Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recovery Rides Tip

We've had several posts recently for recovery rides. After a few miles into it, it's really easy to get the urge to pick up the pace and go too hard......which defeats the whole purpose of a recovery ride.

This morning it was an absolutely perfect morning to ride...cool temps, cloudless skies and no wind. Right after sunrise I convinced my wife to ride with me but she would only go and ride if I went her pace. AFter the 90+ miles yesterday her pace was exactly what I had in mind.

We did a nice ride of 20 miles and averaged about 14 mph. Funny, but I never really notice any dogs while I'm out riding but this morning we apparently woke up 3 dogs with one of them giving us chase.

Here's a couple shots of my riding partner. (I apologize for them being a little blurry but I'm still trying to learn out to take digital shots while riding)
    Attached Images Attached Images

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    We've had several posts recently for recovery rides. After a few miles into it, it's really easy to get the urge to pick up the pace and go too hard......which defeats the whole purpose of a recovery ride.

This morning it was an absolutely perfect morning to ride...cool temps, cloudless skies and no wind. Right after sunrise I convinced my wife to ride with me but she would only go and ride if I went her pace. AFter the 90+ miles yesterday her pace was exactly what I had in mind.

We did a nice ride of 20 miles and averaged about 14 mph. Funny, but I never really notice any dogs while I'm out riding but this morning we apparently woke up 3 dogs with one of them giving us chase.

Here's a couple shots of my riding partner. (I apologize for them being a little blurry but I'm still trying to learn out to take digital shots while riding)

O K how many husband points did you get on this ride.

Still trying to get over my mud plugging from a few weeks ago, so a gentle ride on the cards this morning. Only one other rider and a lot of road and one long drag of a hill to keep the legs working. Have to agree that the recovery ride routine has bought my legs back today and the road side of things means that I will be down the LBS tommorrow for a road test on the Giants. (I might come out of this dark side nightmare shortly.)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I really need to enforce a recovery ride on myself, I head for the trainer in the garage and a netflix on the dvd while I ride.........no winds to buck, no dogs to escape, no lights to beat, no other riders to catch or stay ahead of. Just mindless, relentlessly simple spinning while Bogey sits thinking of Paris (after all, we'll always have Paris) at that bar and his overhead fan spins languidly...hopefully like my trainered cranks.l
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    When I really need to enforce a recovery ride on myself, I head for the trainer in the garage and a netflix on the dvd while I ride.........
    Wow, you must have a different kind of trainer than I do. I don't go near my trainer except in the most dire periods of riding withdrawal and we're talking really dire here. Regardless, it would be a last resort for me.

Dennis
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    When I really need to enforce a recovery ride on myself, I head for the trainer in the garage and a netflix on the dvd while I ride.........no winds to buck, no dogs to escape, no lights to beat, no other riders to catch or stay ahead of. Just mindless, relentlessly simple spinning.................l
    I do the same for another reason. The roads from my home are a study in terror for bikers. The pavement is bad, the drivers are not used to bikers, never heard of a bike lane. Our Governor is openly hostile about bikers.
    So what to do? Put the bike on a car and go to Wisconsin about one hour away. That does not work on weekdays. I need exercise. There is the much abused, mindless trainer. It helps keeping me fit and healthy. I look at people my age without that kind of intense exercise. That scares me right back on my trainer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do recovery rides on a very flat bike path that runs past my house (approximately 40 miles of flat riding). The rules that keep from pushing too hard on the bike path are: 1. It's OK to let someone else pass you; 2. It's OK to not pass others.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do recovery rides on a indoor trainer also-no wind or hills to send your heart rate into outer orbit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your recovery ride would be a normal work out for me if you actually average 14 mph. I must be the most out of shape biker around - I never get my average much above 13-14 mph.

Caruso

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right about the wonderful weather. As I went out this morning the temp was 56F, really unusual for a Carolina summer, but I am not knocking it. It was one of those perfect mornings, got in a nice 15+ miles and in the shower before 6:30
    June July and Aug should be good riding months for me, little business travel.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One trick that I use for recovery rides is to use my old bike, a 1986 Cannondale. If it wasn't aluminum it would be a real retrogrouch ride: Brooks Pro saddle, Mavic GP4 (tubular) rims laced to Campy Record hubs, Suntour Superbe Pro pedals with toe clips, friction shifting on the down tube Suntour Cyclone front and rear. It's like riding with an old friend.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.