Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Leaving for BRAG

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Leaving for BRAG

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-06, 04:59 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Leaving for BRAG

I'm on my way out the door to go start my 14th Bicycle Ride Across Georgia. See y'all in about a week!
https://brag.org/
Old 06-10-06, 06:07 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
BluesDawg,

Good luck and good rides! Three times during my 10+ years of ministry in Georgia BRAG riders passed the two churches I served on Sunday mornings. Each time I was greeting people as they left the service and as they chatted or said something about the sermon, I kept thinking--- "Man, I wish I was doing that!" You probably passed me once in Kelleytown and maybe in Conyers. Did you catch my good vibes?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-10-06, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Pictures upon your return!
Old 06-10-06, 09:52 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget pie!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-10-06, 10:06 AM

Bikes: 2 canondale road bikes, one modified for touring, one virgin. Co-Motion Nor'wester on order now (2/5/06)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'm on my way out the door to go
HTML Code:
start my 14th Bicycle Ride Across Georgia
. See y'all in about a week!
https://brag.org/
I guess BluesDawg is on the road, but I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this. I ride a lot of tours, and there is always a group who proudly proclaim their 14th or 20th or whatever time doing the same ride. Many of these people have never done another tour.
I have a lot more fun doing different tours in different parts of the country, and kind of see doing the same old tour year after year as a lack of imagination (no offense intended.)
Anybody else have a preference for doing the same tour repeatedly or different tours each year?
Old 06-10-06, 10:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OBXBIKR
I guess BluesDawg is on the road, but I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this. I ride a lot of tours, and there is always a group who proudly proclaim their 14th or 20th or whatever time doing the same ride. Many of these people have never done another tour.
I have a lot more fun doing different tours in different parts of the country, and kind of see doing the same old tour year after year as a lack of imagination (no offense intended.)
Anybody else have a preference for doing the same tour repeatedly or different tours each year?
I will never ride any tour more than once......too many tours available.

https://www.nbtda.com/
https://www.bicycletour.com
Old 06-11-06, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually do 4-5 tours a year. I pick states I can drive to within 24 hours from Michigan. I try to do one mountain ride out west that I fly to (Arizonia, Colorado, Utah, etc.) I will ride the same ride about 3-4 times if they change the route. Sometimes I do the same ride because of the time frame. Only 2 state (cheap) rides are available in early spring (Bike Florida and Safari Bike-Florida) and then in October, the last state ride is Cycle North Carolina. I bought all the lightweight gear and panniers to start riding on solo unsupported tours, but I do like be on group tours where you can talk to people when you get in from the ride. This year I cycled "Bike Florida" (cycled in 2005 also) and will be leaving next week for "Bike Virginia" (new) I'll probably use the same route as 2006 Bike Florida and do it solo in November/December if I don't sign up for CNC. Lots of fun. BTW, you see a lot of the same people on the rides so even if you go by yourself, you can usually find someone to hook up with and hang around with at Dinner or the nightly entertainment. I usually ride by myself and lunch with whoever is at the lunch stop. I leave early and see the same people each day that leave early, it is a nice way to meet people.

P.S. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting in this forum, I am only 48 but the average age on most tours is 60 I think.
Old 06-11-06, 03:37 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Posted by outofshape: BTW, you see a lot of the same people on the rides so even if you go by yourself, you can usually find someone to hook up with and hang around with....
Don't worry. They let me in here. We help keep the average age slightly lower. Interesting--- I never saw the same people twice at BRAG--- from the front steps to the church!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-11-06, 04:35 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=outashape This year I cycled "Bike Florida" (cycled in 2005 also) and will be leaving next week for "Bike Virginia" (new).[/QUOTE]

Hope you like Bike Va. I've done it four times, and had a blast each time. They've really got the organization down to a science. The rides are great and there's plenty to do off the bike.
Old 06-11-06, 07:47 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Good luck with your tour. I watched the start of this year's RAAM this morning, at the Oceanside Pier. We had a good spectator turnout, which the contestants must have appreciated.

I am rooting for the Austrian hand cycle team, which is averaging about 10mph so far.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-18-06, 09:27 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

OK. Here are a few pictures for you. My 50+ group of friends who do this ride together each year is Team Occisus Via (almost Latin for Road Kill). We had a great time this year. We have become a big part of the ride for many people with our silly campsite decorations, our constant partying and our dropping Mardi Gras beads on roadkill we see along the route. As you can see from the pictures, we're not quite right. But we sure have fun!

Would love to do other week-long rides some day when money, vacation time and family logistics allow, but for now, the annual BRAG ride works for me.

https://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...les/06%20BRAG/

Last edited by BluesDawg; 06-18-06 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-18-06, 06:58 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That looked like a really fun few days of riding!! What route did it take this year?
Old 06-18-06, 08:22 PM
just keep riding

We started in Dalton, in northwest Georgia and zig-zagged across the northern part of the state, ending in Augusta on the east side. We weren't quite in the mountains, more like the foothills. But it was a pretty challenging ride with many short hills and a few long ones. We never had a truly flat day, but the last two days had long flat or mildly rolling sections where pace lines became common. It was very hot most of the week with temperatures in the 90s except on Tuesday when it was cool and misty most of the day.
I would have liked to see the route stay a little farther north, away from the traffic of the ever-expanding gridlock of Atlanta. It got pretty hairy on the roads leading to Gainsville.

Next year's route will go across the flat, mosquito and gnat infested southern part of Georgia. I think I'm going to take a year off and have a regular, no-cycling family vacation.