I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter refuses to walk!

My 15 year old daughter, for whom I bought two used beach cruisers so we could ride together when she's at my place, now simply REFUSES to walk for any errand in the neighborhood, be it picking up some dinner, getting a video, etc. Even if it's just a block, we have to ride the bikes. And of course, take a long route. Nowadays she looks for an excuse for us to run an errand, even after we've had a few miles of pure recreational riding.

I'm a lucky guy and a happy dad!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, pops! You should be proud.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digital Gee,
    Thats great. I got to ride with my wife (she has complained of knee problems and has
    been off the bike for months but did OK today on a flat ride.) and daughter for 3 3/4 miles
    around an airport.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    My 15 year old daughter, for whom I bought two used beach cruisers so we could ride together when she's at my place, now simply REFUSES to walk for any errand in the neighborhood, be it picking up some dinner, getting a video, etc. Even if it's just a block, we have to ride the bikes. And of course, take a long route. Nowadays she looks for an excuse for us to run an errand, even after we've had a few miles of pure recreational riding.

I'm a lucky guy and a happy dad!
    Get her out on an expedition. Get a 20miler out and back sorted- then a bit longer and perhaps she can join you your next Metric.== at this rate the beginning of July.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digital Gee
    I have an 18 year old son who will be going off to college this year. He doesn't drive, and has no interest in driving. His choice of school was based partially on finding a school in a city where he could live car-free. That said, if you asked him if he was a cyclist, he would answer 'NO', that he just uses a bike to get around, along with public transport.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice post DG. Like you my percentage of riding with my children comes to about 1%, but it is really a great 1%

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fathering skills at their best! Looks like you planted a seed that's going to grow.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats...but protect her inheritance

My daughter, now 30, started with a BMX, then 7 spd coaster when young...when 21, she talked me into getting her a teched-out Trek 7600zx, at 28, a Trek 7500 fx, now a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (She bought her own 1985 Vespa)

Working for our Ministry of Natural Resources, she moved to a small town, bikes everywhere...and is filling in at a Provincial Park in northern Ontario for the summer...first thing she took up was a bike...rides even in black fly season

What a kid but dads in the poor house

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you . . . but give her a year. When my daughter was that age, I couldn't get her off the mountain bike (we live in the Sierra, with a lot of good MB riding close by). Then she turned 16, got a drivers license and I don't think she's put 50 miles on the bike in five years.
    Interesting thing is that several of her high school friends are in college on athletic scholarships (girls' and boys' soccer, football and baseball), and they're home for the summer, and ever damn one of them is amazed that I ride a bicycle 10 miles to work. They can't even imagine it.

lhc
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think she loves spending time with her Dad even more than riding her bike. Treasure this time.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for her and good for you.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    Congrats...but protect her inheritance

My daughter, now 30, started with a BMX, then 7 spd coaster when young...when 21, she talked me into getting her a teched-out Trek 7600zx, at 28, a Trek 7500 fx, now a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (She bought her own 1985 Vespa)

Working for our Ministry of Natural Resources, she moved to a small town, bikes everywhere...and is filling in at a Provincial Park in northern Ontario for the summer...first thing she took up was a bike...rides even in black fly season

What a kid but dads in the poor house
    Thanks. You just scared the willickers out of me!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerwald
    His choice of school was based partially on finding a school in a city where he could live car-free.
    I have to recommend University of California, Santa Barbara as an outrageously great place. UC Davis is of course a bicycling Mecca.