Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which option comes closest to describe your riding habits?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% solo riding, 0% riding with others

28 35.90%
  • 90% solo, 10% with others

20 25.64%
  • 75% solo, 25% with others

10 12.82%
  • 50% solo, 50% with others

10 12.82%
  • 25% solo, 75% with others

3 3.85%
  • 10% solo, 90% with others

6 7.69%
  • 0% solo, 100% with others

1 1.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding Solo, Riding with Others

I ride almost always by myself. The exception is the time I spend riding with my teen age daughter, but that's probably 1% of my overall riding. Though there are several organized groups in San Diego (the Knickerbikers being the most well known) I've just never gotten into that. I suppose I like the freedom and flexibility of solo riding -- but I bet I would also like the companionship of groups.

Anyway, I thought I'd run a little poll to see how 50+ers ride. Please check the option that's closest to your style of riding.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M-F I ride solo
    saturdays and sundays I ride with my brother
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M-F I ride solo
    saturdays and sundays I ride with my brother
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing a ride called XOBA which is a cross Ohio ride, but this year I will have to pass. So all my riding is alone, once again.

I voted 100% alone.

DG, I really think you are missing a lot by not being in a group....a club or just a informal group of serious cyclists.

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always solo, usually after dinner during the week and early mornings on the weekends.

Couldn't interest my wife in cycling so I go alone.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

duo riding

My wife & I ride together most days if our work schedules allow: when I ride solo, my intensity & speed is 10 percent higher but the riding together is important. There are 3 or 4 places on our 11-mile ride together when we both push back from the bars, take a sip of water & bring up topics of discussion (usually kids, bosses, aging parents) then it's back to exercising & not trying to talk. Sometimes I feel held back by riding with her since she's into it for the exercise & not some testosterone-driven goal - but there is a sweetness to riding with someone else and sharing the effort.

My MTB with knobby tires is too slow for me to ride with our local road-riding club on their sleek steeds built for speed or at least that is what I tell myself. Perhaps I'll try a group ride one of these days when I upgrade bikes. My students ride the local MTB trails at the lake but that's 20+ minutes away by car and I'd rather be mounted & out my own driveway.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Poll, Good Question, DG. I usually ride alone, especially with one son going to college and the other discovering other sports. On the other hand I've been approached by some freinds to begin a new road group that rides after work and another freind who rides trails on Saturdays. I'll see how it goes.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a solo rider. I've gone on a few group rides, but I quickly tire of staring at someone's butt trying to keep my distance instead of the scenery.

I didn't even like group rides when I was a kid. It may be that I was the only one in the group not riding a Schwinn. My Fleetwing had gearing that as far as I can tell was one tooth lower than the schwinns, so I had to pedal harder to keep up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I ride together a bit, as much as she can.

I lead group rides on Mondays.

Besides that it is entirely solo, which I greatly enjoy.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Legs sore, butt sorer
    My Bikes
    Old Bianchi Main Street, new Dynamic Tempo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife and I usually ride together when we're both off work at the same time, but those tend to be few and far between.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to ride more with others but it is hard to work it into my schedule. in 2006 I have not gone on a group ride. I voted 90% solo. I have riden with my kids a few times.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really surprised at the large portion of riders who stated that they ride alone. I don't enjoy riding alone nearly as much as I do with a group. It is my major social interaction outside of work and family.
    Wag more, bark less

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker
    I am really surprised at the large portion of riders who stated that they ride alone. I don't enjoy riding alone nearly as much as I do with a group. It is my major social interaction outside of work and family.
    It is my "quiet" and reflection time. Almost a meditation.

I get some of my most creative thinking done while bicycling.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-03-06 at 01:52 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and ride together 100% of the time.......4 tires to pump, 4 bottles to fill, etc .....everytime a bike moves. It is great....Life is great!

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 1200 for the year, ALL Solo!!!!!

