User Tag List

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First "hot" weather ride of the year

Laramie, Wyoming is one of the colder places in the lower 49. Yesterday was my first ride of the year in temps over 80 degrees. Did a 65 mile ride on rolling hills over in the Cheyenne area with a persistent 15 mph cross wind. Gotta tell you that the heat and wind really took its toll. Looks like the warmer weather is here to stay for the summer and I will get used to it. But I did get to see a couple hundred antelope, a deer and a couple of elk (and one squashed rattlesnake). If any of you front rangers are looking for a ride that is scenic (in a prairie kind of way), good pavement and little traffic go up I-25 to the Horse Creek Road (Hwy 211 - exit 16) and ride west out towards the end. Road eventually turns north and parallels the foothills. Elevations 6300 - 7000 ft. No services (there is a post office at Horse Creek but only open in a.m.)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOPS: guess I should have put this in the share your ride thread. Sorry!

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
    OOPS: guess I should have put this in the share your ride thread. Sorry!
    You are formally forgiven!

It was 92 here yesterday, and I did about 20 miles. It does tend to get to one, but I know that folks like Far Horizon and others in the south and southern desert states ride in this stuff all the time.

Thanks for sharing. Did you drive to Cheyenne?

In about 1974, I interviewed for a position at Laramie at the U of Wyo. I did not accept because our son was having a lot of medical problems, and there was a distinct possibility that we could become snowbound in Laramie. Besides, on the day I interviewed, there was only one house for sale in the whole town!

Seems the winter weather has gotten less intense these past few years.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Touchdown Iowa!
    My Bikes
    A blue one, a red one, and a purple one, also a black and gold one.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was hotter here

around 92 the other day....but if you live in Colorado I bow down in worship. Your mountains are far worse than any heat here in the flatlands of IOway. I have noticed that I am riding much stronger as of late in the heat..I am not sure if it is the weather or that I am starting to show subtle signs of fitness.
    I have a photographic memory....unfortunately I am out of film....

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paednoch
    around 92 the other day....but if you live in Colorado I bow down in worship. Your mountains are far worse than any heat here in the flatlands of IOway. I have noticed that I am riding much stronger as of late in the heat..I am not sure if it is the weather or that I am starting to show subtle signs of fitness.
    I like the myth of Colorado being all mountainous - which the western 1/2 is. But the Eastern half (from Denver east, east of I-25) is flatter than Ioway! So, while I would like to claim that I climb huge mountains all day long, I don't. Sorry to disappoint you.

Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did drive, but I take a back road to my starting point which is the Horse Creek post office. Only 27 miles (14 of it on a gravel road). It is a very plesant drive over the Laramie Mountains. I usually poke along (on the gravel section) at about 30 mph enjoying the countryside. From the post office, I ride about 16 miles south, southeast, turnaround and ride up to the end of the pavement and then back to the post office. Much closer than driving to Cheyenne first (50 miles) and then out to Horse Creek Road.