Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclist killed in Oregon

Another reminder of just how vunerable we really are: http://tinyurl.com/q3ll7

The up side to this--if there can be an up side--is that the local media is running with this. Hopefully awareness, from riders and drivers, will increase.

JiO
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From this report, it seems like the driver wasn't at fault. He did the best he could under the circumstances.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine, in his 70's and new to the area, took a road that I had advised against.

It is CO 86 in the Franktown area.

The road is absolutely narrow, with a bridge with no shoulders, yet at the same time, due to burgeoning construction, is loaded with gravel trucks, lumber trucks, and others at about 55-60 mph. Any shoulder there is rough with ridges.

The only time I ever took this road, I walked my bike the 1/2 mile to where it is safer again. I vowed to never do it again. Anyone who decided to "take the lane" on this route would be even more of a fool. These trucks do not slow down for much of anything.

Anyway, he decided to ride it on his new Lemond Tourmalet (he is used to riding a mtn bike) and he caught his front wheel on the ridge of the about 2 inch wide shoulder, and could not recover, as he might have with a mtn bike. It threw him out into the middle of the road. Praise the lord, there was no truck immediately coming, and he was able to get to the side, with a whole lot of road rash all over the place, and a bent brand new Bontrager front wheel.

He said he kept thinking, as he was falling, "Denver told me not to take this road."

He could just as easily have been a statistic like the one above.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-01-06 at 12:09 PM.

jock doc
    My Bikes
    Torque Titanium with 650c wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real shame of it all is, that we often times find comfort in riding with a group. It's safer, more fun, however, in this case dangerous as she attempted to avoid another rider in her group. A split second was all that it took to create this nightmare.
    May she rest in peace.
    "and chase the frothy bubbles, while the world is full of troubles..."
    W.B. Yeats

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad week for Oregon cyclists. There is a thread over in the Road Cycling forum about two killed on the 28 or 29th. The thread is Two cyclists killed near Portland Or.. Pretty sad.