BTW- HammerMan - Do you talk to yourself alot?
    (said in Jest due to the 'double post')
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do most of my riding solo, although I have been doing some riding with people I meet on the road on Sunday mornings and I actually went on a real group ride last Tuesday night that leaves from a local bike store. I think that I might do that again sometime soon.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90% of the time I start out with a group but then the hills arrive and these are always done solo. Everyone has a different speed. Then on the flat- First one to get to a gate opens it and then rides solo to catch the others up - Then the highlight- Downhill. I always ride solo on these- as If I hear anyone behind me- I just stop braking and either out accellerate them as they cannot stay with me- or I fall off and they can't stop as they are laughing too much.

Hold on though- Most of my rides are done on a Tandem so I rarely ride solo. Only time I am solo on this is when I upset the pilot- Then it is a long walk home.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solo is commuting M-F... On weekends, I try and ride with a group (Saturday mornings) or with one or two others (usually SUnday). I don't particularly mind riding alone, but one of the nice things about cycling is that you can talk to others while you ride-- and complain together about the hills, dogs, etc that frequent our roads around here. Solo can be very rewarding, as it allows your mind to wander, but I do that every morning and every evening during the work week. Weekends are more for socializing-- and group rides are one of the best ways to do that-

train safe

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One point I would like to make is the big advantage of group riding and that is safety. I ride offroad and hate to say it but Offroad can be dangerous. I have heard of people falling off and damaging themselves, unable to walk and having to wait for another persom to pass by to get help.
    We try to ride as a minimum of 3- One with the accident- one to stay with the injured and one to get help. I know mobile phones are a godsend- but we cannot always get a signal on our hills.
    So far- within our group we have not had any major incidents. Well we have have but not that major. Had a cyclist riding with one other that had a heart attack and died- but nothing could be done about that. Had someone go over the bars and badly cut his face- but we could get over that, by getting to a road and calling for an ambulance- but we are ready, but not waiting, for that major incident.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    I ride offroad and hate to say it but Offroad can be dangerous. I have heard of people falling off and damaging themselves, unable to walk and having to wait for another persom to pass by to get help.
    Ah, stapfam , I don't quite know how to break the news to you, but some of us ride where it is safe and there are people! You know, where the sane people ride!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted 50% but that includes riding with my wife on our tandem.

Aside from that I pretty much ride by myself. If I try to ride with a group I can almost never find somebody who rides at about my pace.

Enjoy
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solo 99% of the time...to ride with someone is a refreshing change.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    One point I would like to make is the big advantage of group riding and that is safety. I ride offroad and hate to say it but Offroad can be dangerous. I have heard of people falling off and damaging themselves, unable to walk and having to wait for another persom to pass by to get help.
    We try to ride as a minimum of 3- One with the accident- one to stay with the injured and one to get help. I know mobile phones are a godsend- but we cannot always get a signal on our hills.
    So far- within our group we have not had any major incidents. Well we have have but not that major. Had a cyclist riding with one other that had a heart attack and died- but nothing could be done about that. Had someone go over the bars and badly cut his face- but we could get over that, by getting to a road and calling for an ambulance- but we are ready, but not waiting, for that major incident.
    Sometimes even that doesn't work. I was mountain biking with a group of my friends - off the back per usual - endoed and broke my collar bone. By that time they were over the next hill of course. Fortunately I didn't die or get eaten by wolves. I managed to walk/ride back out to the road and caught them at the next road crossing.

Since at the time I was already recovering from breaking the same collar bone, I had to put up with a serious lecture from my son about using good judgement in mountain bike trail selection. Considering some of the things that he's done it was a quite humorous role reversal.

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had to guess, I'd have said about 75 % with others, but I looked back on the last several years, and checked the hours on the bike and the company and it's almost exactly 50/50. The first 6 years I rode it was mostly solo. I could ride at my own pace, and think my own thoughts as I prepared for the racing season. The next 15 years, I stopped racing and began looking forward to my rides in the company of others. For the last several years I ride solo only to gain fitness to continue to ride with others.

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M-F ride by myself.

Sat, Sun, if there is a group ride that's reasonably slow, I like to join them. Usually ride Sat with group, Sun solo.

I like both. Solo: choose my own pace. Group: sociability, and the challenge of other riders' pace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast