Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Went Out with a 23-Year Old Yesterday

And the wife didn't even mind.

Yep, I took my 23-year-old Trek 700 out for a spin. In its day it was considered a fairly sharp bike. It still has its original campy headset, Sun Tour Superbe brakes, shifters and front derailer. It was my main squeeze bike for more than two decades, but a couple of years ago, I got a modern road bike and kind of let the old-reliable gather some cobwebs.

I was amazed at the plush ride of that fine, old bike. I can't wait to take her out again soon. If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can post some pix.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes indeed...i still ride my Trek 730 on the weekends, its my main errand bike, and I also ride my Gitanne Professional Tour de France roadie occassionally, my wife's #2 road bike is her old Peugeot Super Sport 10 speed

There's something about those vintage bikes...almost bought 2 1950's Schwinn cruisers a lawn sale last week...would have if I knew where to find those 26x1.5 tires they need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is amazing to ride one of those old Peugeots and feel how they ride much better than most modern bikes. The components suck but the ride, man, the RIDE.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can post some pix.

Yes, pictures.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    There's something about those vintage bikes...almost bought 2 1950's Schwinn cruisers a lawn sale last week...would have if I knew where to find those 26x1.5 tires they need
    FWIW, any LBS can order those tires--they're still pretty common--so don't pass a good deal because of that. As for riding an old Schwinn, I bought a Schwinn cruiser a few months ago from a thrift store. It needed tires so I didn't get a chance to ride it before I got it home. Got it home, installed tires, rode it down my driveway to the alley, and back up the drive--maybe 100 feet--and decided "nope" and put it up for sale. It may have been wonderful 40 years ago, but not now.

I personally prefer the older lightweight iron from the 60's and 70's. I think it was the pinnicle of building steel bicycles; almost a century of it by then. By the 80's, manufacturers were experimenting with other materials and geometries trying to hang on to what was left of the boom. Not necessarily making better bikes, just different. And I'd agree somewhat about the componentry although I'm not sure there's anything better today than Record or Superbe with maybe the exception of Wood hubs and bb's.

And Yes!! Photos!!

JiO
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old99
    FWIW, any LBS can order those tires--they're still pretty common--so don't pass a good deal because of that. As for riding an old Schwinn, I bought a Schwinn cruiser a few months ago from a thrift store. It needed tires so I didn't get a chance to ride it before I got it home. Got it home, installed tires, rode it down my driveway to the alley, and back up the drive--maybe 100 feet--and decided "nope" and put it up for sale. It may have been wonderful 40 years ago, but not now.

I personally prefer the older lightweight iron from the 60's and 70's. I think it was the pinnicle of building steel bicycles; almost a century of it by then. By the 80's, manufacturers were experimenting with other materials and geometries trying to hang on to what was left of the boom. Not necessarily making better bikes, just different. And I'd agree somewhat about the componentry although I'm not sure there's anything better today than Record or Superbe with maybe the exception of Wood hubs and bb's.

And Yes!! Photos!!

JiO
    Just because it has 1.5 tyres on it now- it doesn't have to stay with them. If Slicks- then it is a common size for mountain bike slicks. I personally run 1.4's on the Tandem and these are just a cheap durable Road tyre with a bit of tread, and if you want a full treaded tyre- then Continental cross country in 1.5 are a good tyre for trails- good even for offroad mud and are a good road tyre aswell.

Going onto the 40 year old bikes- Steel was the only material to have. In fact in the 60's there was no choice- Then chromoly tubing started to come in and then Double butting of the tubes. Compared to a 60's steel plain gauge tubed bike- then give me a double butted chromoly bike of the 80's any day. Then in the late 80's came the new material- Aluminium. Fat tubes made some of the bikes look a bit wierd but the theory was that with a fat tube- you could go thinner on material and hence get a lighter bike. It got to the stage where all the manufacturers were making Fat Tubed alloy frames but in commercial practice they forgot about the Thin walls and most alloy frames were back to the weight of the 60's steel. Then came the new steel alloys and Titanium. None of which seemed to work better than the Chromoly tubing, were not any lighter and did not have the resilience of steel. In 92 I bought a GT Pantera in Fat tube aluminium- Boy was that bike heavy but the stiffeness of the frame made it a dream to ride offroad uphill. No frame flex so all the pedal power went into the wheel. It was about this time I started thinking about Suspension forks because with this material you needed them.

Look at the choice today and there are few steel bikes around but those that are- Providing it is made with the right material- are a good lightweight bike that gives a comfortable ride and will still last forever. Aluminium frames seem to have taken over, and they are light- the fat tube syndrome is almost in the past, and they still are stiff for hill climbing but you need a young supple body to ride them. Titanium frames have come down in price a lot, and are almost affordable but the ride quality of them is fantastic. Then Carbon fibre- Not a material I favour but For a strong lightweight frame, that is comfortable and handles- then it is still a material to look at.

