Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I lost my screw!!!!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I lost my screw!!!!!

Old 08-12-06, 10:29 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I lost my screw!!!!!

You're probably thinking I should be posting this "mechanical stuff" in the mechanics forum but am posting here for the whole levity of 50+ er's benefit.

It's another do it yourself story.

It's raining here in NC and a perfect morning to finish up some bike adjustments. The final piece of the makeover of Miss Lightweight and the Madone was to install the gear indicator on the rear shifter cable. It's a 5 minute job. Just cut the crimp cap off the end of the derailleur cable, pull the cable up to the shifter, remove the housing, shorten the housing at the bars (with my new Park Tool cable cutters) the length of the gear indicator, slide on the gear indicator and reinstall the cable and new cable end.

Well, when I started to remove the cable it had frayed where the nut holds it to the derailleur so I decided to go ahead and replace the cable. For one thing, getting a frayed cable rethreaded through the housing is impossible without messing it up more than it already is. No problem-I had the foresight to buy a new cable at my last visit to the LBS just in case!!! Hooray!!!!

However, I did need to remove a very small cover on the top of the shifter to completely remove the cable. I've done that before and it's no biggie. There is a teenie, tiny screw that holds the black plastic cover in place on this style DuraAce shifter. To get to the screw you simply hold the brake open and remove the screw and plate. I was thinking it would be nice to have an extra hand but I can do it since my screwdriver is supposedly magnetic and will hold the screw on the tip when it comes out.

Very, very bad assumption. I get the screw out easily but as I move away it jumps off the screwdriver, I can't see it but as it drops it hits the front spokes and then I think I hear it bouncing away from me and off the front tire of my wife's car in my garage.

I look and look and look.......I've lost my screw!!!**********!!!!#####!!!!! To make it worse I'm badly nearsighted and didn't have on my corrective lenses. Plus it was dark under the car. I was afraid to move the car as with my luck I was fearful the screw would stick in the tire. The wife needed to leave so I let her move it and go on her way.

After a lot of searching I found the darn thing.......and it was in the completely opposite direction from where I thought it was. On the other hand I found another screw that looks like it might have come off one of my bikes but I can't find anything missing!!

Below are pics to help for those that need the visual. The small screw to the right of the dime is the one that was on the shifter. The one to the left is the one I found. The views of the shifter show the little bugger sitting on the black plastic cover back in it’s place all safe and sound…….for now. At least I got a little smarter and got something to hold the shifter open while I installed the screw and cover.

Hey, if anyone wants me to work on their bikes I’d be more than happy to!! You must sign a letter of indemnification first though!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dime.jpg (12.5 KB, 199 views)
Top View.jpg (25.1 KB, 12 views)
Side view.jpg (22.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-12-06, 11:39 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More reasons to suport my decision to let my LBS do the mechanicals on my bike...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-12-06, 12:00 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
However, I did need to remove a very small cover on the top of the shifter to completely remove the cable.
- i empathize completely, and have gone through more stuff to accomplish what should be a simple 3-minute task in only 4 hours...

- but honestly, you kind of lost me about about removing the shifter cover - i've never to do this to remove, replace, or reinstall a cable - ever...

:-)