Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rode twice my age

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rode twice my age

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode twice my age

Today was an unusual weekday for me... no critical meetings in the schedule the whole day long. That doesn't happen very often. It was gray and overcast when I woke up, with a forecast of rain, but with no pressing need to be at work I heard my bike calling me. I've suspected for a while now that a century was something I could do, but somehow it hadn't happened yet. So on the spur of the moment I decided that today was the day.

It was a good ride... 102 miles solo. It rained for the last 35 miles or so, and I set the course up so that the big hills would be in the last 25 miles, to see how it'd feel. It felt fine. I ate before I got hungry, drank before I got thirsty, paced myself pretty well, and had a great time the whole way. I wasn't even all that hungry when I got home, though a hot bath after all that cold rain felt pretty darn good!

So now I've gotten the first century monkey off my back. I think 100 miles was more of a psychological barrier than anything else; in the end it was just a long bike ride. And I'm now over 3000 miles on the year (beginning my year last September 15, which is the day I started cycling).

Oh yeah, and the new Specialized Toupe saddle is definitely a keeper. No discomfort at all, either during the rider or after.
Old 05-16-06, 05:59 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Paulie

Doing centuries is about bike fit, having the time, and believing you can do it.

True--but you also need the level of fitness to pull it off. To most folks, anything longer than a spin around the block merits major kudos--or, more likely, the firm belief that you should be separated from society by high walls and a padded cell. Bravo to you both.
Old 05-16-06, 06:29 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go, Raket! That's a wonderful ride report.

I agree with the idea that 100 miles is mostly a psychological barrier, if one can do forty, fifty, or sixty, then one is probably fit enough to do 100. Of course, I haven't done it yet. I need to get through that psychological barrier! And I think I'll probably do it like you -- one day I'll just wake up and everything will be right, and I'll do it.

And BP -- 36 centuries in one season knocks my socks off. You're like the guy that broke the 4 minute mile. Until then, nobody could do it. After Bannister did it, the floodgates opened. After you rode your first Century, you were off to the races.

Wow!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-16-06, 09:15 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Raket-good to hear the saddle held up well with the longer ride. I'll definitely have to give it a look.

Congrats on the English Century. Those unplanned spontaneous rides sometimes can be the most memorable. I suspect you were still riding the wave of adrenaline from helping your 16 yr as well. Sounds like your overall bike setup is a keeper.
Old 05-16-06, 11:30 PM
Perpetually lost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, +1 to everything said above! Well done indeed!

JiO
Old 05-18-06, 01:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats.

I've always felt that any reasonaby fit rider could do a Century if they eat and drink properly and have a bike that fits well.

It just depends on how fast and how you feel during and after. I agree that it's mostly mental. At some point your neck, back, hands, butt, feet, etc is going to hurt. If you can ride through it you can do the Centruy. Usually the pain goes away or somehting else hurts to take your mind off your original pain!