Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried a Trek Pilot flat bar road bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 07:01 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

I have been considering buying a road bike for several months. I want something mid-range price, preferably 10 speed cassette triple chainring.

Yesterday I tried a medium framed Giant OCR C1. Much quicker and lighter than my tourer, but I felt all stretched out and really wasn't comfortable. Granted, it was just a 2 mile dealer loaner ride.

I was considering a Trek Pilot 1.2 flat bar or maybe even the 5.2, , possibly shorten the bars an inch or so to a comfortable width, then add curved bar ends and maybe an aero bar.

I have always heard the argument that flat bars give you only one position and it has never rung true to me. With curved bar ends pointed parallel to the ground I feel like I have at least three or maybe four positions that I can use, one of which allows me to stretch out my hands on top of the curves and still have good control, one which approximates riding on the hoods, one holding the sides of the bar, and one on the bars.

According to last weeks MRI I have apparently torn a rotator cuff (durn, I knew that shoulder had been hurting) and I don't anticipate riding on the drops.

Yesterday I turned over 1000 miles for this year and I'm really wanting a faster road bike than my 35# Scwhinn tourer with fenders and racks.

I'd like to know if anyone else has tried the flat bar road bikes and what you think of them.
Old 05-19-06, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat Bar Trek

I recently purchased a Trek 7.6 FX and I really love it. Last Saturday I completed a Metric Century on it and was great. This model has a compact double but there are other models with a triple. I have to use the flat bar because my back want allow me to ride very long with drop bars. I put bar ends on it and have not found that the "lack" of positions on the bars is a big deal. The only draw back is on very windy days there is not a lot you can do but fight the wind. I hope this helps.
Old 05-19-06, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently put a flat (actually a low riser) bar on a Giant OCR C3. The riding position is perfect. Handling is outstanding. This configuration brings together the best of both worlds. I plan on adding bar ends to it for an additional hand position. Assuming that there are reasons why a drop bar should be avoided (I have some lower back issues), you will love a flat bar road bike. By the way, I find the rapid fire shifters to be more responsive and the brake levers to be more efficient than the Shimano 105 STI controls on my drop bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6234 adj.jpg (58.8 KB, 43 views)
IMG_6236 ADJ.jpg (99.4 KB, 48 views)
IMG_6242ADJ.jpg (81.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-19-06, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mgkaplan
.........you will love a flat bar road bike. By the way, I find the rapid fire shifters to be more responsive and the brake levers to be more efficient than the Shimano 105 STI controls on my drop bar.
I'm glad to hear you say that because I really think the flat bar is best for me, for now.

As to the shifting, the bike I rode yesterday had Dura-Ace dr's with Ultegra brifters. I thought the Ultegra front shifter was no where near as crisp shifting as my SRAM twist shifters. I know I really like the Shimano STX group rapid fire shifters that are on my late 90's mountain bike. They always seem so quick.
Old 05-19-06, 11:41 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My personal experience based on bad elbows (two broken radial heads) is that flat bars produced much more fatigue and elbow pain than curved bars. I don't know if that translates to the shoulder.
Old 05-19-06, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another suggestion...

Haven't ridden that bike, but I've built a couple of flat-bar roadies out of decent road frames, and in general I like them a lot. I used them commuting and around town for three or four years in the '90s, when you hardly ever saw a flat bar road bike, then gave one to my son and sold one.
What changed my mind, though, was something you might consider: When I bought an Atlantis, I followed Rivendell's advice and set the drop bars high, about level with the saddle. I'd never been comfortable with drops, and I blamed the design of the bars, but the problem was actually the way I was setting up the bikes. If you bring the bars up you have a comfortable cruising position on the tops, you can reach the hoods more easily, and when you want to use the drops, you can get down on them comfortably. I still don't use them much--not more than 5-10 percent of the time, max--but I CAN now, in a headwind or for a change.
Old 05-19-06, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Dog
: When I bought an Atlantis, I followed Rivendell's advice ......
I can see how if you get the bars high enough its would work with drop bars. But it seems like every commercial bike I see, even the Trek Pilot and Spec. Sequoia is made to make people think they are Lance. Head down and butt up. To me its not really comfortable and, for safety, its more difficult to tell what's behind you than in a more upright position. And with threadless headsets what can you do?

I don't want to race, I just don't want to push a 40 pound bike. Maybe I'm going to have to go to a nice steel bike. Nothing wrong with that. Sure would like something with some carbon in it, though.
Old 05-19-06, 02:00 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a flat bar road bike (Specialized Sirrus) and a Trek Pilot 5.0. I owned the Sirrus first and got used to that ride. When I first tried the Pilot, I felt stretched out but after a couple hundred miles I absolutely love it. It's fast, light and comfortable. I still enjoy the Sirrus and use it for commuting and other general riding. I wouldn't part with either of them.

I've had two hip replacements and figured drop bars wouldn't be for me but this Pilot is fantastic. I guess my point is don't give up on the drop bars too soon. You may be surprised.
Old 05-19-06, 02:16 PM
Not So Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the process of changing the stem on my road bike to get the bar higher, close to level with seat. Plus I'm adding a set of brakes on the flats same as on some cross bikes. For me (and my back) I didn't like getting that far over all the time but with road bars I can still go to the hoods and the drops if need be. I considered flat bars but still more options with the road bar.
Will let you know the prognosis once I finish.
Old 05-19-06, 07:27 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Flat bar road bikes are a lot of fun for short rides in town, but a properly positioned drop bar will be much more comfortable on longer rides. I raised my bars to just below seat level and find that to be perfect for me. I know a few recent converts to road riding who have new Sequoia and Pilot bikes that are set up with the bars above seat level. If you can't get these bikes to set up this way you must be on a too small frame.
Here are some links to articles on the subject:

https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/101_dropbars.html
https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/rr_raisestem.html
https://sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html
Old 08-05-06, 11:00 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mono -- did you ever get the flat bar bike??

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-05-06, 07:38 PM

Yep, found a flat bar Fuji Absolute, an '05 model, at a bargain basement price. It's all aluminum but I just couldn't pass it up. I took it for a ride and it fit well. Eight speed/triple ring, Deore setup. I got it about the same time as Stapfam bought his road bike. I added curved bar ends laid out flat, SPD pedals, and put a Brooks Champion Flyer saddle on it. I put about 300 miles on it in three weeks before having shoulder surgery on June 29th, with the longest ride being 50 miles, and haven't ridden it since then. I blew a tire/tube on my very last ride before surgery, some kind of omen I think because I patched it, blew it again, and had to call someone to come get me. So much for the Kenda tires, but it was fairly hot that day so maybe the scorching pavement had something to do with it.

Just back from vacation and the box from Nashbar was here when we arrived home yesterday. I put a brand new set of Hutchinson 700c x 25 tires on it last night and rode it a block or so. Right now I'm limiting myself to big fat smooth tires with front suspension on smooth paths until this rotator cuff repair is further along, and even that much riding is pushing it a little.

Anyway, yes, I really like the zip of the bike and the crispness of the rapid fire shifters. At 23 pounds plus whatever the Brooks weighs it is considerably lighter than what I've been riding. For 2006 Fuji has several models of the Absolute. It may be more akin to some of Trek's fitness bikes, but the frame seemed to fit me well. Since I always work on stuff, I might consider changing to a carbon fork amd seat post, to kill some of the road buzz, even though those items would up the overall cost. It will have to do until my Rivendell custom is ready, which hasn't yet been ordered.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-05-06 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-05-06, 07:48 PM

Here's a pic.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-21-07 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-05-06, 08:50 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good lookin' bike! Love that color...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay