Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road 40 Miles

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road 40 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road 40 Miles

Six months ago I was just doing a few laps around the block, but for the past several months have been increasing the length of my rides - typically 20 to 30 miles. Tried to push myself today, and I did, this was the longest I ever rode. I ride solo and my wife thinks I am trying to get run over, so I had to at least tell someone who rides.
Old 05-06-06, 10:25 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's fantastic! Sounds like we're pretty close in fitness and distance and experience. I'm doing the same as you, trying to increase the long rides. Today mine was 35 miles, and I was pooped, but the good news is that a few hours later, I'm feeling NO ill effects.

Glad you came here to report. Always fun to hear what others are doing!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-06-06, 11:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fan-freakin'-tastic! And congratulations... forty miles is a serious workout. Keep riding and keep posting.
Old 05-07-06, 05:53 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job! Every time you push yourself like that your dailey rides don't seem so long and you lenghten those too.
Old 05-07-06, 06:04 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- keep up the good work! it took me a year to work up to longer rides, so you're doing great!
Old 05-07-06, 06:13 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Anybody with "fox" in their screen name has to be a good troop.

Congratulations.
Old 05-07-06, 06:21 AM
Guinness Taste Tester

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR2 sport, 1990 Diamondback Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job!! I'm about the same 30 to 40 miles twice a week. Did 25 miles yesterday with my girl, my daughter and my daughters boyfriend. He's 26 and I, at my almost 51 years, paced him pretty well. That is until the wind pushed me backwards nearing the end of the ride!!!! Congratulations, glad to see we can still keep up with the younger crowd.
Old 05-07-06, 06:41 AM
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foxden - 40 miles is a great accomplishment and a big league ride. Your time and effort are paying off. You will be amazed at how easy and fast a 20-25 mile ride will start to seem. One thing I've noticed with rides over 40 miles is that at least for me a solid strecthing routine is imperative after the ride. Great to hear about your success, plus it is a lot of fun and good for you.
Old 05-07-06, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Cannondales's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Mileage

Originally Posted by foxden
Six months ago I was just doing a few laps around the block, but for the past several months have been increasing the length of my rides - typically 20 to 30 miles. Tried to push myself today, and I did, this was the longest I ever rode. I ride solo and my wife thinks I am trying to get run over, so I had to at least tell someone who rides.
I started back riding my bike about two years ago at the age of 62. I was in very bad shape and could hardly pedal around the block. I bought a brand new Cannondale full suspension Jekyll mountain bicycle and within four months I put 1200 miles on it. Most of this was road mileage and full supension mountain bike just don't get it using it on the roads. I then bought a Cannondale R2000 road bike with the intentions of just riding it around home on the roads. I found out that I really like that road bike and starting doing a lot of touring on it. The first year I owned it I rode total of 6000 miles on it and rode in 15 states. I did another 1500 miles on my other two bikes.

I had went from hardly being able to pedal a mile without tiring out too riding 60 mile to 80 miles days easily. I did a number of 60/80 miles days nonstop and several of them I average 23 miles per hour but that was with ideal conditions. I also did a number 60/80 miles days and ony average 15 miles hours, these had a lot of hills and headwinds. I manage to do a number of century rides as well but that is pushing my limits.

I have a 1995 Cannondale Killer V800 mountaing bike that I completely rebuilted and made a tourer out of it. My intentions was to continue to do long distance touring on it this year. I did not quite finish the conversion on it when I fell of a ladder and severly fracture my left leg into forty pieces last December. Things didn't look so good as for as my future cycling goes. I was told that it may be at least a year maybe two before I recovered enough to be able to ride a bicycle again. I was nearly 64 when this happen and I though my cycling had come to a end.

It now been almost five months since my accident and in spite of the fact I didn't think I would be riding a bike this year I am now riding again. It been only two weeks since I started back put I have ridden a total of a 100 miles on my now finish converted Killer V road tourer. Funny thing I still can't walk very good or for very long, cycling is much easier than walking for me. I do fear falling and reinjuring my leg and I don't want to do that.

