Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burning lungs ....

Anyone here ever get what I can only describe as burning lungs when hammering on your roadie??? The thing is, I just started getting this about 3 weeks ago. I've had rubber legs, tired arms, and been out of breath but this feels different. Could it be a general fitness problem ?? Maybe I've slipped back during the winter ?? Although in March, on my second ride of the season, I rode 58 miles. I was tired but did not have the lung thing I mentioned.
    2010 Felt F75

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much have you been riding?

Perhaps a bit of overtraining or simply not resting enough?
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week I did a total of around 105 miles. Most weeks I ride 30-40 miles on Wed or Thurs night with my buds. My regular Sun morning ride, usually anywhere from 20-40 miles, depending on conditions and time. In between I play hookey from work and take a 25-40 miler, maybe every other week. I'll also do some 10 mile loop rides on my mountain bike to keep in shape. All this of course is dependent on time and weather. This is exactly what I did last year and had no problems. I started this season really well, and felt like I was progressing. However lately I feel I've fallen back because of this lung thing. By the way, I started road biking last August, so I am sort of a newbie.
    2010 Felt F75

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I would go see the doc!
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds as though you are fit enough so Unless you can find a reason- like the bike having a problem or you are getting over a cold- then it does look like doctor time.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would see a doctor, but it could be exercise-induced asthma. Do also have a cough and tightness in your chest?

Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No coughing, but yes, a little tightness. A friend in work mentioned exercise induced asthma. But why now ??? Strange !!! I've never smoked, drink very little, and had a checkup and bloodwork done in December, all A-OK. The other thing is in my area the allergens right now are through the roof, I thought maybe that was possibly the cause. I guess the Doc gets the call. Thanks for all the input !!!
    2010 Felt F75

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LEt me know what he says. I get a "burning lungs" feeling after I ride. I always figured it is the after effects of the very deep breathing I do when riding, whereas I never breath that deep just doing daily activities

Thanks
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have a respiratory infection.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about allergies? Right now we have Scotch Broom in full bloom--the hills are turning yellow with the stuff. I'm cooling down after my ride this morning and my eyes are watering heavily. Anything noxious growing your area?

JiO

Edit--Duh...just caught your post about the allergens. Never mind.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Followup

Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    LEt me know what he says. I get a "burning lungs" feeling after I ride. I always figured it is the after effects of the very deep breathing I do when riding, whereas I never breath that deep just doing daily activities

Thanks
    Bad news for me. The problem turned out to be an arterial blockage. It didn't affect me until I exerted myself. I'm waiting for final test results to determine treatment. Bummer. But i'll be back on the road in no time. : (
    2010 Felt F75

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kragg
    Bad news for me. The problem turned out to be an arterial blockage. It didn't affect me until I exerted myself. I'm waiting for final test results to determine treatment. Bummer. But i'll be back on the road in no time. : (
    Good luck on the treatment and healing!

Based on your experience, exercise besides making us healthy can also help to make medical conditions more obvious... another good reason for pushing ourselves physically, and listening to our bodies!
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgregory57
    Based on your experience, exercise besides making us healthy can also help to make medical conditions more obvious... another good reason for pushing ourselves physically, and listening to our bodies!
    This is an excellent point dgreg. The fact that we exercise allows us to push our bodies to thresholds that normal people won't. The result, a sort of early warning system. We'll find problems at an earlier stage than those who are sedentary.
    2010 Felt F75

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't always true.

Exercising generally builds a larger heart.

Large hearts are more susceptible to Atrial Fibrillation.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    This isn't always true.

Exercising generally builds a larger heart.

Large hearts are more susceptible to Atrial Fibrillation.
    OK, you stay home with your small heart..... I'm going riding!

Till my lungs burn!
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    OK, you stay home with your small heart..... I'm going riding!

Till my lungs burn!
    I don't and didn't stay home, but it certainly was a factor in my recent episode, mentioned in the literature and by the docs.

All whales have atrial fib. No mice do!

So, I guess I will just have to squeak a bit more.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad news, good news. Blockage is relatively easy to fix and you've already done the hardest part--learning to exercise afterwards. People not used to exercising have the hardest time learning and many don't have the self dicipline (or have to learn it), whereas you already have.

The other good news is that it could have been much worse--and you caught it in time.

So while the short term prognosis seems painful, the long-term is very good.

John in Oregon
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old99
    Not bad news, good news. Blockage is relatively easy to fix and you've already done the hardest part--learning to exercise afterwards. People not used to exercising have the hardest time learning and many don't have the self dicipline (or have to learn it), whereas you already have.

The other good news is that it could have been much worse--and you caught it in time.

So while the short term prognosis seems painful, the long-term is very good.

John in Oregon
    Here is someone who sees silver lining rather than focus on the down side.

Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Here is someone who sees silver lining rather than focus on the down side.
    What he said ......
    2010 Felt F75

Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final Update !!!!

Had my first drug-eluting stent placed last week. Number two this week. The Doc sez as soon
    as the groin (entry area) is healed, cleared to ride !!!!!! WOO-HOO !!!!
    2010 Felt F75

My Bikes
    Trek Cronus & 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had my first drug-eluting stent placed last week. Number two this week. The Doc sez as soon
    as the groin (entry area) is healed, cleared to ride !!!!!! WOO-HOO !!!!
    Glad things are going well. This reinforces the idea of us 50+ folks going to the doctor if we don't feel right. I have inherited high blood pressure and high cholesterol, which are controlled by diet, exercise and medication. Have to go to the doctor every six months for blood work to be sure the medicine is not cooking my liver. I also don't hesitate to go to the doctor in between if I have a health concern. I'll let him make the call as to whether something is wrong or not.

Al