Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet Shoes - what do you do?

Before going clipless recently, I had two pair of water proof shoes - they looked like leather shoes, but were totally water proof. Overcoming rainy days was a matter of wearing a rain suit and using my Velcro pants straps to arrange the rain suit trouser legs into a sort of bell bottom cuff that controlled water and kept it from entering the tops of my shoes.

I could ride for miles in a down pour with no concern about getting wet from the outside.

Now, I have clipless pedals which, by definition, require me to wear the shoes that I bought for the purpose. I was caught at the office without my rain suit yesterday afternoon. It was warm so I decided not to worry about getting wet. Had an interesting experience and a nice ride in the rain. But, of course, I was soaked from head to toe - and, now, I'm thinking to myself that, had this been at the beginning rather than end of the day, how might I handle my revised footwear situation.

Should I just ride bare-foot (well, I mean, cycling shoes with no socks) to the office and change into socks and dry shoes after I arrive?

Is there a shoe cover that would keep my feet dry while I ride to work?

Are there special made waterproof cycling shoes?

Or, should I give in and drive the car?

Just curious what some of you do.

Caruso

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always ride with socks specifically for cycling. Hence, when I ride to work, I've always got a dry pair into which I can change. I either have a pair at the office that I brought in earlier (knowing I was cycling in later in the week), or carry the extra pair in a plastic bag.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These guys make socks that might help (never tried 'em)
    http://www.danalco.com/htmls/products/products.shtml

Or you could go in the completely opposite direction. In the summer, I ride in Shimano cycling sandals. They accept SPD cleats. They get wet, but it doesn't hurt them, since they're rubber. In the summer, I don't mind a little cooling rain on my feet.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did your feet/shoes get wet mostly from the falling rain or from the spray off the front wheel hitting the downtube and spraying outward?
    If it was from the latter, it's time for fenders.
    If it was from the former, get some waterproof shoe covers and ride with warm, sweaty feet.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron:
    Looks like those shoe covers will do the trick. This water was coming from every direction as I was riding through a deluge. The rain was coming so fast that in some spots along the way, the water was to the level of my cranks at the lowest point in my pedal stroke. Mind you, on a dry day, this road seems mostly level.

But, as hard as it was raining, there was no thunder, no wind, and the temperature was in excess of 80-degrees.

I'm sure in a rain suit with foot protection, I would likely have been dry as a bone - from the outside, at least. At 80 degrees, rain gear will make you sweat so that you get wet from the inside out unless you take it really slow.

Thanks for the suggestions. The covers look particularly interesting to me.

Caruso

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, booties are the way to go. They are part of my raingear, and I carry them while touring and on day rides when there is a threat of rain. Wore them last week diring rain on the C&O, and they were filthy from the granular/dirt trail. But my shoes were dry & clean.

By the way, booties are open to the sole, so cleats still work. And I love the name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stopped at my local LBS to see if they had any booties. All they had were called "water resistant". There was a seam down the middle over the instep area, and a zipper running vertically at the heal. The sales lady told me that they would definitely leak water at those points. She looked in her catalog and found some that were waterproof and offered to bring a pair in for me.

My question to her was why anyone would want water resistant booties. What good are they? She answered that they are effective against the wind. That doesn't really make sense to me - so I thought I would post the question here.

Under what circumstances would you prefer water resistant booties over water proof booties?

I was tempted to take the water resistant type just to have something - they might keep me dry for ten minutes or so - but, at $39.00, I wasn't willing to buy something to use until I can procure exactly what I want.

Any thoughts welcome.

Caruso

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is SO dry here that I haven't been faced with this problem.

However, I do wear the SPD sandals that Blackberry uses. And, even in Colorado, I wear them winter and summer. I think they are GREAT, and you could put a waterproof sock on, or simply get your feet wet since your temps are so warm. Just like taking a bath.

Have an extra pair of socks, and when the rain stops put them on. The sandals are non-absorbent and dry quickly.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW:
    Comments from the sales lady and other "into cycling" types on staff indicate that they consider any protection totally ridiculous. "What do you have to keep your feet dry when it rains?" was my questions. Their answer was more or less that you expect your feet to get wet when it rains.

I'm all for that on a warm weekend day when, if I choose to ride in the rain, riding is all I plan to do. That notion doesn't work so well if you are commuting. Am I out of step here?

I know I can always go online and order - and may do that if the items are slow to arrive at the local LBS.

Caruso

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi
    Their answer was more or less that you expect your feet to get wet when it rains.
    My first tour in Europe I did not have booties, my shoes and sox got soaked, I was cold and miserable by the end of the ride. When your feet are cold, you get really cold, and vulnerable. I bought the booties before my next tour, and again I had a day when it rained a lot. My shoes and sox stayed dry, as well as the rest of me, thanks to a rain jacket and pants. So, I have done it both ways and, believe me, the booties are worth it. Sounds like you need a more enlightened LBS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Sounds like you need a more enlightened LBS."
    These are experienced folks at the LBS. I doubt that I will enlighten them.
    I spent last winter using waterproof shoes and a rain suit to overcome the elements successfully. The rain suit gets hot, even on a super cold day, but you stay dry for the most part.
    The pants in combination with my Velcro leg straps kept water from entering my shoes at the ankles.

So, I know what it takes to manage the water - just have to figure out a little modification to accommodate my clipless shoes.

Thanks for the advice.

Caruso

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in FL and we get real torrential downpours here. I have not found a shoe or shoe cover that keeps the feet dry in really wet weather. Of course, it is also pretty warm so cold feet are not a problem. In colder climes, I use wool socks and shoe covers or booties and that at least keeps the feet warm enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure, in cold weather, I need to stay warm and dry - and it is always my hands and feet that give me problems. I've been out on a dark winter night with yet 30 miles to go before I get home, and my hands were so cold that I almost swallowed my pride and stopped at a private home to warm up my "finners."

I am sure it isn't "cool" but, I know have two pair each of battery powered gloves and socks - not sure how the socks are going to work with the clipless shoes, but I'll figure something out. I simply cannot take it when the extremities get so cold - I'm sure it isn't good for your "feets and finners" either.

FWIW, the heated gloves and socks make just enough heat that your hands and feet may be cool, but not painfully cold, and you can be out in really cold weather without concern that you are going to suffer frostbite.

Sorry if I got a little OT - who started this thread, anyhow?

Caruso

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get gore-tex cycling socks here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=1036592

My Bikes
    Pro-flex hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you want the water resistant booties. Corporate lawyers, or perhaps an honest marketer, will not allow them to call the booties water proof. They can't keep all of the water out. But, they do keep most out, and they do keep your feet drier than they'd be without, and they do provide a level on insulation if some water gets in.....

Around here (Minnesota), the shops sell the heavily insulated booties in the fall, and the lighter water resistant kind in the Spring.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty tough, but if it's so miserable that I actually would consider stopping at a strangers house to warm up, I'd bag it and drive. You don't want to end up as dollar-a-pound-sausage at a roadside stand, do you?
    As to 'moderately miserable weather', The choice is the same as raingear: a hot sweaty, smelly sauna, or just be wet. Ride On. Be the Cold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm pretty tough, but if it's so miserable that I actually would consider stopping at a strangers house to warm up, I'd bag it and drive."

Actually, I am glad I didn't bag it - I did make it home and felt good about that. My fingers and toes warmed up (felt really better about that), and I achieved the goal I had set for my ride. I also determined to make certain not to get caught without adequate protection in the cold again. Now, I can pretty much ride in any weather - and I feel good about that, too.

I make no judgement of you, ICM - and can assure you, on the night in question, more riders agreed with you than me.
    Caruso