User Tag List

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 Days - 585 Miles

I'm about to leave on my second AIDS/LifeCycle, riding from SF to LA (and I know there are a couple of other ALC riders out there, too. I'm rider #1801). Before I left I wanted ya'll to know that I have gained much from the 50+ group: little tips, encouragement (even though not necessarily aimed at me) and fun reads. I will miss checking in for the next few days.

I'm ready for the ride. I did a century Saturday (boy, did it hail on us, but that's another story) and felt great. Not even any saddle soreness. I was riding with some stronger riders and we averaged 15.6 mph, which included an 11 mile climb. I've averaged 200 miles per week for the last month. I've cleaned my bike (Giant OCR Limited with upgraded Nimble Spider wheels, Fizik Alliente saddle, etc.). And packed 7 jerseys, each chosen for a particular day.

So, if you are anywhere in California from SF to Santa Cruz to King City to Paso Robles to Santa Maria to Lompoc to Ventura to LA, wave. It might be me.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and we want pics---- Not of the bikes-- The pies. Haven't had many of them lately.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mojo Slim

I have done a similar charity ride for the past 3 years, and am doing it again this year (www.charitytreks.org) - there are thousands of tips, but you will work it all out. A couple that I will share:

Get some of the chamois butter that comes in little single serving sizes, and put a couple in your wedge bag - I never needed it until day 3 of my second year, but damn, when you do need that stuff, you really need it!

Take each days clothing (jersey, shorts, socks) and put it in a separate ziplock bag. makes it easier to keep the clean stuff separated from the not so clean, and if/when it rains, not everything is going to get wet.

Drink Drink Drink

And enjoy!

http://www.sourwalled.com/html/aids.html

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Sauerwald. ALC supplies those little chamois butter thingies. They're great. I grease up from day one and re-grease at noon each day. And the ziploc bag idea is a very popular one. I even put an extra GU in each day and an alternate headsweat on about day 4. My trick on drinking is to take a swig whenever I see anyone else in my group drink. Seems to work for me.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like fun! Give us a great ride report when you are done. My brother (who used to live in the LA area) did a SF to LA ride with a friend many years ago. It sounded like a great trip.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

Simi Valley, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    My Bikes
    1996 GT Force, 1999 Cannondale R1000, 2006 Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the burning question is, are you wearing a dress on day 5?
    "We just don't recognize the most significant moments in our lives while they're happening. You say to yourself, 'there will be other days'. Then you realize it was the only day".

Field of Dreams

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix Apex, Cannondale T2000, Cannondale Rize, Stumpjumper M5 Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you're way better prepared than I was when I did AIDS Ride 3 in 1996. I expect you'll be finishing early every day. Good on 'ya for doing it and enjoy your ride - it is stunningly beautiful and a memorable experience in many ways.
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc, Cannondale T2000 (touring), Stumpjumper M5 (Mtn - hardtail), Cannondale Rize4 (Mtn - full susp)

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we say inthe Navy, Fair Winds and Following Seas! Well I guess you better skip the seas part.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimiCyclist
    So the burning question is, are you wearing a dress on day 5?
    No, I just go for the red jersey and socks. But there sure has been lots of discussion on how to pack a tutu in a duffle bag!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    No, I just go for the red jersey and socks. But there sure has been lots of discussion on how to pack a tutu in a duffle bag!
    And I wear shorts, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're well prepared equipment and fitness wise.

Enjoy your ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Good luck and we want pics---- Not of the bikes-- The pies. Haven't had many of them lately.
    A longer report and more pics will follow, but I wanted to get the picture of pie posted as soon as possible. These folks just set up shop beside the road and gave pie to any rider who wanted some. There were several riders stopped. I had apple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done. Wish my rides were that organised. Apples good.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    ............... picture of pie posted as soon as possible............................
    Congratulations on the ride. Thanks for the photo... it's good to see that your priorities are in order .

Dogbait

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some more pictures from AIDS/LlifeCycle5, 560 miles (by my computer) SF to LA. I recommend this ride to everyone. The support is phenominal. The other riders (1840) and roadies (400) are super-friendly and helpful. Food is great and plentiful. Entertainment at night. Tent camping. Hot showers.
    Attached Images Attached Images