Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is Masochism Part of the Deal? (rant)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I'm sure this has been covered in BF before, but after yesterday's ride I just had to post. It started out by my not being able to leave work at the usual time. I get home late and decide to take the Cannondale T800 because it's got fenders on it, and it's been raining all day. Head out and within ten miles run into wind gusting at between 30 & 40 MPH (at least that what the TV station reported during the evening news). Another seven miles and the rain starts coming down so hard that I can't see five yards in front of me. So, I slow down. That doesn't really help much, because next I get hit with a brief, but painful hail storm. OK, so now I'm thinking it's time to give it up and head back to the house via the shortest route possible. This route goes up a pretty good hill, but I figure fewer miles in this weather is worth the climb. Half way up the climb I flat on the rear tire. There's no place to get any shelter. So, I'm attempting to put the new tube in while sitting off the side of the road in pelting rain. The tires on this bike have always been difficult to get on without a tire lever. Of course I drop one of mine into a gushing stream of water and watch as it disappears down a drain grate. After about 10 minutes of swearing, and sore fingers and thumbs I get the tire seated again. One hundred and forty-six strokes of the pump later I'm ready to roll off again. As I attempt to mount, a large sedan goes by, hits the stream of raging water, and delivers about 9000 gallons of water... all in my face. I'm really pi$$ed at this point and stomp down on my pedal to click in. Of course I miss the pedal and scrape my shin creating a nice red flow of blood to mix with the water pouring off my legs... very vivid color that turns my cycling sock an interesting shade of pink. An hour and 20 minutes later I'm back home in dry clothes logging my 36 miles on my "ride calendar" and thinking, "Man, that was a great ride."
What... is... wrong... with me? Did my mother really raise a fool?
Old 05-17-06, 06:45 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hindsight always wears rose-colored glasses (no "hindsight" jokes, please, Mr. Mad Dog Diego!). Besides - if cycling is an addiction, it's certainly a healthier one than many others that come to mind (tobacco, alcohol, drugs, food, etc.). Besides, any ride that you get home from is a GOOD ride - some are just better than others!
Old 05-17-06, 07:09 AM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
The worst thing about rides like that is cleaning the bike afterward.
Old 05-17-06, 07:13 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So the answer is yes - that pain is the payment for the pleasure. And they're so closely entwined that it's sometimes hard to tell the difference.

Do you suppose I look back to that ride a month ago when 20 of us were standing under a tree in pouring rain for 30 minutes (waiting for one of the group up the hill to fix their tire and catch up) and think it wasn't a good ride? You know the sun DID come out for almost a half hour before we were soaked again on a climb into a 30 mph headwind.

Or about a mountain bike ride when I strung everyone else out and then while I was 3 minutes off the front on a bombing downhill the front wheel washed out and flung me at about 15 mph through the lava bed. Did you know that lava has edges like razors? Nevertheless I jumped back on the bike to retain my lead and was the first back to town. Then we went to the hot springs and Old Hamburger soaked in the hot springs with everyone else. Though they were moving as far away from me as possible.....
Old 05-17-06, 07:26 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Sometimes it's like getting beat with a baseball bat......it feels good when its over.
Old 05-17-06, 07:35 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you should have stayed home and watched Gilligan.
Old 05-17-06, 09:00 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
If you don't experience a ride like that, you just can't appreciate the 70 degree, clear skies and zero mechanical issue rides nearly as much........

It also points how how more susceptible tires are to flats in wetter conditions. Hey, at least you didn't get stuck in the drain trying to get your tire lever out.
Old 05-17-06, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
The worse the conditions are the better the recollections will be. Plus, think of the great sories for the grandkids. "After I walked the 5 milkes in the snow I got on my bike......"
Old 05-17-06, 09:54 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Who needs to watch television when you can read this forum!

You guys/gals post some of the most creative, funny, well-written stuff available today.

My kudos to you.
Old 05-17-06, 10:26 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Of course I drop one of mine into a gushing stream of water and watch as it disappears down a drain grate. After about 10 minutes of swearing, and sore fingers and thumbs I get the tire seated again. One hundred and forty-six strokes of the pump later I'm ready to roll off again. As I attempt to mount, a large sedan goes by, hits the stream of raging water, and delivers about 9000 gallons of water... all in my face. I'm really pi$$ed at this point and stomp down on my pedal to click in. Of course I miss the pedal and scrape my shin creating a nice red flow of blood to mix with the water pouring off my legs... very vivid color that turns my cycling sock an interesting shade of pink. An hour and 20 minutes later I'm back home in dry clothes logging my 36 miles on my "ride calendar" and thinking, "Man, that was a great ride."
You could have lost both tyre levers and you could have had 2 flats with only one spare tube. Think yourself Fortunate. That Sedan driver took pity on you and washed the road crud off the bike and you so saving yourself a jiob when you got home. You wont miss the pedal again so another bit of learning done, and Pink suits you.

1hr and 20 minutes to get back----- Shows you need more rides like this to build up your fitness. And as to it being a great Ride- Tell it to your mother and see if she agrees that she did raise a fool. Think she'll agree with the rest of us.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-17-06, 10:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
An hour and 20 minutes later I'm back home in dry clothes logging my 36 miles on my "ride calendar" and thinking, "Man, that was a great ride."
It's called adventure, man. Sounds like you had one!
Old 05-17-06, 11:21 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you can ride in conditions like this- with all the problems to boot- then you are one of the elitist riders that turn up every now and then. You can still get mums opinion though

Spike Milligan
Old 05-17-06, 11:22 AM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering the defination of the word Macho, derived from Machismo, I prefer to define your experience as determination and will-power. A person with less determination would have given up. So keep feeling satisfied that the obstacles did not overcome your will-power to finish the workout.

Great ride.
Old 05-17-06, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reign in.