The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Me!!!!!

I was sitting here, and decided that I was going to strip parts from one of my bikes and dump the frame to thin the herd... so I made a list of my bikes. I didn't even realize how many I have.

I live in a one bedroom apartment, so I must really make room, so the Suburban is history once I strip a few pieces I want to keep, like the fenders and the alloy wheels I outfitted her with.

All of these bikes except one have something in common... I'll tell you what after I give you the list.

My current bikes are...

2003 Giant Sedona DX

1979 Schwinn Suburban

1989 Cannondale Touring

1988 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master

Early 70's Sears 10 speed

Raleigh MT 500 mountain bike

Motobecane Mixte Frankenbike

As for what makes one different from all of the others... Well, let's just say I am sick! I need help! I can't keep this up!

I have several projects going... a rewrap of some bars, building up a frame for a friend to use... A parts bike that I decided is too good to part out, so now I want to get it back on the road...

The one bike that is different from all the others is...

(drum roll please)

The Giant Sedona DX!

It is the only one I have ever rode for more than a mile... A couple of others had quick initial rides, but are projects... ONLY one has really been ridden since I got it!!!!

This sickness must end! I MUST get at least a couple of these bikes on the road, and I must also stop searching Craigs list and eBay for good cheap deals... Even yesterday I stopped at two thrift stores looking for bikes... And I almost picked one up...

Any cures?

HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!

A couple of these bikes will be on my list of bikes available for riding soon, but for now I have one bike and many parts, some of which are bike shaped and close to being real bikes. The Centurion and Sears bikes would probably be ridable if I inflated the tires, but I just got the Sears bike, and the Centurion is my gift to myself for when I get down to 220 pounds... The Cannondale is close (rewrap bars and tune-up) and the Raleigh needs a replacement fork. The Frankenbike is in need of most work, and my highest priority... it is a frame and a pile of parts at the moment...

Will I get any sympathy??????
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get on that Sedona and ride, ride, ride. Save the other projects for winter. That's my two cents.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlike some of us, you must actually like to work on bikes rather than ride them. Local charities would LOVE to have your expertise on call to help them restore bikes for the needy. After hurricane Katrina, the LBS restored and distributed hundreds of bikes. This change will focus your enjoyment of wrenching outward instead of working on your own stuff. As for the current herd, thin the flock by unloading the parts on e-Bay. Focus more on riding and you'll find that it grows on you. Good luck!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be so hard on yourself. I suggest you look at your stable of projects as "art". Personally, I like to look of different bikes. Sometimes my wife catches me in a long stare at one of my bikes. Shift the paradigm! They are a visual reminer of all that is good.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

fmw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no hope for you. I've had a little of the disease myself. Just this week I a bought a new old stock italian lugged road bike from the 1970's. It is something I needed desperately. I'd never even heard of Campagnolo Valentino before.

The doctor is clueless. He doesn't know what to prescribe. Maybe I could go back to playing golf. But I was a really terrible golfer. How's your golf game?

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmw
    The doctor is clueless. He doesn't know what to prescribe. Maybe I could go back to playing golf. But I was a really terrible golfer. How's your golf game?
    I've never played golf... perhaps I need to start buying golf clubs!

They would take up less room.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Legs sore, butt sorer
    My Bikes
    Old Bianchi Main Street, new Dynamic Tempo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Me!!!!!

Sounds like me and antique telephones - finally had to make myself quit cold turkey. (Didn't get rid of any, though.) Mebby we need a 12-step program?

Cheers!
    Neil

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out to the 50+ forum that the OP is NOT me, under an assumed name.

That said, I can definately relate! Although I do not share your passion for actually wrenching, and am pretty clueless about how to restore bikes, I do share your passion for craigslist and collecting. In my first year cycling, I've purchased five bikes, only one new, and that one the bottom of the line Trek MTB.

I finally thinned the herd by selling my singlespeed conversion -- and guess what -- my LBS saw the bike the other day -- the new owner brought it in to swap out the handlebars. LOL

I have a friend who's 69 years old and afraid to cycle. He has what he calls a "top of the line" fifteen year old 10-speed in his garage that he wants to give me this summer, after his nephews visit and potentially use it. He doesn't remember the brand. I'll take it, I'm sure.

It's all about having fun. If you're having fun, relax! Welcome to the Funny Farm!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help when you're Riding for the cure?

If your handle at the end of your message is correct, then you appear to be riding 100 km in a charity ride in 9 days. If that's true, then how could you have a stable of bikes that have not been ridden?

One bike, one house, one wife, one dog, one cat - that's all anyone needs - and that revelation came just as I turned 50 & decided that too many commitments and too much stuff drained the joy of the moment from my life. Of course, I dream of a 2nd bike & have disclosed these desires in this forum but there's still only one hanging in my garage...

My philosophy is use it or give it away or throw it away.

end of rant

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cure? Who wants to be cured of collecting bikes? Shoot, have a bike/garage sale, thin the herd, then go buy some more. The ones that don't sell donate to a good cause, then start the whole cycle over again. Who needs a cure for something that brings happiness at such a low cost? Don't let it interfere with the really important stuff, however.

Personally I don't subscribe to the one wife, one bike, school of thought. Does beer come in a one-pack? Do donuts come in a baker's one? Do you play one hole of golf? No, of course you don't--that'd be just wrong. It's natures way of telling us that one bike isn't enough.

I do believe in the one wife, one wife school of thought however. I'm not entirely crazy.

JiO
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=old99 Shoot, have a bike/garage sale, thin the herd, then go buy some more.
    [/QUOTE]

I guess coming in here asking to be cured of a bike habit is sorta like going to a crack house to be cured of your drug habit.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    My philosophy is use it or give it away or throw it away.
    Well, that is somewhat why I am thinning the herd...

I am NOT going cold turkey though!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One bike rule is stupid & must be changed

after some reflection (while riding thru the beautiful Brazos Valley countryside after rainshowers) I've decided that the 'one bike rule' is stupid and will, henceforth, be forever eliminated from my life philosophy

after all, they are lightweight, don't take up much room, aren't as expensive as most toys, ahem, tools, ahem, whatever - and they're beautiful, handsome machines that translate energy into joy
    And besides, if I only have ONE bike, what am I going to be able to share on this forum?

Yes, the one wife philosophy still holds...however, a room full of bikes that don't work seems unfortunate and deserves help.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One bike, one house, one wife, one dog, one cat - that's all anyone needs - and that revelation came just as I turned 50 & decided that too many commitments and too much stuff drained the joy of the moment from my life. Of course, I dream of a 2nd bike & have disclosed these desires in this forum but there's still only one hanging in my garage...

end of rant
    Will agree that the one bike philospophy is the right one. If you only have one bike-Then you get that one sorted for your riding style and comfort. You only have one bike to maintain and it is always kept in good condition- it has to be. Then you can also keep a tight record of the maintenance so you service the relevant bits at the right time so they don't let you down. Forget the Tandem because that is a different case- but my mountain bike is a do it all bike. It will take all the punishment I give it- Has a regular maintenance regime, and with a change of tyres will do the occasional road rides that I want to give it.

Only problem is that it is used a lot. Looks decidedly secondhand, and is 5 years old. On the road it is not the fastest machine about and the Suspension forrks do not aid speed- but do take the potholes out of the equation. I would love to get a road ride for the odd century rides- or even the metric's that come up occasionally, but It would not get ridden enough to say it warrants the expense.

Then if I do get a second bike-for road use- there are the upgrades and sorting that would have to be done. More expense on a bike that I really do not need.

Stay with one bike- Convinced myself now- so anyone want to buy 3 mountain bikes that are rarely used nowadays and two road bikes that only need a bit of attention to put thenm back on the road? These are the other bikes that are cluttering up the bike shed, but I do not want to get rid off- just in case I need them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One bike, one house, one wife, one dog, one cat - that's all anyone needs -
    Blasphemer!!!!!!
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Stay with one bike- Convinced myself now- so anyone want to buy 3 mountain bikes that are rarely used nowadays and two road bikes that only need a bit of attention to put thenm back on the road? These are the other bikes that are cluttering up the bike shed, but I do not want to get rid off- just in case I need them.
    And my sickness is such that I imediately thought "I wonder what size." Then I looked at your location and thought "It's too bad that shipping from Europe is so expensive."

Thanks for living so far away from Pennsylvania!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You always need a spare bike in case of flats, mechanical failure, or just a change of pace. I've only got 13 and always thinking of why I might need another...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good point, Stapfam

You raise a good point - that having one bike means that its importance becomes paramount and is kept in 'ready condition' at all times. Hadn't thought about that dimension to the issue.

Yes, I agree that having a road bike or something that is more fluid on the highways would be a nice addition to my singular collection. Of course, while I only have ONE, there are FIVE hanging in my garage that include my wife's, two 18-yr-old sons' (hardly ever ridden) and a daughter's (at age 14 she's not going to be caught dead on a bike). If I weren't the tallest in the family, I would be able to take advantage of the other bikes but they're all too small unless I convert one to take up BMX trick riding or something. One son has started doing our regular 11-mile route with me so there's some hope yet.

Perhaps it is the 5 bikes hanging and 4 cars parked in the driveway that cause my rants about material possessions creeping ever closer to overwhelming simplicity, beauty and acceptance of sufficiency.

My wife & I ARE saving for our new bikes, hopefully around Christmas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they're beautiful, handsome machines that translate energy into joy
    Now that looks like a great sig line.

Dagna

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good point: think I'll use it for a while...

thnx
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must... keep... myself... from... asking... sizes... of... frames!

/Esp that Dave Scott! Seriously - if you want a nice keeper and it's in good shape, hang on to that one.
    [CENTER][URL="http://VeloBase.com"][IMG]http://velobase.com/App_Themes/VeloBase2_blue/Images/VeloBase2TitleCampagnolo.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://JonPFischer.com"][COLOR="#006400"]Fischer Photography[/COLOR][/URL] - [URL="http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/785462-My-new-modern-quot-Classic-quot-Kirk-JKS-Classic-Terraplane"][COLOR="#8b0000"]Kirk Frameworks JKS-Classic Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You raise a good point - that having one bike means that its importance becomes paramount and is kept in 'ready condition' at all times. Hadn't thought about that dimension to the issue.

Yes, I agree that having a road bike or something that is more fluid on the highways would be a nice addition to my singular collection. Of course, while I only have ONE, there are FIVE hanging in my garage that include my wife's, two 18-yr-old sons' (hardly ever ridden) and a daughter's (at age 14 she's not going to be caught dead on a bike). If I weren't the tallest in the family, I would be able to take advantage of the other bikes but they're all too small unless I convert one to take up BMX trick riding or something. One son has started doing our regular 11-mile route with me so there's some hope yet.

Perhaps it is the 5 bikes hanging and 4 cars parked in the driveway that cause my rants about material possessions creeping ever closer to overwhelming simplicity, beauty and acceptance of sufficiency.

My wife & I ARE saving for our new bikes, hopefully around Christmas.
    Since posting about the one bike philosophy and Excluding the Tandem from the one bike as it is a different beastie- I went out and bought a NEW road bike- Exactly what I said I would not do so I retract all previous statements and Just want a bigger shed. Thats what you want!!! Mine is 16'x10' so if you get a longer one- you can have as many bikes as you want and still put the mower in just one corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    ...you can have as many bikes as you want and still put the mower in just one corner.
    The mower goes inside???

JiO
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I could live (and happily so) in stapfam's shed.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay