Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Apres Ride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apres Ride

How do you all feel after a 2+ hour ride, I've logged just over 2k km. so far this year and am still tired after the ride, feel like a nap, feel good after the nap but still don't have too much energy until the next day.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rvdv,

Most of my rides are around 2 hours. I've ticked off just over 1000 miles this year on the road and on the trainer. An hour here, two hours there, a few three hour rides now and then--- it's all better than the same amount of time in front of the TV. Enjoy your nap!
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power Naps = Good
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always like a nap, no matter what.

I have been bicycling about 20-25 miles per day last several days, and have been able to keep it up just fine.

But, yes, a nap is ALWAYS a delight!

one post at time
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdv
    How do you all feel after a 2+ hour ride, I've logged just over 2k km. so far this year and am still tired after the ride, feel like a nap, feel good after the nap but still don't have too much energy until the next day.
    I find it depends a lot on what I do immediately after I get home. If I hop straight in the shower, duck up to Subway for lunch and then decide to head off somewhere, I'm fine.

If I get home, sit down and 'relax' - even for a few minutes - I find it very hard to get going again and tend to be asleep before too long. My typical rides are 2-3 hours (50-80 klms). FWIW, I find if I just spin easily for the last 3 or 4 klms of a ride I feel a lot better in general afterwards - seems to serve well as a 'warm down'.

// kak

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just rode 3 days in a row of rides longer than average for me. 126 min. 99 min. 135 min.
    (991 miles in 2006) The third one tired me while the other 2 did not. So my remaining
    strength depends on the amount of work I have done on the bike the previous 2 days.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its kind of unpredictably mysterious. I can come back from a late afternoon, after work 20-25 miler and fall asleep if I sit in a chair........last weekend did a 60 miler and came back pleasantly drained but invigorated and ready for household chores, shopping, etc. This aging thing sometimes defies generalization or common sense. And I'm kinda glad of that. Hate to think my life is following a preset, unswerving formula.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, somehow the wiring in my body must have gotten some connections criss-crossed at the factory. After I did my little 6+ hour ride yesterday I tossed and turned in bed and couldn't go to sleep last night.

Maybe it's what I ate for supper......but then again it was my Mother-in-law's cooking which is first rate. Or maybe it was the second meal of fried rice and heavily seasoned chicken right before bed time that kept me awake. Or maybe it was keeping one eye open for my daughter driving in at 1 am. I weighed this morning and after eating 2 good sized meals after the ride I'd still lost 2 lbs.

Is it just me or do any of you require less sleep as you've "matured"????

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, somehow the wiring in my body must have gotten some connections criss-crossed at the factory. After I did my little 6+ hour ride yesterday I tossed and turned in bed and couldn't go to sleep last night.

Maybe it's what I ate for supper......but then again it was my Mother-in-law's cooking which is first rate. Or maybe it was the second meal of fried rice and heavily seasoned chicken right before bed time that kept me awake. Or maybe it was keeping one eye open for my daughter driving in at 1 am. I weighed this morning and after eating 2 good sized meals after the ride I'd still lost 2 lbs.

My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Like my father and my father's father, I've been a champion napper my entire life--and continue to be one. I can fall asleep on an airlplane before it takes off and not wake up for a couple of hours. During group bike rides, I can fall asleep under a tree at the lunch stop and pop up 30 minutes later raring to ride. I possess few remarkable talents. Sleeping seems to be one of them, thank God.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Like my father and my father's father, I've been a champion napper my entire life--and continue to be one. I can fall asleep on an airlplane before it takes off and not wake up for a couple of hours. During group bike rides, I can fall asleep under a tree at the lunch stop and pop up 30 minutes later raring to ride. I possess few remarkable talents. Sleeping seems to be one of them, thank God.
    We have something in common!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    +1

Great minds think alike...
    Now we need to hear from Gary Diego -- I bet he's a champion napper!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Diego
    Oh, you mean ME napping?
    No, buddy. You had it right with the previous post. At least it was a good start.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe

This "tossing and turning" all night is what happens to me when I have been over-training. Perhaps it is time to taper down before the Mt. Mitchell ride? Is your resting pulse rate a bit higher than normal as well?

And yes, I find that I need a lot less sleep now. When I was a teen I could sleep 10 hours straight, but now I can't stay asleep more than six or so hours unless I'm sick.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    Kona Unit single-speed Frankenbike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdv
    I soak in the tub while doing sudoku. Relaxes the muscles and puts me to sleep!

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Saturday I was up early and did a 45 mile ride before lunch. Had a good lunch, settled into my recliner with a baseball game and woke up in the 6th inning. That's fairly typical for a weekend ride.Two weeks ago I did a 70 mile Saturday ride and was home by 2 PM, but slept away a good part of the afternoon.

One weekdays I try to ride in the mornings or at lunch, 15 - 25 miles, and then I don't nap.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel great and after I change, I take the dog for a walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    On Saturday I was up early and did a 45 mile ride before lunch. Had a good lunch, settled into my recliner with a baseball game and woke up in the 6th inning. That's fairly typical for a weekend ride.Two weeks ago I did a 70 mile Saturday ride and was home by 2 PM, but slept away a good part of the afternoon.

One weekdays I try to ride in the mornings or at lunch, 15 - 25 miles, and then I don't nap.

Now thats living! A 70 mile ride, and then a long afternoon nap. I guess it just goes with age, I'm just a normal 50+er.

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I come home and keep moving, I'm fine. If I come home and clean up and sit down, I am hard to move for several hours. Of course, I am a recreational sleeper.

There is nothing I like more than coming home after a Sunday ride, getting a shower and a bite to eat, and settle in to watch a NASCAR race. I am asleep within five laps of ol' DW yelling "Boogity, boogity, boogity." (You citified folks just ask a country boy what I'm talking about.)
    Wag more, bark less

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's different for everyone. It changes as you get into better or worse shape. Last fall after a 120 mile ride I would take a shower and go out and do whatever I wanted. I generally felt better than if I did not ride.
    Now I can't do that I'm very tired after 75 miles, it's been raining and I have been sick, so I can't ride as much. By September I'll be back where I was last summer. Your body adapts to what you do. I'll be lighter too. If this is spring where you are and you have not been riding much, just keep riding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]