I not bragging and hope it is not taken that way. I simply saying the more you ride the better you get even it you are a older feller like me. I was told by someone more knowledgeable than me that it takes a year of intense cycling to get to the point that doing back to back long distance rides becomes a lot easier to do. It took me a year and half. I not sure if I will ever be able to ride like that again.
Old 05-07-06, 01:44 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is extremely impressive! To be able to work through pain and other people telling you "you can't for a year or two" really shows how much you have going for you. When you love something that much, you always find a way to get back into it.
Old 05-07-06, 03:22 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Sorry to be a wise-@$$, but if one can "road 40 miles," the next goal would be to "mountain 40 miles."

Anyway, congrats on a milestone most folks our age probably could not achieve without alot of training and major lifestyle adjustments.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-07-06, 05:20 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kudos!! Well done!!

RE: da wife--I have taken to riding in high vis shirts and jerseys just about all the time. I think it's a good idea and, it quiets her concerns. I make a point once or twice a month to comment how drivers seem to see me earlier than they used. I actually believe it's true.
Old 05-07-06, 07:09 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Sorry to be a wise-@$$, but if one can "road 40 miles," the next goal would be to "mountain 40 miles."

Anyway, congrats on a milestone most folks our age probably could not achieve without alot of training and major lifestyle adjustments.
OK, John.

I thought the guy ROWED 40 miles! (and rued it)

Road, rode, rowed -
Old 05-07-06, 08:29 PM

Bikes: Motobecane, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, LeMond, Merlin Cyrene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats great! Keep it up.
Old 05-07-06, 08:36 PM
Just shy of 400W

Bikes: Cannondale System 6, Klein Palomino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eye rhode fore tee myles bee fore two.

Kidding.. great job man! Keep it up. What was your pace? There are two aspects to biking... distance and speed, and they dont exactly coincide. Make sure you dont overdo things though. Honestly, I did the same thing running and ended up doing some serious damage to my feet. Make sure if you start to feel any pain when you increase your mileage, you stop. Gradual progression will keep you biking for a long time!

Anyway, great job!

Old 05-07-06, 08:50 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Around here that earns you a piece o Irma's pie! Well deserved.
Old 05-07-06, 09:18 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Terrific!! Sounds to me like you are hooked!
Old 05-08-06, 07:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have to admit, I am pretty embarassed by the typo. I'd give my kids hell for that spelling error. I saw it when I wrote it but couldn't edit the subject line. At least I got it right in the body of the post.
Old 05-08-06, 08:16 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have to admit, I am pretty embarassed by the typo. I'd give my kids hell for that spelling error. I saw it when I wrote it but couldn't edit the subject line. At least I got it right in the body of the post.
Don't worry about the typo. Since we old geezers can't ride fast or score with the chicks, we sit around correcting each other's grammar. It's a very exciting life. By the way, as a professional editor, I once wrote a headline about a "PUBLIC LIBRARY." Unfortunately, I left out the "L."
Old 05-08-06, 08:34 AM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Good work!

This bike riding stuff sure is fun, isn't it?
Old 05-08-06, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Relax. If this were a fourm on the English language there'd be a lot of us that would need to check our posts three or four times before hitting the submit button.

Great job on the 40 miles. IMHO it is an endless wonder where and how far two wheels can take you. You should be proud of your accomplishment.
Old 05-08-06, 10:13 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice work. I remember when I hit my first 40 miler. I thought that was pretty good. Seems it was about that point when I really started to feel alot more cardio benefit for the rest of the day. I now ride three 40 milers/weekdays and at least a 62 on the weekend.

Caution: Pay attention to your knees at this point. The longer workout type rides will show some of the finer points of bike fit and physical problems. I've had to change alot of things.
Old 05-08-06, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX LeMond Alpe d'Huez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foxden - Way to go! I just started last December and I know how good it feels.