User Tag List

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy Seat... anyone use one?

After getting into bicycling last year, I quickly realized that -- due to physiology and age, I guess -- I should really look into some variety of noseless or other alternative bike seat. I've noticed several times since that if I travel more than about 5 miles on a traditional seat, my prostate feels like it is the size of a football.

After doing some research, I found Jim Langley's bike seat page, http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bicycleseats.html, and found the Easy Seat. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=17880&src=TSC

I found one at the local LBS and immediately loved it. Or at least found it was a "no pain" solution.

One problem with the noseless seat is that you lose a little extra balance. This requires more effort from the upper body. One side effect is that you really should NEVER take both hands off the bars. You might get away with this on the traditional seat, but it is very tricky on a noseless seat. I think another side effect is that the arms, shoulders, wrists take a little more abuse...

Anyway, I am looking into buying another bike, maybe a Bianchi Volpe. Just wondering if anyone out there uses a touring-type bike with this type seat. I did see in Bicycling magainze couple of months ago a story about an ecologist type who was touring California - Argentina. When I saw his picture, noticed that he was doing the touring on an Easy Seat.

Are there other noseless seat users out there?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Easy Seat is a fundamentally flawed concept, precisely because of loss of control and stability ("little extra balance").

What types of saddles have you been using? I have a narrow padded Marin which causes me pain in the perinaeum after about 15 mi / 25 km , but I always find all three of my tensioned leather Brooks saddles extremely comfortable. If you react badly to any saddle, consider a recumbent bike. Also, experiment a bit with handlebar height, stem reach, seat height, and seat tilt.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    What types of saddles have you been using?
    Mostly using the Bianchi stock seat. For ex, I took the Volpe into the LBS parking lot yesterday for an extended spin and today I can feel it. I also have a Bianchi hybrid... different seat, but similar experience. Also, tried a Surly Cross-Check, but felt ill just looking at that seat... :-)

I have a narrow padded Marin which causes me pain in the perinaeum after about 15 mi / 25 km , but I always find all three of my tensioned leather Brooks saddles extremely comfortable.
    I hear a lot about the Brooks on BF but I feel reluctant to spend the money for one when they seem to have the same feature -- hard nose -- as the seats above. However, from what you say, maybe I should think about it.

One I have been looking at is a Serfas seat that has a nose, but also has a wide extended channel through the whole seat. http://www.touringcyclist.com/gear/model_7959.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a similar two pad hinged seat and it did cure prostate irritation. However, the pads ride lower on your leg which changes the geometry. This led to excruciating hand pain. Then I went 'bent & most pain problems resolved. bk

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SheldonBrown.com has a good article on saddles. He's a fellow Brooks fan.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saddles...........

gerv,

If you are interested in a Brooks saddle I would suggest getting it from these folks. They had a six month full refund policy. I kept my B-17 Champion and couldn't be happier. My butt is the only thing that doesn't hurt after some rides.

http://www.wallbike.com/

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Easy Seat is a fundamentally flawed concept, precisely because of loss of control and stability ("little extra balance").
    Although it has a distinct downside, the Easy Seat was the only one that immediately relieved the after-ride pain. I found it difficult at first, but after a few rides, started to get used to it.

There were two things that helped: had to ensure the handlebars were a little higher (otherwise, you tend to slide forward) and the seat is actually pointed at the front so that some of the advantage of the regular nose seat -- particularly the balance -- could be offset by having the points dig into the back of the leg. Hand pain is not excruciating, but on longer rides there is more stress on the arms, shoulders, wrist.

My Bikes
    2 canondale road bikes, one modified for touring, one virgin. Co-Motion Nor'wester on order now (2/5/06)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have come to believe that all these "seat" problems are really bicycle fit problems. If your bike fits properly, the saddle should be virtually unnoticeable. Before using a saddle that contributes to instability, I'd suggest getting a good professional fitting. A sore butt may be better than road rash--or worse.