILY. IT CAN'T BE MADE UP.

Just thought I would share this with you guys.

"......and then the wheels came off"
Old 05-04-06, 08:20 AM

Bikes: Cannondales's

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retired

Wow!!! I agree with you a hundred and ten percent. I retired five years early and lived on my savings until I could officially retire. I worked in government and got tired of all the BS that goes with politics. I use to get up everyday dreading to go to work. Since quitting I started back bicyling and I do bicycle tours instead of working. I feel wonderful now and each day is adventure and I can do what I want to do now not what someone esle wants except for my wife.

Old 05-04-06, 08:29 AM
Studs Terkel

Bikes: Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire; Merckx San Remo 76.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
WE ONLY PASS THIS WAY ONCE. THIS IS NOT A REHEARSAL, AND YOU NEVER MAKE UP TIME THAT IS LOST FROM YOUR FAMILY. IT CAN'T BE MADE UP.

On your deathbed you're not going to wish you spent more time at work.