The choice of materials today is immense but if you want reliability, light weight, handling and comfort- then there is still only one ,material to go for- so why are all 3 of my main bikes- Cannondale Tandem, Bianchi Mountain bike and the Giant Road bike all made of aluminium. I'll let you know if I can figure it out.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Trek about that age (bought it used, so I'm not sure), and it's a really sweet ride, but I moved up to an Atlantis and Rambouillet in a midlife crisis. Couple of years ago I turned the Trek into a singllespeed by removing all the obvious stuff and using the old middle chainring (34t) with a BMX freewheel and a $1 spacer to get the chainline right. It lost a surprising amount of weight in the process, feels light and lively and it's a hoot to ride. I use it all winter with fenders--maintenance just takes a garden hose and chain lube.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    23 years old? Only my mountain bike is newer than that!
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclintom
    It really is amazing to ride one of those old Peugeots and feel how they ride much better than most modern bikes. The components suck but the ride, man, the RIDE.
    The solution is simple: switch over to Japanese or Italian derailleurs.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks...looks like i'll miss the Schwinns as the owner's house sale closes on the 23'rd and i'll be out of town until then, however, i was thinking of flipping these bikes over in Toronto as they're in demand with the retrourbanites.

Both bikes were in perfect condition (look like they just came out of the lbs), he picked them up 2'nd hand in the 60's (owner is 77!) in Fort Wayne, Indiana... one is a ladies 3 speed with coaster brake, the men's is a 5 speed but needs a new tire.

He wants $30.00 cad for both...they sell for +$125.00 cad each, in the city

a few pics of some of the bikes we ride:

Edit...there's no way i can get the pics to load...will try later
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jm01; 06-08-06 at 01:24 PM.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    duplicate post
    Last edited by jm01; 06-14-06 at 09:15 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    yes indeed...i still ride my Trek 730 on the weekends, its my main errand bike, and I also ride my Gitanne Professional Tour de France roadie occassionally, my wife's #2 road bike is her old Peugeot Super Sport 10 speed

Doh! 26x1.5 tires are available everywhere! You can get them at WalMart even.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    Uh....there are 26" and there are 26" and they're not the same. Actually, 26" mountain bike and 26" Schwinn specific tires are different and not interchangable (see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/26/index.html for more info).

I'm not sure if WalMart is carrying the Schwinn specifics, but they are available--many bike shops still stock them and if not, can get them.

JiO
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up a Trek 560 from the same year as Blackberry's bike. One of my neighbors was selling it for the grand sum of $3. I pumped up the tires, cleaned the chain, wiped off the dust and adjusted the bars. It has an impressive ride, but it also has 12 speed, friction shifting with 23 year old tires. Still for $3, I'm enjoying riding a nice 501 frame. I take it out about once or twice a week just for fun.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! I want a $3 bike!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few pix of the Trek 700:
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still kicking myself over putting my mid-70s Raleigh Competition Reynolds 531 out on the curb a few years back.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Damn! I want a $3 bike!
    How about $0.00, for an all original, 1966 vintage Collegiate (that didn't sell at the Church Yard Sale and was destined for the Town Dump)? It still needs a significant amount of elbow grease to clean it up, but it holds lots of promise. It matches the year and color of the Schwinn Paramount I've been working on all winter. Does it bring back any memories?
    Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 06-09-06 at 02:20 PM.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    How about $0.00, for an all original, 1966 vintage Collegiate (that didn't sell at the Church Yard Sale and was destined for the Town Dump)? It still needs a significant amount of elbow greese to clean it up, but it holds lots of promise. It matches the year and color of the Schwinn Paramount I've been working on all winter. Does it bring back any memories?
    Sweet. Love the color!

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about $0.00, for an all original, 1966 vintage Collegiate (that didn't sell at the Church Yard Sale and was destined for the Town Dump)? It still needs a significant amount of elbow grease to clean it up, but it holds lots of promise. It matches the year and color of the Schwinn Paramount I've been working on all winter. Does it bring back any memories?
    A couple of weeks ago the Dallas Craigslist had two beautiful his & her Collegiates for sale. The ad said they had hardly been ridden, spent their lives inside, and the pics seemed to verify same. They were a beautiful copper color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful bike !

I find the understated elegance of the high end steel Treks of the seventies and eighties irresistible. Nice frame, good eclectic part mix, just beautiful !

My Bikes
    1981 schwinn cross road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very sweet bike pastor... worthy of redemption (wink)!

and yea it does bring back memories.

al
    if you don't belive in something... you'll fall for anything
    ~b.dylan~

My Bikes
    1981 schwinn cross road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SUPER SWEET MACHINE !!!
    if you don't belive in something... you'll fall for anything
    ~b.dylan~

fmw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't do this any more.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    Thanks..went to my local W-M, found they had 8 tires...6 26x1.95 MTB tires ($7.00 Kendas), 1 hybrid, 1 24"...don't really have much up here in Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast