Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The sign

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 07:37 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The sign

I don't recall who posted "the sign" a week or so ago. The sign is the signal Motorcyclists use to "say hello" to each other. It's simply pointing at the pavement as vehicles approach each other.

Even though I was in some agony yesterday, I still have enough wits and humor to think it would be fun to experiment initiating the sign to see the reaction of the the motorcyclists. It was a perfect day for riding and they were out in full force.

My less than scientific survey provided the following. Most just viewed me as being invisible and chose not to respond. Quite a few made a "head nod" gesture to at least acknowledge my existence. Noone actually provided the sign back to me. Maybe I wasn't doing it right???

Funny, but the one motorcyclists that did come closest to acknowledging me was where I was not really giving the sign. A 6 foot blacksnake had crawled across the road and had camped in the lane the motorcyclists was coming in and I had just passed it. I was pointing back towards the snake that was just a few yards ahead of the motorcyclist. Immediately after he passed me I heard his engine gunning, tire sliding and just a lot of noise.......I'm not sure who made out the best but my bet was on the motorcyclist.

Btw, I bet I saw 4-5 snakes on or along the road yesterday......most had been hit by traffic. Now that's a sign!!!
Old 05-14-06, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Btw, I bet I saw 4-5 snakes on or along the road yesterday......most had been hit by traffic. Now that's a sign!!!
Yeah, don't crawl across roadways...
Old 05-14-06, 10:34 AM
Perpetually lost

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually there's more to the sign--a salute actually-- than what was in the original post. Yes, many motorcyclists do acknowledge each other but there is a heirarchy involved that must be respected. Harley riders use the point at the road (PATR) sign. If you're not on a Harley (or possibly an Indian) and especially if you're on a sportbike, you're considered pretentious and quite often you probably won't get a wave in return. Harley riders tend to be an elitist group and the PATR is theirs and they tend to look down at those non-Harley riders who use it. A bicyclist might appear to fall into the "pretentious wannabe" category.

Many bikers use the "low five"--similar to athletes in sporting events--hand parallel to the ground, but lower than the waist, usually knee height. A low-5 will usually get a response from most every biker, even tho Harley riders will usually respond with the PATR wave.

Sport bike riders think they own the road and as a whole, don't respond to anyone. Some do, it isn't fair to stereotype them all--but as a whole don't expect anything in return. I usually low-5 them all--maybe they'll pick up the habit.

Then there are individuals who have their own salute. Best one I ever saw was a guy on a Gold Wing that raised his hand to his face, extended his fingers and struck a jester pose. I wonder how many times a day he did this.

I suggest that if anyone want to salutes that they do, but unless you own a Harley, do the low-5 as it's generic and universal. Most motorcyclists will be shocked but will assume that you're a motorcyclists too.

John in Oregon
Old 05-14-06, 01:39 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't get many Motorbikes up on the hills- thank Goodness but we do frequent a Biker Cafe. If we want a decent breakfast we have to, as this one is superb. It is just off of a local cycle/walker path so a lot of casual cyclists go there. Not talking many Harleys here, mainly the Modern japanese things but the odd occasional BSA,Matchless,Norton etc do turn up and they always get looks of admiration from everyone.

Back to signs- We ride the Tandem and these things are unusual in the UK. We do occasionally get motorbikes following us, and as they pass, we get a friendly wave. Don't recognise the riders in their helmets but some of the bikes are instantly recognisable as other customers at the biker cafe. One in particular we seem to meet on our way out to the hills and is a deep purple Yamaha. Couple of weeks ago he even flashed us out to cross a main road while he slowed down the traffic behind him. We'll have to buy him a coffee next time we see him.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-14-06, 04:05 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sorry to hear about all the snakes that got hit by cars. How are their bikes?
Old 05-14-06, 07:07 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Who said they were riding Treks? j/k
Old 05-14-06, 08:18 PM
paramount member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've given a sign to some motorists ...

but, I also ride a motorcycle and yeah it used to be cool to acknowledge with a sign, but now, every ahole in the world is out there and it becomes more of a chore.

If it feels good, do it.

edit...BTW, I would like to include myself in the "every ahole in the world category"

Last edited by skidmarx; 05-15-06 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
I hear snakes ride Specialized 'cuz they really dig the cool, red logo!