Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: tight heels?

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tight heels?

This started with one heel and has now moved to both. When stretching the calves and hamstrings it feels as if the skin is pulling off the bone or a kind of burning sensation. The tightness is near the achilles. It doesn't generally affect my day to day life or biking but if stretched wrong it is pretty painful. Thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm understanding your symptoms, it sounds like plantar fasciatus, which is an inflammation of the plantar fascia tendon. It's very common and can be caused by, among other things, flat feet. I get it if I don't wear shoes that have very good arch supports. I have to wear arch supports in my street shoes because of it, and walking will aggravate it. One of the symptoms is it's usually worse in the morning when you rise out of bed.

Stretching also helps. Specifically, stretching that involves the achilles's tendon or calves.

Does this sound like what you're experiencing?

Steve

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for trying but that's not it. I'm familiar with plantar fasciitis and have had a bit of that in the past also. This is not under the foot. This tightness is on the back of the heel near the achilles.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil
    Thanks for trying but that's not it. I'm familiar with plantar fasciitis and have had a bit of that in the past also. This is not under the foot. This tightness is on the back of the heel near the achilles.
    I have similiar symptoms but one foot only. I just saw Dr last week and start PT wednesday. Dr says Achilles tendonitius (sp?). But says to do as Cheseflavor describes. Seems to help alot, but biggest help is plenty of REST days. Also good cycling shoes help. I have Shimano w/carbon bottoms & use SPD's on tourigng bike, speedplats on road bike. Dr had suggested these shoes if I didn't have them.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try moving your cleats back toward the heel a few mm. This will relieve the strain on your achilles a bit. Also, I stretch while on the bike by standing and just lowering my heel as far as is comfortable. Hold for 15 sec. each leg and no bouncing.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmerlin
    You might try moving your cleats back toward the heel a few mm. This will relieve the strain on your achilles a bit. Also, I stretch while on the bike by standing and just lowering my heel as far as is comfortable. Hold for 15 sec. each leg and no bouncing.
    Interesting you should say stretching like that. That exact kind of stretching is when I notice the pain. I will try adjusting the cleats but after riding for at least a couple years with them in that postition, it seems odd this would all of a sudden happen. Possibly it's because I'm riding more than ever before, often on a commute when I don't get time to stretch. Thanks for the input.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had time for a fairly long ride today with time to stretch out. I'm thinking the issue is calves as tight as a drum which pulls on the area in the foot. Once I had time to loosen up, stretching seemed to help alot.

I guess as we get older stretching becomes more necessary, duh!
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche