Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Old and Tired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old and Tired

In the last three weeks I've done 340 miles. I'm feeling really old and tired right now. Think I'll do an easy ride today. Yesterday I did the metric on the Sierra Century and I was told that some poor stiff touched a wheel and slid into the other lane just as a car came along. Rest in peace.

Try not to be stupid on a bike.
    Last edited by cyclintom; 06-04-06 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a rest day!

I've often wondered how much fatigue figures into some cycling accidents. In my younger days, I'd ride until I had no energy left. I was a very stuipd way for me to ride. There were times when I had difficulty riding a straight line.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same for skiing, its that last run of the day where ligaments get ripped. In cycling, skiing, etc......alertness is down, reflexes are fried, motor control is toast. Crash.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Time VXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was my first Sierra Century and I enjoyed it although I suffered a lot due to lack of training and especially the heat. I was fine up to Fiddletown so I opted for the full century. Hale Road was tough and the finish had very little shade to hide from the burning sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had another member along who is a Triple Crown winner, who said that he cleared the top of Hale Road feeling pretty good but then exploded at 90 miles. When he came in I was sitting there in my civies after a shower and he looked like a racoon laying on the side of the road.

I didn't notice the heat much but then since I only did the Metric I was back by 1:00 or so.

I really don't have the drive to do many full centuries any more but each fall I always ride from Fremont to Monterey to get in at least that one.
    Last edited by cyclintom; 06-07-06 at 08:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read the obit about a 52yo dentist that died on a sierra century. Two years ago on a CA century, a fellow in front of me apparently bonked and swerved into traffic. We were walking past him (traffic was stopped) while the emt's were trying to get him stabilized. That was 1-2mi from the finish. He didn't make it to the hospital. We need to stop when the brain gets fuzzy and chill....nothing wrong with letting the group go on ahead. Carry a little emergency nutrition in the pocket in case the blood sugar takes a dive. There are plenty more roads ahead....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess Saturday accident was probably due to excessive speed as it was on Fiddletown Rd. east of Hale Rd. So the rider was going downhill and certainly much faster than a tractor would go. He could have been tired but I would bet speed was more a factor than tiredness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was absolutely amazed at the ignorant riding of so many on that descent. I am a fast descender and the people I was with were flying as well. But when we passed people it was ONLY when it was safe and then we gave them as much room as possible. That was kind of hard in a couple of cases since the people were riding right on the edge of their own capability and were taking up the entire lane. But we would slow and wait for a good place to pass in those cases.

But we were being passed at those points by groups of riders who had ABSOLUTELY no idea of how dangerous they were acting. They would pass leaving scant inches between handlebars of riders who obviously didn't have full control. And the numbers of people riding this way were entirely out of proportion as well.

What's becoming plain is that bicyclists are losing their fear of injury and with it their judgement about endangering everyone else on the road.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the full story from the Sacramento Bee. Very sad indeed!

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/s...15077061c.html

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclintom
    I was absolutely amazed at the ignorant riding of so many on that descent. I am a fast descender and the people I was with were flying as well. But when we passed people it was ONLY when it was safe and then we gave them as much room as possible. That was kind of hard in a couple of cases since the people were riding right on the edge of their own capability and were taking up the entire lane. But we would slow and wait for a good place to pass in those cases.

But we were being passed at those points by groups of riders who had ABSOLUTELY no idea of how dangerous they were acting. They would pass leaving scant inches between handlebars of riders who obviously didn't have full control. And the numbers of people riding this way were entirely out of proportion as well.

What's becoming plain is that bicyclists are losing their fear of injury and with it their judgement about endangering everyone else on the road.
    Very comparable to how some people drive any more, nutty world.