Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it...

That I can ride 12-14 mph all day long with no stress but that if I ride at 15-16 mph, I'm exhausted within an hour? Is the slower pace "below my aerobic threshold" in such a way that I don't have to exert to maintain it? Is the slightly faster pace exponentially harder to maintain?

I've been "pushing" the higher pace over the past few days to see if I can acclimate to it. If so, then I can ride longer with the same (perceived) effort and in the same elapsed time!

Incidentally, I'm now riding the Mongoose "comfort saddle" with no more discomfort than any other saddle I've tried. I have to stand up on it about every 10 minutes and then resit down, but no major pains...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The power that you have to produce to overcome air resistance goes up as the cube of your speed. Assuming no hills and low rolling resistance, you must produce about twice as much power at 15 mph as at 12 mph.

Paul

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the reasons certain people can do longer distances is that they can settle comfortably into that area that requires little effort. I find that on a long ride- I start out comfortable for an hour or so, and that first hour is probably my slowest. Subsequent hours do speed up and at some point on the ride I am really travelling. Possibly up to 2 hour ride speed.
    My problem does come in if the weather or terrain means that I have to put in more effort than I should do. That is when I start to find the Tired legs, or the back ache or general sluggish feel. Then comes the time when I realise that it is survival time and just turn the legs for a few miles, get something to eat and Drink because along with the overexertion, I have not been feeding and drinking enough.

Every one has their limits and even I can can exceed them for a while- but I am going to pay for it shortly.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH
    ...you must produce about twice as much power at 15 mph as at 12 mph.
    Thanks, Paul - that's exactly the way it feels! I'll just have to get stronger!

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    Thanks, Paul - that's exactly the way it feels! I'll just have to get stronger!
    I hate to sound like one of the weenies over in the Road Forum, but the key to getting stronger is interval training. It works, but it sure hurts like hell.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    I hate to sound like one of the weenies over in the Road Forum, but the key to getting stronger is interval training. It works, but it sure hurts like hell.
    +1

I cannot say enough about what interval training did for me over the winter. Leg strength is key if you want to get to that next level. Squats and weight training help a bunch too.

Steve

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk

+1 It is hard and it does work, however, it's also why I'm sometimes content to go a bit slower a bit longer.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to sound ignorant, but, what is interval training?
    Caruso

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi
    I hate to sound ignorant, but, what is interval training?
    Caruso
    You go fast for a while, then slow down for a while. This is a simplification, but is, in concept, correct. The fast periods get your cardiovascular system stressed, the slow periods allow recovery.

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH
    The power that you have to produce to overcome air resistance goes up as the cube of your speed. Assuming no hills and low rolling resistance, you must produce about twice as much power at 15 mph as at 12 mph.

Paul
    That figure seems a little skewed, it starts about 15 or 16 mph not 12 and then it is cubed according to what I have read. Far-do you ride with a heart monitor, cadence and a heart monitor is all I care about any more, the average speed takes care of it self.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    +1

I cannot say enough about what interval training did for me over the winter. Leg strength is key if you want to get to that next level. Squats and weight training help a bunch too.

Steve
    \
    Hey: how did that overtraining issue turn out?